Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Doing the best you can.

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Doing the best you can.

"But judge" said the 75 year old man sentenced to twenty years inside "I've only got a few years left in me". "Well never mind" said they judge, "just do the best you can" 

Not to make light of this man's appalling crime but a 1,500 year sentence, what's the point?

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/oct/23/california-man-gets-1500-year-jail-sentence-for-rapi...

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: Doing the best you can.

I think it's just to make a point - do something totally immoral, sick and disgusting and you've no chance of getting out regardless of any appeal.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Could be that you get a number of years for each offence and when added together well exceeds how long you are likely to live.

Good idea in my opinion, not like here where in many cases several sentences can run concurrently and in many cases the sentence is reduced if you plead guilty.

And you can be out on parole half way through your sentence.

Even then we seem to have more people serving jail sentences than most EU countries so I suspect jail time will be reduced even further due to costs and the view that victims come second to criminal's rights.

Makes you wonder who has got it right, us or the US.

Community Veteran

It's the difference between sentences being consecutive which is often the way they are given in the UK and concurrent as they are given in the US.

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Whilst this sentence just makes a mockery of common sense, it's no more daft in my opinion than having those that are concurrent. Ten years for one crime to run at the same times as say five for another just dilutes the sentence. Rob two banks at the same time and it just might make some sense, but until then.......  

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I went to the doctor and he said I only had six months to live, so I stabbed him. It went to trial and the judge gave me twenty years. Problem solved. 

To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran

I think there's a range that goes from Justice to Revenge. A few countries hit the revenge end of the scale. America also does this but only for those that can't afford a good lawyer.

The major drawback to extreme sentences is that the person being hunted can see they have nothing to lose in taking extreme measures themselves to avoid capture.