Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does your Raspberry upset your TV?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Does your Raspberry upset your TV?

Hi all
Bit of an odd question but I have a Raspberry Pi plugged into the TV via HDMI. Whenever I flick back to freeview,half the channels are garbled and useless - especially my favourite - Quest!
Does anyone else have this problem?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Does your Raspberry upset your TV?

Nope.
I do find it annoying however when it turns on (and off) the television when it boots or shuts down - even if I'm watching telly, if I do a reboot then the telly power cycles.
Community Veteran

Actually - you have just reminded me of a similar issue I had a few years ago.
I used to run an old PC as a server in the attic. It coped with the mail, web serving but also had MythTV running on it.
One exceptionally hot summer I was monitoring the temperature of the drives and they were hitting 50 degrees+ so I removed the side of the case and put a pedestal fan next to it to try and keep it cool. A few days after I'd done this, every recording had glitches and the weaker channels failed altogether. I thought it was the fan so turned that off - same issue.
When watching live television, the glitches all came at regular intervals which seemed a bit strange. I tried a filtered supply and various software updates but still every channel was either unwatchable or had these glitches.
Only when I put the side cover back on the PC did I realise that the EMI from the motherboard was causing the glitches with the Freeview signal - the moment the case went back on the issues were resolved.
I've also seen this happen with Hauppauge TV cards plugged straight into the USB ports on PC's. When used with a short extension lead the issues go away.
So no - I've not had this with my Pi but yes - computer interference will do exactly what you have described under certain circumstances.
DaveyH
Pro
Fixes: 7

Quote from: picbits
I do find it annoying however when it turns on (and off) the television when it boots or shuts down - even if I'm watching telly, if I do a reboot then the telly power cycles.

Disable CEC, and it won't do it.

http://elinux.org/RPiconfig
Community Veteran

Cool - cheers for that Smiley