cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dog deterrents needed

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Dog deterrents needed

Adair Towers is experiencing somewhat  intermittent internet connection and no usable phone. OpenReach are due on Tuesday.
It is probably not unconnected with our six month old pup (GSD) with a predeliction with chewing things including cables. We can't find any damage to the BT cables so she may be wrongly accused, but a couple of handset cables are decidedly ragged.
Any no lethal ways of protecting those cables?
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
13 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: Dog deterrents needed

Same deal as house training, up to you to teach it not to.  But as it is that time of year when mice look for a warm winter bed, try a mouse trap or three and see if you have some squatters.
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
Community Veteran

(Gus beat me to it) Sure it's not mice?
For dogs try  "Half fill a couple of clear plastic soft drink bottles with water and leave adjacent to cables."
might work!
Fixes: 125

Not to throw a spanner in the works but with all the mice we've had over the last couple of years I've not seen any evidence of them attacking any cabling. I have to add, though, that I haven't been able to look behind the PC area yet but I've not had any issues that could be cable-related... yet.
Edit: Training the pup is obviously a good idea. When we trained out Manchester terrier/dalmatian cross years ago we found that a tap of the nose with a rolled-up newspaper along with a stern 'no' did the trick and didn't take, too long for the message to get through.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

myredhotcar
Grafter

My current Boxer enjoyed chewing stuff up as a pup. When it comes to cabling the best option is to not to allow them unfettered access until trained (which didn't take too long). Her favourite item to chew on was a chest of drawers in the bedroom, and for some reason she continued chewing this longer than most other stuff. I assume it tasted or felt good. I stopped the behaviour by applying Tabasco sauce to the effected corner. Apparently mustard works too but neither are really practical with cabling. If you catch her lock her in another room as I've always found excluding my dog to be the most effective punishment. If  I tell her "out" now she will take herself to the kitchen and sulk until I allow her back. She is 6 years though so YMMV.
Community Veteran

Fortunately she's just about finished producing the second set of teeth so the desire to chew  is diminishing, but compared to our previous dogs this one is a real chewer. She usually leaves cables alone, but I guess sometimes the temptation is too much.
As with a typical German Shepard Dog she is obedient as long as those instructions fit within her plan as Alpha Being in the home.
I'll have to wait on the OpenReach guy to track the fault allegedly tomorrow afternoon, though I have replaced all the cables on our side of the socket (some chewed). The fault remains now a very faint dial tone and very crackly voice on our side with ADSL running at 25% of normal speed. My recent 3G Mifi purchase is proving its worth.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Quote from: Mav
we found that a tap of the nose with rolled-up newspaper

I'm sure you mean a fleeting tap and with the best of intentions but, I'm pretty sure this won't impress many dog trainers, striking (albeit gently in your case) this most sensitive part of a dog's anatomy. Most dogs respond to training best when they realise who is the top-dog, in this case you, they need to respect you not fear you. Some breeds are better than others for this of course. Very active dogs Boxers, Red Setters etc. are probably the hardest to work with but can become very well behaved <as long as they are allowed free reign to let off steam away from the home occasionally>
I always found a very sharp shouted No! and a positive move/push away from the no-go area works quite well.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Fixes: 125

Actually it was advice from a trainer I went to back in 1973. A gentle tap with a firm 'no' and it did work. The rest was all about teaching the dog to walk 'to heel' and obey commands such as sit, wait, etc.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Most dogs respond to training best when they realise who is the top-dog, in this case you, they need to respect you not fear you.
Sorry,have to disagree somewhat.  Dogs are,instinctively,pack animals. The pups start challenging the pack leader,the alpha prime, as soon as they can walk.  In a pack situation, the alpha male will physically chastise a pup. Usually a nip, and the physixality increases in proportion to the age and size of the challenger. Death is a serious possibility when both are mature.
Feeding, walking and a gentle chastising would ensure your dominance.  In fact it would be an unkindness to not take complete control. The dog would be constantly challenging, and confused of its place in 'your pack'.
Community Veteran

@doris, have to agree. Smiley I used to run dog teams, once you had established who was pack leader, gain the respect of the leader and the rest fall into line, but respect goes out of the window when a leadership challenge happens, it evolves into one almighty dog fight which only bullwhip can sort out, not to whip the dogs, the crack noise was sufficient.
Trick was never to let the leader run at the front, they we 're often not the most intelligent of dogs, let the leader run 2nd or 3rd pair, he will keep control of the rest. Hold your arm out and point, look at how many dogs look at your hand, the one that looks in the direction you are pointing is an intelligent dog.
Community Veteran

@ journeys, and anyone else reading this. I'm not advocating needless violence with any animal, it's just understanding the dog psyche.
  In fact I had a girl on my bus (I'm a bus driver) who was met her mother with a 6 month pup, which I was 'asked' to meet. I didn't mind, but it jumped up.
Mum said "He always does that ,and we can't stop him". I stopped him doing it in less than a minute.
Got mum to walk pup to me and let lead loose so it could jump. Then when it jumped, without looking or saying anything, walked into the dog, so it overbalanced backwards, and fell. Did this three times.  The fourth time it stood there and waited for attention. Then explained to Mum, that it was shortening the lead that excited the dog. 'If you're relaxed, so is the dog'.
No violence. The hardest thing was training the mother. Smiley
Community Veteran

I've apologised to the pup. The phone problems were caused by connection corrosion about 100 metres from the house.  At the moment the PN ADSL modem/Router is only achieving half the previous transmission rate at 9 Mbs though thinks it can go to 19. I guess the BT exchange equipment still thinks it is a poor line.
Community Veteran

So you're in the doghouse then?  Grin Grin
Community Veteran

It wuz just problems wiv the Dog and Bone innit Guv.