Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does anybody here still smoke, and why?

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Does anybody here still smoke, and why?

It must be forty years since I last smoked and no, I don't miss it. How about the rest of you guys - and by the way I'm not talking about the odd 'roll up' Wink - more of the twenty a day habit that some of us had.

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
22 REPLIES
Mayfly
Aspiring Pro

Re: Does anybody here still smoke, and why?

Not any longer I gave up 33 years ago. Just stopped over night after someone said to me 'You could afford a lot more if you stopped smoking'. So I did. I used to smoke 20 a day but never craved or missed them. They were a 99p a packet then.

Minivanman
Hero

99p? used pay half that back in the mid 60s..... but then they were Players No6. Smiley

Thing is I don't think I was ever 'addicted' in the true sense of the word - it was a very much unrealized at the time social habit and like you I managed to give us quite easily - added to which it was also affecting my health.

Really odd looking at some old VHS videos the other week from the late 70s of the family and nearly all the adults are holding a *cigarette.  

PS. *Tried writing 'eff a gee'.... but it got censored!  Roll eyes

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
jab1
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 5

I ended up on 20-a-day towards the end of my working life, but once I had to take enforced early retirement, that went down to ~20/week, and once they started ramping the prices up, I stopped.

Now  use vapes - probably costs £10.00/month for e-liquid and new carts.

John
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

i wasnt a big smoker 10 - 20 a day , gave up 3 year ago ,, still have a odd puff on E cig

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Interesting the response to the question(s)....  much the same as politicians... never answer a direct question, directly,  always answer another question that wasn`t asked... Makes you look more intelligent than you really are..

In other words... nobody has answered that they DO STILL SMOKE.. and given a reason WHY.. 

Me?  not being a politician.. I cannot answer the original question... Roll eyes

Minivanman
Hero

Paxman of course made Howard look like a right knob and not at all 'intelligent'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uwlsd8RAoqI

Community Veteran

@Minivanman and that is relevant to the O.P.`s question ..... because .................. ?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I once stood too close to a fire in my firepit and my leg started smoking, but I put a stop to that nasty habit very quickly... Crazy

Minivanman
Hero

@shutter

It was a direct response and followed your own comment about politicians and intelligence and nothing to do with the opening post. Drifting off from the original is what we do around here, where have you been? Smiley

Community Veteran

Yah, but... I wasn`t drifting off....

Minivanman
Hero

No?

OK then. Roll eyes

Community Veteran

Minivanman wrote:

Really odd looking at some old VHS videos the other week from the late 70s of the family and nearly all the adults are holding a *cigarette.  

And I guess I wasn't the only kid who used to buy their parents presents of fags, cigars, and fancy ashtrays.

Fixes: 47

Minivanman wrote:

Thing is I don't think I was ever 'addicted' in the true sense of the word

40ish years since I smoked and I guess I was the same as @Minivanman.

I used to buy a paper and 20 cigarettes on the way to work.

One morning I got to work, took out a cigarette, looked at it and gave the packet to a work colleague saying "I've stopped".

I've never smoked since.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Yes I still smoke... from my ears when something winds me up. This evening being the perfect example. The keyboard drawer on the desk decided to depart from the desk and break a bearing completely scattering a collection of very greasy little balls all over the carpet.

If you see a mushroom cloud tomorrow you know something else pushed me a bit too far Evil

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!