cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does anybody think HS2 is a worth while investment

Community Veteran

Re: Does anybody think HS2 is a worth while investment

Many people round us have said that if it's only going to Birmingham then it's well worth the money.  Smiley

(just as long as it doesn't bring anyone back........  Lips are sealed )
Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

LOL!  Grin
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

It would be a far better investment if they delivered fibre internet links to every home in the country. This would help to reduce the need for people to travel for work and social reasons. HS2 is based on the premise of an increased need to travel. In the days of soaring energy costs we should be investing in technologies that reduce the country's energy bill. We must move away from an oil economy.
On the NIMBY front I have some sympathy; once taken by the railways that beautiful countryside will never be recovered. Lost in the need for speed.  I speak as a person who once had the Channel Tunnel rail link once routed within 100 feet of my house. The "planners" had decided the loss of one quarter of the local town park as an access point would have been perfectly acceptable, with no real appeal on the planning process. They eventually saw the light and rerouted to Stratford, it actually gained from the investment.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Guys Smiley
As a Yorkshireman I see the SE of England as congested and taking too much of the GDP of Britain
also for historic reasons London is the hub of most of our travel arrangements, road, rail, and air
So HS2 should be built for the sake of the rest of us. Budgeted as a national infrastructure project.
To expand economic development outside the SE (I would take it all the way to Scotland)
To improve connections to the major airports which are in the SE
To connect the north to the rest of Europe efficiently
I want to shoot through the SE not arrive there Grin
The SE nimbies have had an overinflated sense of their own importance for too long  Angry
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
nadger
Rising Star

I can see why there are protests from area near me ( Amersham, Chilterns etc)  as they won't benefit, in any way, from proposed new line.
They'll get all the disruption caused by the construction, drop in property values etc but have no access to high speed trains.
x47c
Grafter

The bit poster "Shutter" forgot to mention was that the Newbury bypass was in part built on an old railway track.
It ran almost due south from Didcot to Southampton.
Anyway the centre of Newbury  is still generally bad - particularly between two certain roundabouts on the old A34 route.
The bypass It is definatly an improvement - in that I can now avoid Newbury altogether in my travels south thus depriving the town of revenue.
The central problem to me is that the UK is the most overpopulated country in Europe (bar the Netherlands I think) in terms of people per square Km.
So any project of any form is going to directly impact a large number of people who are going to see their family homes they might have lived in for years destroyed.
If we had more unoccupied space then there would be far fewer complaints.
Community Veteran

Quote from: nadger
I can see why there are protests from area near me

So where are you Nadger?
That's my area too as you can probably guess from the comment about the tunnel almost going under my house.
Interesting thing is that I don't actually think there's a lot of Nimbyism in the area. What it has done is make local people think if it's worthwhile (the subject of this thread).
And those that have concluded it isn't (mainly on economic grounds) are using every argument to make their case.
Most of the others (who don't care or think it's a good idea) are just keeping quiet.
That's the way things are in life, including on Forums like this, only one side tends to make a lot of noise.  Grin
As for the rest of the country I suspect mass indifference or at best "sounds good and I'm not really paying for it or affected negatively so why not".  Cheesy
And I agree with PeterLoftus, except for his last line.  Angry
Community Veteran

Quote from: AlaricAdair
It would be a far better investment if they delivered fibre internet links to every home in the country.

Good point, (As mentioned in another thread) I didn't get a Japanese contract because of slow Internet, the "customer" was not prepared to have my PC installed on his site with me 'remoteing into it'.
On the NIMBY front (with wind turbines), if you offered anybody living within 2000 meters of a Wind turbine "free or discount electricity", people would be clamouring to have Turbines in their back yard. Same with Trains, offer a discount on Council tax.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

Quote from: journeys
Few years back I used to commute (by train) between Waikanae and Wellington (New Zealand), the trip took just over an hour with 5 or 6 stops (distance of  30 miles).
The train was not high speed, everybody (always) had a seat, even in the 'rush hour', tea & Coffee where supplied free as were both morning and evening newspapers. It was an enjoyable relaxed commute at a fair price for the ticket, didn't matter if you bought the ticket in advance or 'on the day' cost was the same.
I learnt speed was not a necessity, I'm for train travel but I think we should get the infrastructure working correctly first (for instance get everybody on all train services seated).

Slight difference in populations, New Zealand is bigger than England and has a population of one fifth that of England.
New Zealand almost reminded me of how it used to be in the 1960s in England with most of the population less well off but far more relaxed.
Fixes: 229

The way I see it is that, as mentioned before, the cost of tickets for the HS2 will be prohibiively expensive to the gerneral public so, therefore, is aimed at the business person.
They will perceive an increase in productivity with their travel time cut by x minutes but the costs will surely be borne by their customers which means we will all be paying extra for it anyway.
As waste of money if you ask me. Improve the current infrastucture and get current ticket prices down.
I have only travelled a few times over the last few years by train from the far south east to London. Not an unpleasant experience but it was on expenses. If I had to pay I would have travelled by coach - not that much longer but half the price (even less during peak hours).

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

mav
As my post above, my interest is getting through London not to it  Smiley
It would help all concerned if business travellers like myself were taken direct to European destinations without having to use public transport across London just filling up the system. HS2 should be connected to the rest of the Europe wide HS system and it should connect further north. York fo me.
Also we should have direct rail to Heathrow and Gatwick. At present I have to tote my own baggage across London on the underground  Crazy
This is the 21C
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran

Quote from: PeterLoftus
HS2 should be connected to the rest of the Europe wide HS system and it should connect further north.

I think it will be, though the interconections in London will be quite messy without major "surgery", certainly initially, but the potential is there.
I suspect the whole area around Euston/St Pancras/Kings Cross will have to be redeveloped as a transport hub/interchange eventually.
The interchange to Crossrail and/or Heathrow links at Old Oak Common is a bit weird too. (but is Thiefrow the future anyway?)
But, having looked at the plans in detail it's actually quite amazing how they've threaded HS2 through existing rail/industrial corridors with relatively very little impact on housing and communities (considering).
Community Veteran

Whilst York may be convenient for you Peter how many others would benefit?  The economics have to be considered as well.  Whether we like it or not London is the hub of our transport system.  
One thing we must look at is the capacity at our major airports.  There is an urgent need to expand runway capacity at Heathrow, Gatwick or Stansted or we will lose business to other European countries. I would like to see the government announce plans for another runway urgently. This would also create jobs in the construction industry.  
Community Veteran

artmo
York has always benefited from being on the route to Edinburgh and that is really my agenda. I believe Leeds and Manchester as destinations is part of HS2 planning but Alex Salmon doesn't agree . Cheesy
I must admit that as hubs Paris CDG and Amsterdam get a lot of my business (using Manchester Airport) because of the dire transport connections to the three London airports (and the pricing policy where flagship carriers give away feeder flights to get the international traffic). Cool
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran

Quote from: PeterLoftus
Also we should have direct rail to Heathrow and Gatwick. At present I have to tote my own baggage across London on the underground  Crazy

With all the hassle getting to from Heathrow, Gatwick or even Stansted then subsequent queuing and endless trekking through crowded lounges and security checks. I much prefer to fly out of Manchester, direct flights to most destinations. Where a change is required for long haul it’s easier to change in Paris or Amsterdam, (with KLM and Air France, we can normally ‘negotiate a ‘hotel paid stop-over’), which I’ve never known British Airways to do.
Often wondered what percentage of passengers travelling through London airports are actually going to/from the UK.