cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does your Chinese phone call home while you sleep?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Does your Chinese phone call home while you sleep?

An interesting report in The Register that the firmware in some Chinese manufactured smartphones secretly passes personal data  and messages back to servers hosted in China. An ideal surveillance tool.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: Does your Chinese phone call home while you sleep?

Thanks for the link.

I rarely use a mobile phone, just to make the odd call, but I did purchase a xgody phone on ebay for £50 so the information in the article is of concern to me, no private info on the phone but could the phone access other item I use such as a android tablet ?

That would be of concern to me.

Community Veteran

It is of course possible to play your own game here! Send some messages about the 10 tons of gold coins hidden in your cellar to pay the ISIS who will kidnap the POTUS. However do be sure to record your details  on the phone as the name of the locally hated yob who lives at the end of the street.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

gleneagles wrote:

I rarely use a mobile phone, just to make the odd call, but I did purchase a xgody phone on ebay for £50 so the information in the article is of concern to me, no private info on the phone but could the phone access other item I use such as a android tablet ?

That would be of concern to me.

You say you have no private info on the phone - that doesn't matter. It's a data gathering thing going on and that does enable the chinese to find you quite easily - via other peoples phone contacts.

A few years back I was shocked to get an email from facebook inviting me to join telling me that my boss, brother, a few colleagues and others were on facebook and waiting to connect. Turns out facebook allows people to upload their entire address book of email contacts in order to find them on facebook. What facebook doesn't tell anyone is that those contacts are then cross referenced meaning that they can work out who knows who and then start building up information they have on people that aren't even users. I got several more of those emails too. They did eventually stop but I was becoming pretty annoyed by it.

Now imagine that your phone is an open book to the chinese along with most of the people you know. They don't need info from your phone, they can get it from others and cross reference things, track your GPS movements, identify where you work, routes you take... 

I don't like the chinese espionage policy. Sure they make great stuff (with manufacturing business stolen from the west) but they seem obsessed with knowing everything about everyone... just like every other government. It isn't healthy.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Wish those clever Chinese could tell me where I'd left my phone!

Then I would be impressed.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

@journeys - I know where your phone is. It's there... no there, where you left it. Wink