cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does advertising really work?

N/A

Does advertising really work?

This is 'own up' time.
I confess to trying very hard not to be duped by advertising - in fact I usually record TV programmes and whizz through the ads.
However, whilst reading my recent computer magazines I have come across an ad for Eset internet security suite. It is absolutely superb - a robot-type face with piercing eyes which gives you the sense that if you use this software nothing will get past it and you will be totally safe on the Internet. It has really taken my fancy and has almost got me reaching for my bank card (although actually there is a 60-day free trial available).
Just wondered if anyone else has been influenced by ads and had good/bad experiences?
50 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Does advertising really work?

I am an advertising cynic and always look for the catch. This as meant sometimes I have missed out on a good deal. I do look at printed adverts (fast forward through TV ones), but never base a purchase on the advert alone as I try to find out all the information they are not telling me about the product.
With regard to Eset in particular, I am using NOD32. Now interesting enough I had always ignored their adverts but took a look at the product through recommendation when wanting a new virus scanner. It was only after I trialled to the product did I actually read the advertising. Maybe I am just weird?
Fixes: 105

I'm more likely to be too cynical and then kick myself later for missing something good..
One along your lines was for F-Secure where it won a test and had a good ad in the same mag - but when I bought it and installed it became a right pain.
Last ad we were influenced by was a car ad when SWMBO was toying with getting a new car, that led to hours in a showroom as the ad was almost but not quite misleading.
ESET do NOD32 which is an oft recommended AV too  Smiley
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Poppy, you have fallen for the oldest ad ploy in the book, you're looking (as you were intended to do) at the dramatic picture, and the advertisers lingo and jargon. you might try googling for the product you're looking at and see if there's an independent test/review of it in the listing.
Like the other guy's here I'm very ad resistant, having worked with (but not for) an ad agency as a product adviser when TV ads are being made. I wouldn't trust one as far as I could throw them.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Everyone tells you they are cynical about adverts and wouldn't be taken in by them.  I hope I review ads objectively and use them as one part of my buying process.
I know ads do work though.  I used to work for a large retailer and we spent £10m a year on advertising and it certainly had people coming into our stores to buy.
Fixes: 47

Advertising doesn't work on me.
I don't buy something because someone says I should as it's the best, I do my research first.
Much advertising is to try and sell something that either is nearing the end of it's life and due to be replaced or not selling well because it's a poor product. Therefore the item in question is best avoided.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
StickyMick
Grafter

Personally myself, I find some adverts are just downright embarrassing, and they actually put me off the product rather than tempt me. Most of my shopping is compulsive or strictly on a needs basis anyway.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I can confirm that there was one occasion when advertising had a direct and permanent affect upon my buying habits.
I used to quite often by cans of soft drinks and my drink of choice was an Orange Tango.
Then the "You know when you've been Tangoed" advert came out (the one where the orange man slapped the victim on both cheeks and which had to be withdrawn because loads of kids were ending up with ruptured eardrums).
I thought the advert was so awful that I have never bought a single can of Tango since.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
N/A

Petlew - hadn't intended to purchase the product and yes, if I had, would have certainly googled for reviews first.
I'm no fan if internet security suites as I feel that many of them are too resource-hungry, instrusive and a hassle to get to grips with.
It was just rather a surprise to me that the ad was very compelling as I consider myself quite savvy in this area.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Quote from: Strat
Advertising doesn't work on me.
I don't buy something because someone says I should as it's the best, I do my research first.

Strat knows but I mean
weather tis more noble in the mind Tongue Tongue
Fixes: 47

I did my research and am very happy with my purchase Pierré Tongue  (with an accent ) Smiley
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
barky
Grafter

only if I'm actually wanting or considering the item being advertised do I pay much attention to ads -- 99% of the time it's all wasted on me -- I'm not one for impulse purchases or feeling the need to have the latest thing - and especially if I'd never heard of the product/company I'd do a bit of research.
going back to the original post by poppy, seeing a 'robot face' would automatically make me think BOT - and i'd be extremely suspicious
Community Veteran

Reading this thread implies that either we are more influenced by advertising than we think we are, we're more influenced by advertising than we're prepared to admit, or business wastes billions of pounds on a monthly basis.
Advertising serves two purposes.  It either lets us know that a product we know we need is available, or it tells us about a product that we didn't know we needed.  So for example car advertising will tell you about the nice new Volvo that's just come out, and BUPA advertising will point out that for a fee, you can get an allegedly  better service than you would on the NHS.
John
Community Veteran

I am an advertising cynic too.
However advertising clearly works for them or companies wouldn't spend money on it.
BTW,  ESET Smart Security is a very good product and I would recommend it.
N/A

Reading this thread implies that either we are more influenced by advertising than we think we are, we're more influenced by advertising than we're prepared to admit, or business wastes billions of pounds on a monthly basis.

Quite right - the companies wouldn't spend such large sums of money if it wasn't productive.
This is why I started the thread with the 'own up' comment. Mind you, we are a pretty savvy lot on this forum so it must be others who are influence, not us.
I like jelv's comments and he is to be congratulated for giving up a product for the sake of his conscience - well done.
Also of interest is that someone thinks that the ad would have reminded him of a bot - he is obviously more suspicious than me.
I gather that Eset is actually a good product but if I had been influenced by advertising I might have wasted my money had it been a poor one.