Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dodgy second hand car

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Dodgy second hand car

Imagine buying a tidy second hand car and finding out after the first week that it needed a new drive shaft. The garage will cover the cost of repair of course but, would you accept it back after repair or take a full refund if it was offered.

This is a real case scenario I have on my doorstep and my advice would be to take the money (three and a half grand) and go elsewhere.

How about it guys.

PS. Estimated cost of new drive shaft otherwise, £700. 

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Re: Dodgy second hand car

depends what the guarantee was when you agreed to buy the car.
the question to ask yourself is, if you went to see the car and they said it had a brand new drive shaft just fitted, would you have still bought the car?

a car valued at £3.5k, i would assume, it going to be reasonaly old already, and you would expect various parts to be coming to the age for replacement.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Depends on if you trust it. The repair is not going to cost anything (so lucky there).

I'd get it repaired then see how it feels once you drive it.

maranello
Aspiring Pro

Without any more details on the make/model, age, mileage, general condition etc. it is difficult to give any definitive advice.The garage cannot sell the car without repairing it, as it is a known issue. The garage may not have known it needed repair, in which case they would probably be losing money on the sale. They probably don't want it back as they may not get what you paid for it if they tried to sell it to someone else. I would accept the car after it has been fixed, but only if they were willing to allow an independent inspection (e.g. RAC) before confirming. Then either get anything else fixed by the garage (if they agree to cover the cost) or ask for a refund. The inspection itself would cost ~£100-150. Depending on the extent of any other issues identified you might be better off with a refund.

My other car isn't a Ferrari
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

@maranello

Excellent advice but personally I would take the money.

By taking the money you are back at square one, if you keep the car and some expensive problem crops up later you will be annoyed with yourself for not taking the cash an will be wondering what is the next thing to go wrong.

Back to the drive shaft, I think they have needle pin bearings in them and as they fail a gradual and increasing amount of free play occurs in the drive shaft which becomes more obvious as you let the clutch out and a clunking sound occurs as the free play is taken up, this description is for a rear wheel drive car but a front wheel drive car would display the same symptoms with the drive shafts so it's hard to see how the garage would not know of the problem if they had driven the car keeping in mind they are mechanics, thus another reason for taking the money

Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

A drive shaft replacement can mean many things.

Was it needing replaced because the car was mistreated while being driven?

A result of neglect by the previous owner?

Or just a sign of old age?

Regardless of which one I'd be looking for my barge pole on this one and without hesitation I’d take the money and shop elsewhere.

Unless you know the true reason why it needed a new drive shaft, then that may well be the start of a can of worms. So once you’ve made your mind up on a replacement invest in an AA / RAC inspection, if something goes wrong then I’m sure there is some form of recourse you can fall back on if the car fails within a time period after the inspection.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

question is.. is the buyer entitled to a refund?
the seller has to be given the opportunity to fix the problem, but does the seller have an obligation to offer a refund?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

I'm sure a full refund would fall under the 'Fit for purpose' portion of the law, as I don't think that a drive shaft can only show signs of needing replaced over night, or within what I would suspect would be a very limited mileage done in the week the new owner had the car.

Being a cynical git, it tells me that they may well have known it needed replacing but hoped that it wouldn't fail so quick and then maybe get paid at a later date to do the job. If we believe the dealers margins are tight so the less money spent the more profit they make. The whole thing smell off to me and most people I know walk away from bad smells.

Minivanman
Hero

Thanks for the comments guys, all taken on board. Thumbs Up

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.