Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Doctors' waiting list times.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Doctors' waiting list times.

I had a surprise earlier this week. I had occasion to ring my GP surgery for a telephone consultation, which in the past has been a simple way of not bothering the Doc with an appointment, and it often sorts non urgent problems easily and simply.

The date I was given was two weeks away. Two weeks. I was told that they operate a non-urgent list of "up to two weeks for physical appointments and telephone appointments", which in practice means that you always get stuck on the end of a two week waiting list.

It is possible to get an earlier one, but it has to be very urgent, whatever that means. No wonder people just go down the A&E.

What does your GP use as a booking system?

24 REPLIES 24
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

Re: Doctors' waiting list times.

Same here..... [-Censored-] service.... what annoys me, is that the receptionists are not medically trained.... but they decide if you need a doctor... or a nurse appointment.. purely on  what you said on the phone.

I know they can only allocate a set amount of 10 minute appointments... but it is ridiculous..  6 weeks ago, my missus needed to see the doc.... last Tuesday... she actually managed it.. ( after going through the "procedures" and the "protocol" of having to talk on the phone.. ) She is in a worse state now, due to stress, and depression because she feels that nobody is listening to her... and the docs have only increased her painkillers.. from the original dose 6 weeks ago, she is now on triple values... and the pain has increased.

our "group practice" only rates 3 stars for service on the NHS reviews listings... I put a review on there, and it was only one star...  that is the lowest you can give, ... if there was a zero or a minus, then that would have been ideal....

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 9

I book with the receptionist either by phone or in person, and have never had a problem getting an appointment on the day I want it, but then I think my GP is one of the least popular in the area. Laugh

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lucky for some @Jonpe, I wanted a non urgent appointment and the earliest I was offered was 34 days away in October!

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

@shutter 

"what annoys me, is that the receptionists are not medically trained.... but they decide if you need a doctor... or a nurse appointment.. purely on  what you said on the phone"

Then don't tell them. I never ever do, ever.

As for waiting times, at the moment ours is anything from two to three weeks. Often the resident nurse practitioner/s will take some of the load but more often than not (and if you have not seen one before) we have to wait our time until we can join the coughing crowd and screaming kids. 

Highlighted
Pro

Not too bad down here. You can generally get a same day appointment to see a doc, they are hellishly busy though.

I spoke to the one doctor there at about 11 the one morning, and he said he'd already had 45 calls himself. He is the head bloke there though.

What I was surprised at was that earlier on in the year I needed a couple of minor ops to remove skin growths. Fortunately both non-malignant. In both cases the appointment came within a few days. I was seen for one at a local medical centre, and the other at the local big hospital as an out patient, and was treated really well in every sense I thought.

Highlighted
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 8

Here in Staffordshire we can book online to see a doctor. I have booked one this morning and the earliest available is 15th October. Our only other option is to phone the surgery at 8.00 am each day and join the lottery for the spaces that are available for that day. Obviously more urgent cases get the slots on that day. I am trying to get a referral to a consultant for a small surgical procedure, so that is not urgent by current standards.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Couple of weeks here which is of course useless for most things. The only "earlier" option is to ring in the morning just as they are opening and hope there's been a cancellation.

And they still complain about the full A&E's. They just don't get it. It's a good and often only alternative to waiting if you're in pain.

Highlighted
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 5

I remember when there wasn’t a booking system, there wasn’t a receptionist or even a reception. You just turned up and waited to see the Doctor...

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

No medical centres either which just goes to show, more access to care, the more care is 'needed'.

When the heck did people get so much wrong with them. You'd have thought that with modern health care and health education the numbers would go down not up.

What a screw up. Crazy2

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Average 2 week wait if you want to see a GP at the Health Centre....do not bother to phone for an appointment as it's impossible to get through on the phone so have to go in person to make an appointment.

Repeat prescriptions are not available by phone, order via internet or leave repeat slip in box at the health centre.

On arrival at health centre there is a screen to book yourself in for arranged appointment.

Health centre closed at week ends and half day on thursday for staff training.

Never see the same Doctor twice..

Old System....turn up, might have to wait up to a hour if waiting room was full, seen by same Doctor every time....

Where did it go wrong..?

Highlighted
Aspiring Champion

At our surgery you never knew which Doctor would turn up. If an unpopular one appeared the waiting time was considerably reduced.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

@Champnet 

'which doctor' ? or witch doctor ?

Highlighted
Aspiring Champion

Who knows, could have been either....

Highlighted
Seasoned Champion

Pretty much every doctor now works on a 2 week wait - this is the reason A&E gets swamped with people... doctors are paid far more than they ever were and work an average 3 or 4 day week at most, I can remember when they used to have a surgery in the morning and afternoon where you could just turn up and wait, and they also did home calls in-between.   Now whenever you go into waiting room hardly anyone in there,  this is madness - seems to have happened since the 'new contracts' when doctors pay went up 50% and they were contracted to work less hours, but they now had a budget and are now more like an accountant than a doctor - they pretty always send you to hospital for blood test or check so I guess most people have figured out they will be sent to hospital anyway so why not just turn up at A&E and cut out the highly paid middleman.