cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does this collect Data to device or to their improvement services etc ??

TORPC
Grafter

Does this collect Data to device or to their improvement services etc ??

It is the same on 2.1
The main concern maybe, is the Credit Card Details being collected
As per tittle,

15 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: Does this collect Data to device or to their improvement services etc ??

Also can anyone tell me how long a piece of string is?  Cheesy
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

like the majority of apps on android they collect any and all data related to their own use, they also can and often do collect all other data available like message contents geo locations etc and it all goes back to the company server, some of that stuff will be used to better the app for future releases some of it will be to see how they can expand and better target the consumers to use their product
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
TORPC
Grafter

But why harvest the credit card numbers ?Huh
Yet not harvest passwords ?Huh
Considering the App is to help Blind - Low vision users, it is a bit much to harvest their card details (don't you think) ?Huh
myredhotcar
Grafter

The app appears to be made by Google. Bearing in mind they probably have your card details anyway I wouldn't worry personally.
If it really, really worries you either don't use it or use a pre-paid credit card with your account.
TORPC
Grafter

I don't intend to use the App, & Google should not have my card details, as I have never submitted it to them,
Harvesting / Collecting of CC / DC card details should be against the law & with Google getting hacked from time to time, it is not wise for them to even contemplate it
They even ask for card detail for FREE childrens books
its just plain wrong
myredhotcar
Grafter

They won't have your details if you don't use Google Wallet, no. If you don't ever input your card details there is nothing to worry about.
You could always contact Google for clarification but they may not reply because Google.
nanotm
Pro

Quote from: TORPC
But why harvest the credit card numbers ?Huh
Yet not harvest passwords ?Huh
Considering the App is to help Blind - Low vision users, it is a bit much to harvest their card details (don't you think) ?Huh

what they should said is "we don't harvest encrypted keystroke data" because that would be a more accurate reflection of exactly what they don't harvest, if your one of those people who has your tablet set to display passwords they get harvested as well.....
I queried this nearly 2 years ago when I read the play store terms (wanted a cheap album that was 99p through the Google store but it required Google play music app for the desktop to download it) pretty much every app has the exact same clauses (because someone is lazy and just ticks every box) its a generic catch all and apparently "most" apps don't actually harvest any info that doesn't concern themselves ......
TORPC
Grafter

I have just queried this with my bank, & they are going to look into it & they couldn't thank me enough for bringing it to their attention, & help to prevent the vulnerable from being targeted
The lady I spoke to said she has an android phone & did not know the App existed & will be checking, her phone when she goes on break,
She also said that they have been inundated with the flagging up of Google wanting card details just to download a FREE book, as well as other non payment times they want card details,
I did say that's good as that was going to be my next query
nanotm
Pro

wouldn't be surprised to hear that Google was branching out into the credit reference agency business in a few months, they must have the financials for a huge chunk of the worlds population by now, probably be more accurate than some of the companies currently offering the service ....
myredhotcar
Grafter

My card is stored left right and centre; Amazon, the PSN store, o2. Some companies want the CCV number but others don't. In the case of Amazon it may be because I have one-click ordering on. I used to hate it but as I used online services more and more I came to hate the continual trips to the wallet (and occasional instances where I would get to a bricks and mortar establishment and realise my card was at home on the keyboard) even more. Then I heard about these skimming devices used at some shops that could also be put into ATMs and stuff. I am uneasy about the situation (and I don't use any website that looks like it was made by the sort of person who would store my details in plain text) but I suppose things change. After all, most of these companies store my address and they could turn up and murder me in my bed using that.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Is anyone going to tell me how long a piece of string is?  Tongue
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
TORPC
Grafter

I wish I could Cheesy
However I do have  10 meter length of string, that has knots tied @ 1 Mtr intervals
Does this help ?Huh
Fixes: 125

Quote from: 7up
Is anyone going to tell me how long a piece of string is?  Tongue

I have three pieces in front of me. Which one do you want Wink

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

TORPC
Grafter

I did ask Mr Stringfellow how long he would be, & he told me to, go & get knotted Tongue Cheesy