cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does your insurance company do that ? ? ? ?

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

Does your insurance company do that ? ? ? ?

Most surprised to receive an email from my new motor insurance company....  RIAS....

ChickenHero.jpg

They also detailed their opening hours over the Easter Hols ! ! ...

Does your insurance company do that  ? ? ?? ?

15 REPLIES 15
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Re: Does your insurance company do that ? ? ? ?

Now had it been an (unbroken) chocolate egg in the post, I'd have been well impressed. 

Easter egg card by email? Nah, it's just a click of a button on a keyboard matey, even morse code would have been better! 

As for those greeting cards ordered over the internet, don't even get me started. Smiley

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
Longliner
Pro
Fixes: 4

Don't worry, your friendly insurance company knows what they're doing. Smiley The chick has broken out from the egg. So you have a broken eggshell. Under section 23 (ii) b4 of your policy, a broken egg will result in the loss of your no claims bonus and an extra 10% on next year's premium.

billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

It was a far better personal service when the insurance man came knocking on your door sorting out policy details and collecting money.

Internet a better modern convenient service bah.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Ah yes, "the man from the Pru" - were they always that tall? Smiley

Kipper-Williams-Prudentia-001.jpg

Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

My father-i-l, whom I never knew, was one, and from what I'm told, they were a help to folk at the poorer end, not only with insurance.

For the uninitiated the insurance and assurance policies they dealt with were Industrial Branch, others such as House Car... were Ordinary Branch. As people became more financially secure Industrial section fell out of favour, so the costs relative to business increased with inevitable results.

And BTW to become an agent, when he took up the post, it was quite usual to have to buy oneself in. No golden welcomes in those days!

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

I think it was a shilling a week for my old one which I had as a teenager and can well remember how disheartenting it was to feel I was paying for an insurance to look after me in my old age. Cannot recall the name of the company as it was so long ago, but I did come across the papers for it a while back and which have now been 'mislaid again. They used have such grand sounding names like "Hearts of Oak". 

Did the nanny state start to make it all go wrong and rob us of the ability to be self sufficient and responsible for our own welfare, or has it been a double edged sword.

I do wonder at times, I honestly do.

shutter
Community Veteran

@Minivanman wrote:

Ah yes, "the man from the Pru" - were they always that tall? Smiley

Kipper-Williams-Prudentia-001.jpg

Yes, I was..... and still am....   I had a super round... only worked about 3 evenings a week... and some short mornings... for 3 days  evenings would be about one to one and a half hours...  except once a month, would be about 2 and half hours.. on a Friday evening.

idonno
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

I got one from RIAS as well. Cheapest insurers for me out of a whole bunch. Would have been nice if a real egg had appeared though. Maybe that'll come next

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@idonno 

Still middle men peddling surely as they are in turn insured by the likes of Lloyds I should imagine - at least I think that's how it works.

But there you go, a deals a deal I guess, and good to keep them all on their toes!

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Just popped into my head, Friends Provident was the name of that insurance company I paid my shilling a week to. I must have been about fifteen or sixteen years old at the time. 

billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I remember my insurance man because he had a magic wallet.

You know the one with the crossed elastic where you lay the paper money against, fold the two halves and the money is now magically behind the elastic.

He also used to collect from my parents when I was a kid so I was always fascinated by that wallet.

shutter
Community Veteran

Yeah... I had one of those "magic wallets" too... they were an essential tool for getting rid of the folding money, quickly, and safely, rather than trying to stuff it in you inside or trouser pockets, whilst trying to write up the books, and hold a chatty line or two with the customer... !

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

No cash carrying nowadays, be to afraid of getting mugged. Knuppel

How long did you do the job for and how did it end? 

shutter
Community Veteran

A couple of years... quite enjoyed it.... but had an offer to become a Motor Accessory Shop Manager and took the opportunity as it came up... The Pru were going through some serious changes to the way they collected premiums and re structuring of the Agents was inevitable... so was probably a good move