Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dog Ban

Fixes: 47

Dog Ban

Food for thought.
I was just reading this and this.
I would be happy to see a total ban on all dog ownership with the exception of working dogs.
I regularly walk through our local park and spend most of the journey looking down at the path negotiating dog excrement which dog owners can't be bothered to remove.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
24 REPLIES
shalom2010
Grafter

Re: Dog Ban

I don't agree on a ban but certainly a return of a dog license and maybe linking it to dog training (for the owner!!) would be wonderful.
Having taken up walking in the last six months (walking around 40 miles per week), I have had several 'angry' dogs go for me. I've never had a dog as a pet & I'm sure they sense my fear, but
the owners don't appear to sense anything wrong with their dog either barking at me or running and jumping up at me whilst walking.
Community Veteran

The biggest problem is dog breeding is just not properly regulated in the UK.
We have two golden retrievers and they are lovely dogs who go to weekly training classes. One of the other dogs in the class is a rescued dog (not sure which breed) which was used as bait to train fighting dogs (when he was rescued, he was in a really bad state). For over a year or so, he had shown no aggressive behaviour towards other dogs but in one of the training classes he went for our male retriever when doing some off the lead work. Luckily, the owner/class trainer managed to stop him before he did any damage. But it is a worry when a dog like that can suddenly flip for no specific reason - he is well trained and 99% of the time shows good behaviour. It is that split second though where something sets them off and they can cause a huge amount of damage or even kill someone.
We have even had an incident a long time ago, where another golden retriever attacked one of our retrievers. This is something you never normally see with these dogs (they are the nicest, friendliest dogs in the world), but you just do not know how they've been brought up.
janitor
Grafter

Unfortunately both would be ineffective, they low life that don't pick up there dog mess are unlikely to take any notice of either a ban, or the need to have a licence, a better idea is if you know where dogs are fouling get in touch with your local councillor, so he can kick the dog warden out of there nice air conditioned office and do what they are paid for. We had a similar problem at our old estate, parents moaning that dogs were fouling outside the school, and in the children's playground, once some of the parents who took their dogs to pick up their children had been spoken to by the dog warden and the pcso the problem stopped.  
Community Veteran

I have no problems with dog poop but my garden is covered in cat poop Sad
TORPC
Grafter

They should never have abolished the dog license, & anyone that has dogs, without a dog license, should be heavily fined
We can not use the communal washing line(s) due to neighbors, let there dogs do their doos there & the neighbors ignore letters from the housing, & seem to think the can do what they like.
We can not even go through the main front door to the block without seeing it eew, plus the smell wafts in through the windows / vents

Community Veteran

@ TORPC - I would speak to your local council - environmental health/dog warden. They might be able to do something.
There are also things you can put down (like sprays) which will deter dogs from going to the toilet there.
TORPC
Grafter

Been there, done that, wore the T-Shirt
Do you or anyone else know any sprays / products that actually work. that is not to expensive
Community Veteran

I'd put all that poop in a box, put it outside the neighbours door, set fire to it and ring their doorbell.
Once that have finished stamping out the fire they may get the hint ......
Community Veteran

There are some basic household things that deter dogs...
Lemon juice
Vinegar
Pepper
Chilli
Moth balls (be very careful as these are toxic to cats/dogs - but you can mix some with methylated spirits and spray this around)
I would clean the area up with some caustic soda and jeyes fluid. This will stop the dogs urinating over one another's urine. If you then put some deterrents down, they should learn very quickly not to urinate/poo there. This will hopefully [Censored] off the other neighbours who will have to take the dogs elsewhere.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Toro. Something like this maybe. I like the " undetectable" bit (sic).:-)
You can also get plug in ones but you would need a power supply there.
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=321321150217
Community Veteran

Just remembered, Lion poo. Not sure how effective against Dodd though. Here's a site that tells you how to make your own dog repellent.
http://home.howstuffworks.com/how-to-make-homemade-dog-repellent.htm
Good luck mate.
Community Veteran

Quote from: TORPC
Do you or anyone else know any sprays / products that actually work. that is not to expensive

I understand dogs (and cats) will not p or s within sight of a clear plastic bottle half filled with water, don't know why. Colleague is a dog breeder has 2-3 plastic bottles on his lawn, keeps his lawn 'clear'.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I will certainly be putting that idea to the test.
Our problem is cats, tried everything including mixing chilli flakes with hot curry powder and rubbing it along the top of the fence but to no avail.
Looking at the reviews on Lion poo and electronic devices not everyone who has tried them think they work.
nanotm
Pro

no but a super soaker filled with a mixture of lemon/lime juice and water and applied liberally to anything that strays into your property will work,
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you