Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Don't Feed the Ducks

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: Don't Feed the Ducks

Councils are quick enough to use the oversized hammer of littering when it comes to feeding birds in public places.

They don't differentiate between someone scattering a few crumbs and someone dumping a bucket of their fast food leftovers. They really should. One is littering and the other isn't and it's silly to suggest otherwise.

I think it's wonderful taking kids to feed waterfowl. It give them an interest in the wildlife. Far better to learn to throw bread and care than throw bricks at swans which is what some mindless yobs were seen doing last year.

Highlighted
Seasoned Champion

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2015/mar/16/dont-feed-the-ducks-bread-say-conservationists

Pretty much every expert body including RSPB and wildfowl trust say it is a really bad idea to feed ducks on human food,  may be acceptable in really bad winter when other food not available - but as a regular thing it may seem innocent enough but it can cause health problems, malnutrition and deformities in the ducks ( and who knows an unnatural  high starch diet may even give them diabetes -  like it does to humans ),  I don't put bread out for garden birds because it is just plain starch and is bad for them,  and it attracts vermin.  I feed birds on sunflower seeds and high fat ( suet based with insects ) high cholesterol fat products - which is exactly what they need. 

Surely kids can also be taught that feeding wild animals junk food also has bad consequences, maybe worse than throwing the odd stone.

I remember the woman in out local town sitting right under a 'do not feed the pigeons' notice throwing bread onto the street, it has cost local businesses and council a fortune to put up anti-pigeon spikes on every ledge in the town and the small main square used to be slippery with pigeon poo and a proper health hazzard for kids (pigeon poo can kill you),  they have cleaned it up a lot and along comes someone throwing bread around to attract pigeons and rats - and wet bread is also very slippery underfoot.

Highlighted
Community Veteran

As I said opinions change with wind direction as there was also a recent article that said bread wasn't so bad for birds.

This was an article in the last few weeks so it would seem your four year old one is outdated.

All that was said was bread doesn't have all the necessary vitamins etc but went on to say that applies to any animals eating just one food type including humans. That there was nothing in particular wrong with bread in itself.

The idea that bread is some sort of bird poison is nonsense.

I prefer to recycle leftovers rather than just waste them.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

@shutter 

33%?

Crumbs!

@wotsup 

Those Canada Geese can also be a vit vicious. Many moons back when my then little ones were feeding 'em they leapt onto the bank and strarted to chase them - that birds chasing kids, not the opther way around!

Similar when feeding a goat, but that's another story. 🙂

I know where I am, I've been lost here before
Highlighted
Seasoned Champion

Highlighted
Community Veteran

"Bread isn't harmful"

The Royal Society for the Protection of Birds (RSPB) said it was fine to feed small amounts of bread to ducks but people should also feed them sweetcorn, porridge oats, peas and bird seed.

"Just like us, birds need a varied diet to stay healthy," said Tony Whitehead from the charity.

"Although ducks and swans can digest all types of bread, too much can leave them feeling full without giving them all of the important vitamins, minerals and nutrients they need.

"So, although bread isn't harmful, our advice is to only feed small amounts to birds."

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

Pretty much like us humans then, but I'm guessing they are talking about white bread and something we don't often eat ourselves - except as special treat now and then as there is nothing like a bit of chunky white toast.... with lashings of butter of course.

We'd be quackers not to.  😊

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 5

@Minivanman wrote:

Those Canada Geese can also be a vit vicious. Many moons back when my then little ones were feeding 'em they leapt onto the bank and strarted to chase them - that birds chasing kids, not the opther way around!

Similar when feeding a goat, but that's another story. 🙂

I guess it would depend on what you were feeding the goat to ...  😃

Edit:  added one of 'those' smilies

Highlighted
Seasoned Champion

So when everyone who feeds the ducks at local pond on stale bread thinks that they are the only ones doing it ( despite the evidence of mouldy bread on the side of the pool and the murky green water cause by the starch in the water ) and the sick fish as a result of them eating bread how do you ensure they 'get a balanced diet'  and 'only eat a small amount ' ?

Fishermen used to 'sour the water' by throwing large amounts of groundbait in ( basically flour ) and cause all sorts of problems with aquatic life,  thankfully it doesn't seem so prevalent these days.  If ducks are fed the same refined food as humans eat we can expect them to get sick as well,  most of the people in hospital are probably there because of bad diet, and now we want to extend that malaise to wild animals - lets face it humans as a whole just do not understand wildlife,  some people are shocked that I feed birds on suet ( animal fat ) based products,  but their needs are entirely different to ours and they will eat all the fat and cholesterol they can get their beaks into and thrive.

@RobPN  was watching a documentary about crocodiles a few days ago,  their stomach acid is 10X more powerful than ours and they have 'acidic' blood that can deal with anthrax and pretty much anything in the way of bacteria and virus, they can live in filthy water, eat rotten meat and if they get injured don't get infections like us poor humans,  and because they are cold blooded and don't waste energy keeping their body warm can go up to 12 months between meals..... be interesting to see how their superpowers survived if they ate too much refined bread though 🙄

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@RobPN 

Blimey!

Highlighted
Hero

@wotsup wrote:

...  some people are shocked that I feed birds on suet ( animal fat ) based products,  but their needs are entirely different to ours and they will eat all the fat and cholesterol they can get their beaks into and thrive.

I used to (not done it for a while though) tip the fat residue from the grill pan (whilst still melted) after cooking bacon, chops or steak into a small container for the wild birds in the garden.  I can't remember where I heard they like bacon fat, but they seemed to  enjoy the offering.

Highlighted
Seasoned Champion

Any fat left in the grill pan after I have cooked bacon goes onto my bread and is very tasty, any fat left in the pan after cooking meat goes into gravy, any fat from Lamb chops goes into my baked potato...... ( much tastier than Flora ) if no Lamb fat for baked potato I will use olive oil as a poor substitute.

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

I feel sick now.

Highlighted
Aspiring Champion

Any fat left in the pan after cooking bacon is mopped up with a slice of bread and not fed to the birds....

Highlighted
Community Veteran

@wotsup wrote:

So when everyone who feeds the ducks at local pond on stale bread thinks that they are the only ones doing it ( despite the evidence of mouldy bread on the side of the pool and the murky green water cause by the starch in the water ) and the sick fish as a result of them eating bread how do you ensure they 'get a balanced diet'  and 'only eat a small amount ' ?

But that's just talking extremes. Like sticking ducks in a cage and feeding them on nothing but bread for a week and saying it's not doing them any good. The same that happens to people on a one thing diet. Or the extreme of sticking them in a cage and not feeding them for a week with the obvious result.

And yes I've seen ponds with mountains of mouldy grain and lettuce piled on the banks. Same end result. Obviously a bit of common sense is needed whatever you feed the birdies.