Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Don't believe all you read.

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 30

Don't believe all you read.

I always take 'news' stories with a large pinch of salt these days, but one 'report' I read in my local paper yesterday was so far from the truth I'll never trust the news again.

I'll not go into detail, as I'm aware of the reason for the misinformation, but suffice to say that having actually seen the immediate aftermath of the incident, I now understand how false information is fed to the public.

John
29 REPLIES 29
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Don't believe all you read.

A bit more context would be appreciated @jab1 

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 30

@Anonymous Lets just say it referred to an RTA that happened directly opposite me, and having read the report, I was left wondering if I was living in a parallel universe.

All I can say, having checked with the police, is that was related to the drug trade, and they obliquely kind of said 'Yes, we asked the paper to 'report' the story as you read it to obscure our operations'.

John
Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Way back in my old Secondary school days - and this is like, over 60 years ago, I can remember how shocked I was to be told during some lesson or other not to believe all that we read in the papers! 

Nothing new about spin and half truths, but these days we are being fed twenty four seven from all quarters with what has fast become misinformation overload where truth is anothers version of it.

Oh, and that arrow in King Harold's eye? Yep, just one big of fib. Wink  

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

All that stuff they taught at secondary school, well at least the one I went too.....Knights Templars..no mention of the truth they got beaten, always thought there were only 3 Pyramids in Egypt....no mention of any phallic carvings seen in some tombs and rubbish about no one knew how the Pyrimads were built.

So both lack of information and misinformation....of course most of the Adults I knew had never been out of the country apart from those involved in the War and few spoke about that.

Highlighted
Community Veteran

I don't take press stories too seriously any more to be honest. Many of them are government propaganda IMO and i just can't be bothered. I also don't vote cos they all make false promises with their election pledges.

Yes some stories i do believe, others have little tell tale signs of being manipulated or even false.

I don't even trust ITN on ITV these days.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Papers print any old rubbish as long as it sells the paper, the more dramatic the headline the more the paper sells.

What is Truth ?

Truth to one person is lies to another.

Even our own past memories can be deceptive.

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 8

It's not always necessary for a paper to lie. the use key words and phrases to get the unobservant reader have the desired reaction, by as little as one word or order of words.

My wife often listens to a program 'More or Less'. One theme was newspaper reporting of medical matters. The incidence of a disease may be reported as 20%. It gets readers shocked, but there had been 5 cases over more than a year. Good way of knocking NHS by the likes of the Express.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

Two examples yesterday, one a report about the army saying that if you were a patriot then you were a right wing subversive. No mention was made that it was just one indicator out of around twenty I think it was taken from a sort of crib sheet used to identify unwanted recruits, and the second was a quote from Trump about Meghan Markle being "nasty" which although recorded was a response taken out of context.

As you sort of say @Luzern sometimes even the truth can be written as a lie and more so these days with online news looking for click bait reaction of the sort they would never have had with a printed edition. I do wonder sometimes we that comment either here or in the mainline media are being manipulated by the providers who are themselves subversive, controlling and collectors of opinions neatly stored. 

Highlighted
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

@Luzern wrote: My wife often listens to a program 'More or Less'.

+ 1 Smiley Excellent program to listen to. Fascinating to hear how statistics can lie.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 8

@Minivanman Some in line comments could be libellous in print with name at bottom, but on line with pseudo identities, and limited to subscribers they go unnoticed. There needs more policing and action against papers' owners for such contributions; no hiding behind denial of liability, as, ' poss are un-monitored and are not necessarily the opinon blah blah'.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Highlighted
Community Veteran

We should get our heads together and publish a new newspaper using all the stuff that has appeared on this forum over the years, presenting it as accurate.

If we did that, are we likely to beat most of the existing papers in sales ?

Wink

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Newspapers like tv present what a lot of the public want, if they did not papers would not sell and viewing figures would go down.

Look at all the scandal you see in papers, personally I could not care less who is having an affair with whom or how someone dresses or expresses an opinion that I might not agree with.....simply boring but it's tragic in my opinion that so many people seem to thrive on this BS, have they no lives, nothing better to do ?

Why do people get so involved in other peoples affairs, why the interest ? or even excitement when someone gets caught out doing doing something they should not be doing.

Even the statement Mr X was seen talking to Miss Y seems enough to get some people excited and write into it their own lines... no smoke without fire.

NB: If they were careful like me they would not get caught.  Wink

Highlighted
All Star
Fixes: 2

This thread should be made a sticky at the top of the forum, not because of the contents but the title.

A reminder that comments made may, or may not, be the truth but just a personal opinion....

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@gleneagles 

When it comes to media celebrities and the like then that is just feeding the fish and let's face it we all like a bit of gossips in our lives even if we deny it, and if only to act as a touchstone for our own behaviour. How is it to be judged otherwise if not by reference to our peers, politicians and publicity seekers.  

Dusty old tomes the contents of which are handed down through the ages are of little help either as on one hand we are told to love thy neighbour and on the other, she is buried up to her neck in sand and stoned to death - not that anybody anywhere would do such a thing to-day.Roll_eyes

As for those in higher office, then standards need to be met by those that would tell us what those standards should be. Preaching morality, values and honesty whilst not believing or adhering to them yourself is rank hypocrisy and should I would suggest be noted and challenged. You might recall the Profumo affair where it was not about prostitutes, Russian spys or even 'morality' but the fact that he "lied to the House' shock horror!  

Mind you, as kids may of us were told "don't do as I do, do as I tell you" followed by (in my case anyway) a swift smack around the back of the head! 

As for those oft quoted 'Victorion values'...