Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Doggy messes

jmd
Grafter

Doggy messes

see
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7469369.stm
I would love to have a dog but do not fancy having to collect the poop! but do feel that it should be collected and that is what is stopping me from having one.
Round here the owners seem to be very good [apart from when someone's dog roams and lands in my back garden!].
43 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: Doggy messes

We've briefly had two dogs on separate occasions. Both times our daughter acquired them and both times we the parents fed watered and exercised them.
We always took a scoop with us but noticed not all owners did likewise.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Hi Josie, I am not a "doggy person", but I seem to get the job of feeding, watering, walking, and grooming our gorgeous Eurasia.  An official cross between a Chow Chow and a Large Spitz.  I am not keen on picking up the deposits, however, for quite a few years, I have used a "long handled poop scoop"... this ensures you don`t have to physically touch the stuff, and it also keeps your nose a few more feet away from the smell !..  Pick it up, shove the end of the poop scoop in a carrier bag, wind it round, and then dispose of the contents at the next available doggy poo bank!.
have a look here.....
ttp://www.pet-supermarket.co.uk/erol.html#1041x0&&http%3A%252F%252Fwww.google.co.uk%252Fsearch%3Fclient%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla%253Aen-GB%253Aofficial%26channel%3Ds%26hl%3Den%26q%3Dlong+handled+poop+scoop%26meta%3D%26btnG%3DGoogle+Search
Community Veteran

[me=Spider]sticks head above wall[/me]
I own two dogs and for the majority of pooh they create I don't pick it up as I can't see the point.
Community Veteran

I think you should take your own advice..... viz a viz your second line of signature..... !  Roll eyes
Community Veteran

Nice idea shutter, but they never offer it  Wink
firefly2
Grafter

naughty.. naughty.... spider. or are they in nappiesHuh
i use a bag plus baby-wipe then turn it inside out . done and dusted.. altho only have a yorkie.
re spider >>> nice one shutter.  oh and like the dog.. Is there any water in that bowlHuh?  Roll eyes
Community Veteran

lower bowl was for feeding, water in top bowl, as we kept kicking it, and spilling it.... have now moved it to a better place... ! Wink Smiley Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 21

Nice pictures there shutter, I think the first one is best. Haven't visited your website yet, will do when I get time.
Community Veteran

Well, She is such a nice dog, that I suppose it is inevitable that I get a nice picture. !  Thanks for compliment.... make sure you have some time, as there are about 800 photographs on the site !.  Smiley
Fixes: 47

This is the main reason why our last dog had to go to a new home. It was a young Staffordshire/Alsation cross.
Very destructive. Angry
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
jmd
Grafter

Shutter - she is a beautiful dog - will take some grooming though!  But I suppose it keeps you out of mischief!  Wink
But, if I get a dog he/she has to be already  housetrained,  non-destructive, and capable of being left alone for a couple of hours but most of all small and easy to look after!
And yes I would have to learn to use a poop scoop and not feel sick  Sad and in return would get company and exercise! Smiley
Thinking of applying for a "hearing dog" - but there is a waiting list of over 2 years!
Community Veteran

I think picking it up depends were its done. My dog only does it in bushes and other inaccessible places as thats how he was brought up. I always have a bag and if he did it in the street or other area were the public use it a lot I would pick it up.
I am not climbing under bushes to pick it up and let remember its a very good manure in the right place, I am sure no one is going to crawl under a bush to tread in it.
What is frightening is the Community wardens this is my wifes experience of them

On Friday 30th Nov early in the a woman took the dog a walk. She went across Derby Docks and noticed a white unmarked van with 2 men in it. She walked to Walker st and the van started following her. When she got to Ford Lane the van and the 2 men were still stalking her. She was now in fear of being raped or attacked. She walked on Broad st field and the van parked up and watched her.
She decided to try and get home before they attacked her but as soon as she set off the van followed her along Badger Ave up Ford Lane and as she ran across the Derby Dock frightened for he life. It was of coarse dark as it was early morning 7:30 or there about. When she reached our alley she managed to get inside the alley gates. She then saw the two men get out of the van and she could then see they were in fact community wardens. They then collared an 80 year old man who can barely walk and charged him for not picking up his dog dirt.
The actions of these wardens are the actions of perverts and rapist to follow a woman alone who had done nothing wrong in the hope of catching her not picking up her dog dirt is bizarre. We all ways pick up our dog dirt. To stalk her for nearly an hour is like being in a Police state. I have had complaints form pensioners that in the cemetery the wardens have hidden in the bushes spying on vulnerable old ladies to see if they pick there dirt up. The pensioners of coarse don’t know who is lurking in the bushes and fear for their lives.
Is this legal what they are doing it’s a waste of public money and they should have a van which is clearly marked as wardens so this way people would know who they are wouldn’t think the were going to be attacked. The wardens role must be one of prevention and education not of harassment.
I want this stalking stopped terrifying people in this way is not there role does the council support this stalking or is this rough wardens a full investigation into their actions and role must be carried out.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

They do at last use marked vans where I live, the Police support and wardens also share a well marked Smart car, two just about fit  Cheesy Cheesy
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: samuria
I am not climbing under bushes to pick it up and let remember its a very good manure in the right place, I am sure no one is going to crawl under a bush to tread in it.

Read this and I hope that you will pick up the poop no matter the place.
What amaze me about some dog owners is that they take a dog for a walk to do their business on public spaces. Why not train their dogs to do their business on their own property before taking them for a walk?