Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dodgy Car dealer

Community Veteran

Dodgy Car dealer

Some may have seen this from another post but take a look at
http://slbcars.mypressonline.com/
This is problems we have had with our car. We have heard from Trading Standards today who are now going to take the firm to court on criminal charges for selling a lethal car. Unfortunately we can print the pictures of the 5 massive holes under the car until its been to court
Trading Standards said they couldnt comment on other complaints but hinted that the complaints to the website were a  good indication (say no more wink wink). We now have to wait for the court so TS can claim compensation for us. They say its up to the credit cards company to refund the money but its a strange case as we traded a car in so if the credit card refund the money we are still owed money and we want money for repairs done on the car. Even the credit card are at a lose as they normally take the goods but they cant as they are one paying for half a car
Has anyone else used the website to highlight issues like this with any success? I have for years used my site to highlight local issues and often firms and the council and Police will jump through hoops if it gets on the web as Sgt Jones you to say they dont like it up um.
52 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Dodgy Car dealer

This is an horrendous story.  Good luck in your legal battle.  Companies like this shouldn't be allowed to trade.  Someone could get killed in one of their cars.
avalon
Grafter

Sounds like the car was previously owned by a boy racer into modding and racing.  Personally I'd never buy a secondhand Saxo as that or a Corsa are the car of choice for boy racers to modify by themselves being cheap and with plenty of aftermarket kits available.
They add all kinds of body kits, engine mods, light mods, big bore exhausts, etc and go on "burn ups" in supermarket car parks and such to smoke the tyres and show off.  The car has probably been thrashed to within an inch of it's life and is fit only for scrap.  On selling the car he probably took off anything he could use on his next car, or sell off to recover some of his costs, hence the holes etc.  The thick red wires dangling in the boot were probably power for the massive amplifier and speakers that formerly filled the boot.
If you want more ammo I'd suggest getting the engine management unit checked. If owned previously by a boy racer it's quite likely it's been "chipped" to increase performance at the expense of fuel economy and engine life.
Community Veteran

Quote from: me

If you want more ammo I'd suggest getting the engine management unit checked. If owned previously by a boy racer it's quite likely it's been "chipped" to increase performance at the expense of fuel economy and engine life.

If the vehicle has been chipped this could also invalidate your insurance.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Sounds like you've been really unlucky mate. I won't buy from a trader - they're in it to make maximum profit from a cheap car which they probably paid 1/2 the price for. Cheap cars usually have faults with them. Get my drift?
Buy privately OR from a respectable garage which you know a few people have bought from. A respectable garages name will come to you from many different people.
If buying privately, be sure to try and get a car with a good reputation. EG Volvo. Boy racers don't like volvos either. They tend to prefer the smaller cars which they can chip, rip apart and modify etc - which sounds like the history of your car.
I don't know what your car running budget is, but I recently got a Renault Safrane. Great cars but they are 2.5ltr. The positive side being that you can pick them up on ebay for about £500 and they're pretty solid cars. Anyone who has had one normally looks after them and they don't attract boy racers - probably because they're very complex to work on. Volvo as mentioned previously is always a good bet (except for the ones with Renault engines - The Safrane has a volvo engine btw). Japanese cars are also good too. Don't go for a Golf though - again, like Saxos, and other small boy racer cars, Golfs are loved and adored by the boy racers.
Good luck with Trading standards, hope you get it all sorted out!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Assuming it's a petrol engine the reason it is cheap is that the road tax is going to go through the roof  Angry like my Omega
Community Veteran

Yes, that's a good point about road tax.  Gordon Brown is taxing even standard cars very highly from next year.  Even ordinary cars like Mondeos and Focus' will be hit....unless Brown it out by then Wink Wink  Please let it be  Grin
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

"The claim is not limited to the amount of the credit card transaction. Customers can claim for all losses caused by the breach of contract or misrepresentation. And this applies even if all they paid by credit card was the deposit."
http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/ombudsman-news/31/creditcards-31.htm
Community Veteran

Hi Alanf is right.  The Consumer Credit Act (section 75) makes the credit card company equally and severably liable in the contract.  If you are owed a full refund, then the credit card company should pay up the full amount. It's then up to them to get their money back from the retailer.  It's definitely worth writing to them, pointing this out, and requesting a full refund.
John
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: Oldjim
Assuming it's a petrol engine the reason it is cheap is that the road tax is going to go through the roof  Angry like my Omega

For cars registered after 2001 yes.
Safranes ceased production in 99/00 Wink Mine is 1998 and thus I'll pay a whopping extra £5 Smiley
Omega is far newer. I've no idea about the gizmos they have etc, but the saff is very tooled up for gadgets. It even has rear wheel steering too which means it has a smaller turning circle than our megane (which has a shorter wheelbase!) I can turn the saff in almost any space.
Like I said though, 2.5 ltr is a bit steep to refuel BUT they're solid cars powered by volvo.
I know this isn't everyones dream, but pre2001 cars are now the way forward unless you've got more money than sense..
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Where can we see a list of the proposed tax levels?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

There is a calculator at http://www.vcacarfueldata.org.uk/ved/ which will reveal the enormity of your road tax.
I get the impression that taxing a small lorry or bus would be cheaper than a car.

Community Veteran

Oldjim and Axisofefil, thanks for the links.  They make interesting reading but at the end of the day it's just another excuse for the government to get their hands into my pockets.
Community Veteran

Thanks for the info  alanf having looked at it it seems as though I may be able to even make a profit. I think I can claim all the repairs tax and insurance for the time its been off the road while they are arguing about it and I might be able to claim repair to the wifes car as this had to be done as the car wasnt usable so we had to get the other on the road. Its worth a try anyway.
The trouble is its still stuck at home and we cant sell it or do anything as TS have the log book etc so the longer it goes on the more we fork out in insurance as you bet your life if we dont insure it someone will wreck it.