cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Don`t buy a 4K t.v. in the sales.....

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Don`t buy a 4K t.v. in the sales.....

If you already have one,,,.... or are thinking of getting one.... Be Warned... your leccy bill will go UP....

For the state-of-the-art tellies use a third more energy than HD TVs, according to a British Gas report.

the leccy hungry sets use five times more energy than a games console and three times more than a laptop.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/money/4k-tv-your-electricity-bill-9450753

62 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Don`t buy a 4K t.v. in the sales.....

I like how they post the power usage figures and average wattages of 4k TVs in that article, oh wait, they didn't, they have zero facts in the article, just hype and [-Censored-]... Funny

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Avoidance of swear filter edited as per Forum rules.

Community Veteran

@twocvbloke  perhaps there are some intelligent readers who can work that out, for themselves, from the information given... Roll eyes

others, who may be less intelligent, will be able to assess from that same information that they are power hungry compared to the other techy items they have already got.

Community Veteran

Well, compared to Plasma TVs of the last decade (one of which this house still suffers with), the average 4k TV will use LESS power, yes the average 080pTV will also use slightly less power than a 4k TV, but to come up with the rubbish that article has posted, well, that requires an extensive use of the old bull-matter and madeupitis qualification that the papers often use these days...

VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

I offer the following http://uk.rtings.com/tv/learn/power-consumption-and-electricity-cost

That web site has a number of flaws.

Plasma is renowned for being greedy.

DaveyH
Pro
Fixes: 7

I wonder how much energy could've been saved if the Mirror just hadn't published that clickbait?

Community Veteran

@twocvbloke you  obviously have your own agenda... so you are, yourself, trying to confuse the information given in the original post... especially highlighted in bold letters, that was taken from the page as supplied in the URL.

I could, quite easily suggest to you that your current t.v. is using 1,000,000,000,000 times more electricity than a crystal set of the 1920`s.. just to confuse the issue, but then again... what would be the point... you would probably find something to dispute even that statement.

However, as you were so quick to point out that the article did not give any specific power usage figures to substantiate the claim,.........

It seems very remiss of you to not provide them, to substantiate your counter claims, in your response.

Community Veteran

Okay, figures, you want 'em...

The average 32-40" LCD HDTV uses about 40 to 50 Watts, you can work out the kWh from that yourself, 1/3rd of that is like a fart in a hurricane in comparison to previous technologies used for television reception, a 32" CRT often using up to about 100 Watts for SD TV, nd fo coure 400+ Watts for a 720p plasma television. An agenda? Pff, don't make me laugh, I'm pointing out that the Mirror's article is just scaremongering where none is required, call it an agenda if you will, but, facts are fact, and that article is about as factual as the bible...

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Let's assume this is true and I suspect it is, what difference is it going to make as we'll still buy them in the same way some have dishwashers, tumble dryers, toasters and that most greedy of devices - the electric kettle.

It's the way way of the world folks, although at the moment I only have that toaster to get me hot under the collar! 

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Anonymous
N/A

From the Daily Mirror article:

"Around two million households are expected to have a 4K TV by the end of the year and experts say bills will increase by £2 million"

So that's an extra £1 per household then. I suspect a bit of an underestimate - I've just checked on the John Lewis website and compared two Sony 49" TVs. Full hd was 89 KWh per annum, 4K was 125 KWh per annum, so an additional 36KWh per year. I'm currently paying just under 11p a unit, so still under £4 a year extra. Either way, if you're happy to spend several hundred pounds on a new tv, I'm not sure such relatively small extra running costs are likely to make much difference.

Community Veteran

It's like leaving an 8 Watt CFL-equipped outdoor light running through the night, negligible, nothing, naff all, the headline is just rubbish, designed solely to make people scared of new technology...

Anonymous
N/A

@twocvbloke

Could have been worse. If it had been the Express, it would have been "Immigrant Televisions Stealing Your Electricity" Smiley

Browni
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 35

shutter wrote:

the leccy hungry sets use five times more energy than a games console and three times more than a laptop.

Five times a small amount is still a small amount as is three times Cheesy

I've got a 49" 4K tv and can measure the power usage with a smart meter.

Result

~40W

Less than an old style light bulb.

I must have been really bad in a previous life. This is my 3rd ISP in a row that uses lithium.
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

shutter wrote:

aka not a lot then!

Not young enough to know everything
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

How many milliwatts per pixel?

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.