Fixes: 27

Re: Don't Feed the Ducks

It's beak Oz England won a cricket series I believe...  Cheesy
Ω is where the is
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Eider Oz lost or this thread lives on like Count Duckula.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

DO feed the ducks - but not bread!

https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/news/warning-over-bread-for-ducks-at-leeds-beauty-spot-1-8863...

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 27

Ciabatta feed them the right stuff or they could end up "brown bread".

Ω is where the is
Highlighted
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

Let them eat cake. Roll_eyes

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 9

@198kHz wrote:

Ciabatta ...

I thought ciabatta was only for Chelsea ducks.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

@jelv wrote:

feed the ducks - but not bread

I don't think any birds are as stupid as newspapers and the "don't feed bread to ducks brigade" would have us believe.

Take swans for instance. In one river area they like a bit of bread like many birds but at high tide they concentrate on cropping algae growing on the concrete banks and also march out and crop the grass. Similarly swans on a local pond also march out and crop the grass as well as eating bread. In the garden Blackbirds love a bit of bread, It goes down well with the worms they pull out of my lawn. Birds are smart enough to eat a balanced diet by themselves without someone thinking they know better. Someone who has run out of people to tell what to do as the people know they don't know better.

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Not 'bird brains' thenWink

Highlighted
Community Veteran

No, just as wise as old owls...

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 6

I see the arguments about feeding ducks is back in news !

Feeding ducks bread: Viral sign sparks anger and confusion

Feeding ducks sign.jpg

Plusnet FTTC 80/20 IPv4/30, Hurricane Electric 6in4 IPv6/48, Pulse8 landline & calls, SamKnows 600N
Vigor 130 modem, pfSense 2.4.5-p1 router, 5 WAPs, Devolo dLAN 500, Gigaset N300A-IP VoIP DECT
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Good to see my old thread back again.

Possibly get some more sensible comments than in the Brexit thread.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

@artmo 

Just no ducking the issue is there, maybe we should have a referendum on feeding all wild birds

Never thought it was good idea to feed them bread m'self, but what the heck.  

Compare yourself to who you were yesterday, not who somebody else is today
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 42

The french "Bread Riots" come to mind..... the peasantry had no bread to eat, and were making a lot of fuss.... the "upper classes" responded with the famous  " Let them eat cake".... and... I think a law was passed that every village should have a bakery ( boulangerie)  to make sure that the peasants could get, and eat bread.

Some entrepreneur. should be marketing specially made, duck friendly, bread, and cakes.... ... any takers on the idea.... remember it was mine ! and I want 33% of your new business.  ! !

Highlighted
Community Veteran

I think it comes down to people thinking birds are stupid, well bird brained, and that they know what's good for them. Pretty much the same and we are all told what's good for us. Which changes as much as wind direction.

Personally I think birds are not stupid and do eat a varied diet, all by themselves, which bread is just one part. Any bird just eating bread does so because there is nothing else so the choice for them is eat it or starve. I don't see any problem with that.

A few places I occasionally feed birds a crust will eat it in between eating grass and algae growing on the banks edges. A group of fishing lakes I used to like to visit had a marvelous variety of ducks, geese, and swans. But up went no feeding signs and a "ranger" to strictly enforce this. All the birds disappeared except for a few moor hens. I'm sure the permit paying fishermen loved it at first. All those fat fish to catch with no birds of bird feeding people getting in the way. But from what I heard from them the fish numbers and size have also rapidly declined as I guess they enjoyed a crust or two themselves.

Highlighted
Seasoned Champion

There are many alien species in this country like Canada geese and grey squirrels that are seen as 'cute' by some people,  but they are out of place and far from cute.  Both are classed as 'pests' ( vermin ) and rightly so and certainly should not be fed - the Canada geese bully all the smaller ducks for food and territory ( the only ones they don't bully are probably swans ),  and Grey squirrels do an enormous amount of damage and compete with reds for food and nest sites,  and the virus they carry kills reds in a particularly horrible way. 

Having food laying around also attracts rats,  which also do damage and carry diseases... If someones kid was bitten by a rat or picked up one of nasty viruses they carry from their poo or urine they would be the first to be sending letters to ask council to deal with the rat problem caused by thoughtless people scattering food around public areas,  and don't start me on feeding pigeons in towns ( flying rats ).