Don't drink and bicycle in Bordeaux

Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Don't drink and bicycle in Bordeaux

14 REPLIES
James
Grafter

Re: Don't drink and bicycle in Bordeaux

It's an offence to drink and cycle over here too isn't it?
Fixes: 104

Yup...
CYCLING WHILE DRUNK
Cycling is intoxicating, it gives a natural high but it's also a very sociable activity and those who partake in the weekend 'pub run' will attest that cycling is easier after the odd drink or two.
A social tipple, imbibed in moderation - the proverbial swift half - will not lead to a massive impairment in your ability to ride home but, despite alcohol's pain reducing effect, it impairs athletic performance so too much booze is bad for biking.
The Licensing Act 1872 makes it an offence to be drunk in charge of a bicycle (or any other vehicle or carriage, or cattle) on a highway or in a public place but this old law also forbids any public drunkenness - even in a pub - so is clearly never enforced.
In law a bicycle is defined as a carriage for use on the highway but cyclists are not in charge of 'mechanically propelled' vehicles so, in law, do not have to adhere to exactly the same 'drink drive' rules as motorists.
Section 30 Road Traffic Act 1988 says: "It is an offence for a person to ride a cycle on a road or other public place when unfit to ride through drink or drugs - that is to say - is under the influence of a drink or a drug to such an extent as to be incapable of having proper control of the cycle.
In Scotland a PC may arrest without warrant a person committing an offence under this section. There is no obligation for a cyclist to submit to a blood or urine alcohol test.
'Road' in the above bit of legislation includes a bridleway so don't think you can get blotto at a country pub and ride home 'off road' without risk.
And here's the rub. If you ride drunk you risk endangering yourself and possibly others by your actions. Would you ride home blindfolded? Beer-googles and bicycles do not mix. And, as stated above, cycling 'dangerously' can be fined by up to £2500.
You cannot get endorsements on your UK driving licence for a 'drink cycling' offence. Some US States have such a law so be careful when searching on this topic via Google.
The UK Highway Code - a useful but not a definitive source for UK legislation on motoring and cycling offences - says the penalty point system is "intended to deter drivers from following unsafe driving practices...The accumulation of penalty points acts as a warning to drivers that they risk disqualification if further offences are committed."
Note the word 'drivers.'
Will Moderate For Thanks
Euge
Grafter

Don't the pubs in Holland have places to put your bike. Might not be true but i know they love their bikes and the dutch guys I met said they used to ride home from the pub all the time  Undecided
Fixes: 104

Yeah me too... just never been stopped  Wink
Will Moderate For Thanks
Euge
Grafter

I'm bad enough walking, I dare not try a bike I tend to end up in stinging nettles and such and the extra time taken to sober up and eat my chick king was always welcome. Plus a bike would be a bit inconvenient anyway. Seems like the kind of thing you'd do if you used your local village pub not a pub in town centre.
Fixes: 47

As the comedian said..."Thank God I had the car, I was in no state to walk home" Smiley
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
James
Grafter

Quite a few of the lads here cycle into work and home.
Not me though - far too much like exercise.
Fixes: 47

Don't you frequent the PN 'fitness suite' James Smiley
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
James
Grafter

Obviously just to keep my biceps toned.
jmd
Grafter

Don't you do that Jamesesh by lifting a glass?
scootie
Grafter

lifting a glass?
i heard jameseh only drinks yard's of ale must be training for the world weight lifting championships
Lurker
Grafter

Quote from: jmdlp
Don't you do that Jamesesh by lifting a glass?

You didn't click on the link to the fitness suite did you? Grin
jmd
Grafter

Yes, that is why I thought it was his exercise session!! Tongue
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Quote from: Jameseh
Quite a few of the lads here cycle into work and home.
Not me though - far too much like exercise.

A guy at my (now) ex-work used to cycle from Kingston-Upon-Thames to London.
Quite a way to come, just checked on RAC route planner which tells me its 13.26 miles Shocked
I don't think I could manage 1.3 miles, let alone thirteen .. and then there is the joy of Central London traffic!