cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Vista cheat at Solitaire?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Does Vista cheat at Solitaire?

Like many users of Microsoft operating systems I've been playing Solitaire from time to time on all of them since Win 3.1 (only these days I don't have to keep a wary eye out for the boss) However, the version installed on Vista uses a different set of rules that allows multiple "undo's" This means you can change your mind about any number of previous moves. It also "helpfully" tells you when there are no further possible moves. And has a rather stupid animation if you win!!
The multiple undo "feature" does I think result in far more wins than with previous versions, I've had as many as five wins in a row -with a lot more losses of course- maintaining a win average around 30 to 40% which I think is far higher than any previous version, and much much higher than you could get playing with a real pack of cards'
So the question remains, does Vista cheat at Solitaire?
PS. for a more challenging game try the 4 pack Spider Solitaire. 
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
6 REPLIES
N/A

Re: Does Vista cheat at Solitaire?

As a Solitaire aficionado, I hadn't considered the Undo function as cheating, but there could be a case for it I suppose.
The animations, of course, can be turned off. People get very protective of their favourite Solitaire - saw a fairly recent forum thread from someone who wanted to make XP Solitaire work in Vista (it does, BTW).
Linux Solitaire seems to cheat all the way as it only turns over single cards so is much easier to win. Couldn't find out if it can be configured differently, although I did look.
As for Spider Solitaire, have tried it but can't seem to get the hang of the game.  Huh
Community Veteran

@poppy, As I recall the 1 or 3 card turn over was selectable in most previous versions of MS Solitaire, I think one was called Vagas rules, but I don't remember which one it was.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I use a two pack one called ARACHNID.EXE, just going to see if it is still available, had it on my machine for years
looks like its here  http://www.filestube.com/7f6d374b85a8d14d03e9/details.html
Community Veteran

Thanks pierre, For many years (better part of 35) my wife and I have played a two player patience game called not surprisingly "Double Pack Patience" one of the best two player card games I know of apart from Cribbage.
Around ten years ago I found a computerised version of the game that plays it in exactly the same way we do except we shuffle two packs of cards together the PC version uses an unmixed pack each. some while back I was looking to add this to SWMBO's PC and couldn't find it online anymore (I recall the author and website were Dutch) but I was able to transfer the programme by email between us. It works quite happily on all versions of Windows including Vista. And you can play against the computer.
I dimly recall that I have seen this game described in print called Russian Bank, which also uses the unshuffled together packs as above, so its quite likely that technically "our" version is wrong, but seems to lead to more very occasional stalemates than the separate pack method.
Anybody interested in the PC version PM me.

Community Veteran

A quick Google finds it is available (again) perhaps I should have looked prior to the previous post, the company is the same (ShrikeE) however the download may have sponsors now.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

http://www.solsuite.com/
500+ different solitaire games in one package.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)