cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Don't bother running away..

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Don't bother running away..

It's got your name on it! Nice horns as well.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Yja2VmZOfdA

10 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Don't bother running away..

At least they seem to cope very well, UK trains do not like snow or leaves in their way. The first train seemed endless, it must have loads of power to pull that one under the circumstances. Well done lads.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

It burns powdered Weetabix!

Jonpe
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

Have you read the comment by Amsterdope posted below the video?  I thought it was only the UK that was unable to cope with a few snowflakes.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

colintivy wrote:

At least they seem to cope very well

Once those trains get rolling, there's not a lot that'll stop them other than the braking system, so a bit of snow is nothing to those beasts of the rails... Smiley

As for the UK, I've been on a few trains in the winter, well, Class 142 DMUs at least, quite amusing when the driver spins the wheels because they applied too much throttle, though when the train starts sliding backwards, it gets a tad concerning... Grin

Luzern
Pro

Before moving to South West Hants, I lived in East Sussex,and my nearest rail line was one of the few that were diesel and slow. We mainly travelled to the nearest electric line.

Hoever in snow it was better by diesel, There were no third rail or conductor shoes to ice up, and the grip of the motor with its weight made one surer to get through.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro

Modern trains are too light to cope with icy rails or leaf buildup. @Luzern is right you're more likely to get through with a heavy diesel unit. On North London Railways where I worked we had a special train called a 'Sandite train', it's sole job was to travel up and down the lines at night where it would drizzle a sand and gel mix on the rails at the breaking points by each station. It did work but was really only effective for the first 2-3 trains and then you would be back to square one again. The old heavy rolling stock didn't suffer this problem as they had break blocks which cleaned the crud of the wheels whereas modern light weight trains have disc pads instead.

Luzern
Pro

The Hastings diesels (narrow bodied to get through dodgy tunnels) ploughed through until the line was electrified and singled through them. One evening SR supplied an EPB in bad weather. That got through too much better than the new stock.

That must be over 30 years ago!

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro

@Luzern

EPB? Sure you don't mean EMU? I guess people might call the 416 by different names perhaps. Before my time really although they look distinctly like the ones we had on the Bletchley to Bedford line during the mid-late 90's. Come to think of it that line isn't electrified so can't be the same one.

Luzern
Pro

Actually 4EPB (Class 415) used on peak Ramsgate/Dover service to London via Ashford.

MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro

@Luzern

I was close, what's one number between friends?