cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Don't Drive a Diesel Car in a Bus lane !!

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2
9 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Don't Drive a Diesel Car in a Bus lane !!

From that title, it seems it is ok to drive petrol or hybrid cars in  bus lanes  ?   
Er... NO.... only buses and taxis ( in some places) are allowed to use bus lanes.... 
What a daft title....
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Ah! "Bus Lanes"  or how to reduce congestion by halving the amount of road capacity available to motors cars. Next they'll think of a way to get more than 5% utilisation of the bus lanes.
And the well thought out flat rate "diesel motor tax" regardless of miles covered.  a.k.a. how to halve the visitors/shoppers coming to your town/city centre. The retailers will love that.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Thought I read that new diesel cars would not be subject to the city, "tax" as they had cleaner emissions, so what's in the engine that makes them cleaner and why is it not possible to add a filter(s) to existing diesel cars to make them cleaner ?
itsme
Grafter

The report says that although the new measures would reduce London’s NO2 levels to a safer target, Eastern Zone levels would still breach guidelines.
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3233253/Diesel-drivers-face-12-50-fee-enter-cities-motorists...
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Wonder if the Eastern Zone is the route lorries use to get to the 6th largest container port in Europe?
Community Veteran

Quote from: AlaricAdair

Ah! "Bus Lanes"  or how to reduce congestion by halving the amount of road capacity available to motors cars. Next they'll think of a way to get more than 5% utilisation of the bus lanes.

Yeah... Bus lanes certainly do reduce the road capacity for cars.... and that is "part" of the strategy.... it makes ( supposedly ) drivers ... (and passengers, if any ) ... sitting in queues of traffic, cursing the delays, and seeing a bus go past at 30 mph..  ( seems much faster when you can`t go anywhere)... makes them think... ah... perhaps in future.....  I`ll get the bus... and I won`t be stuck in this traffic...
so.... 50% now try to catch the bus... which is always full when it is raining, and there is no bus shelter... so back into the car again.....
Wonder where the term....... "magic roundabout" came from.... hee hee ...  Cheesy
PowerLee
Rising Star

Quote from: gleneagles
Thought I read that new diesel cars would not be subject to the city, "tax" as they had cleaner emissions, so what's in the engine that makes them cleaner and why is it not possible to add a filter(s) to existing diesel cars to make them cleaner ?

The engine has to be homologated with the necessary equipment by the vehicle manufacturer to meet the tougher Euro 6 emissions standards.
These Euro 6 diesels are going to be even more of a nightmare & wallet emptying risk as they age for future owners, EGR systems, diesel injectors, dual mass fly wheels, turbo chargers - all stuff to go wrong & empty your wallet, plus the need to run on the correct special low saps oil to protect the depollution filter.
Unless your doing 12k + miles a year including long dual carriage way / motorway journeys, once its out of warranty a diesel is a false economy & you would be better of with a petrol engine - you wont get as much miles per gallon BUT you shouldn't have wallet emptying bills either.
Once a modern diesel engine throws its toys out the pram the repair bills to put it right again can be horrendous.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Fully agree with your last 2 paragraphs re cost of diesel engine if it goes wrong as I know from personal experience.
I suspect some makes are more reliable than others but I would never take that gamble again.
Community Veteran

So.... I just paid over £5500 for my car.... a bit more than my last one... both Skoda Fabia... and both diesel... the first one.... was a 1.9 SDI.... and I got 10 years of trouble free motoring... it was doing average 65 mpg when I bought it... and still doing that when I traded it in... with me doing over 160,000 miles...  that car cost me £4500  ( i think)... so that worked out at £450 per year.... plus the normal running costs which are similar for every vehicle... mot.. new tyres... battery.. brakes etc.. and of course the added extra.. MORE MPG than a petrol engine of same size... ( probably twice )..
False economy  ?   nah...  on the point of engine failure... mostly these are caused by lack of servicing.. at the correct intervals, and trying to economise on oil change type  .... this will be more applicable with the newer car... so I have my tame mechanic who does that for me... and I make sure he does it on time.. and with the correct oils and filters...  
The new car (1.6 TDI)  has just returned a record (for me since I bought it a year ago ). 65.3 mpg  usually around the 60 to 62 mpg .. on a car that is rated at 57 mpg....  I expect this car will last me for the next 10 years and be just as reliable, and economical as the previous one... for two reasons.... the engine is newer technology so is better engineered, and I will be maintaining it in the same manner as before... so going on the same premise... £5500 over 10 years will cost me £550 per year... .

Once a modern diesel engine throws its toys out the pram the repair bills to put it right again can be horrendous.

Only if you are stupid enough to pay for it to be repaired....  you are not obliged to keep the car....

. If .... big IF.. the engine was to fail, significantly... then I would consider my options depending on what the cost involved in replacing the engine... or buying another vehicle......

Either way... that is a risk that every motorist takes... whether they buy new or second hand.. and that applies to Petrol or diesel.... or even these new fangled Hybrid Toyota things....
. False economy.... ?  what a load of tripe...
PowerLee
Rising Star

The 1.9 SDI engine Skoda used from the VW parts bin was about as basic as they come for a diesel lump, apart from the injection pump there isn't anything to really go wrong.
The 1.6 TDI engine on the other hand, I wish you luck as its a common rail diesel with a DPF filter fitted.