Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Doctors' waiting list times.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Re: Doctors' waiting list times.

Doctors pay - and I don't care what any 'my friend the doctor' posters here say, has been a bee in my bonnet for years ever since I worked alongside them as a student many years back as an 'out-of-hours' driver.

£3.50 an hour, doctors pay (and bear in mind this was there second job) £35.00 an hour.

Bevan certainly "stuffed their mouths with gold" back in '48 that's for sure.

The amount of money one man earns over and above another regardless of qaulifications is an absolute obscenity. Fair reward for study and hard work no problem but some pay differentials just take the piddle.

Announced this morning for those who did not catch it was the appointment of Alison Rose as the new chief executive for RBS.

Two point two million a year, or £2,200,000 for the hard of hearing. 

The man that knows everything knows nothing.
Highlighted
Seasoned Pro

Our surgery sees you the same day. No idea how you get through a 8.00am. 10 seconds to 8.00 answer machine, 2 secs after engaged. Can always get through by 8.10 tho'.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

@Champnet wrote:

I remember when there wasn’t a booking system  You just turned up and waited to see the Doctor...

I seem to remember a row of chairs just like the ones that was in the barbers. And you never had to book there either.

Highlighted
Seasoned Champion

@Minivanman wrote:

Announced this morning for those who did not catch it was the appointment of Alison Rose as the new chief executive for RBS.

Two point two million a year, or £2,200,000 for the hard of hearing. 

Compare the money for running a bank that failed and was kept running by taxpayers money ( the old 'too big to fail' malarkey ) with Prime ministers salary - one gets £2.2 million for running a bank with a few million customers, the other gets £125 K for running a country of 70 million - madness.... but then again some local council leaders are on salaries way more than our PM,  even some heads or charities ( that's right - charities - those organisations that little old ladies give their pension money to ) are on eye-watering salaries....

Highlighted
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

Lines at the doctors open up at 8.45am for appointments. No point phoning after 3pm as that is for urgent cases only.

But what happens when I phone up? First I get told what number I'm in the queue (surprisingly I've been 1 in queue at 10am). 2. Tell person who answers who I would like to see and a general outline of what the problem is. Sometimes they might suggest seeing a practise nurse. Not a problem because if when I go see them and it turns out that it is beyond their level of expertise, they go get a doctor. Smiley But if you decline that option, you then get on the waiting list for the doctor to call back - within the hour. Most I've waited is 15 mins. The doctor will then decide whether I get to see a doctor or a nurse that day.

Only once have I been told that there are no appointments available that day, phoned quite late - "how about one tomorrow morning?" If I want / need a blood test done, they have a walk-in clinic every day. Take a number and I get seen in turn. Go after 10am and frequently I get seen nigh on straight away.

I might add my friend who lives 20 odd miles away has a totally different experience. Finds it very difficult to get an appointment when he would like.

As to A&E being overwhelmed? Been 3 times to A&E this year (as directed by 111) and each time been seen by a nurse who done the preliminaries within 30 mins of being booked in. Thought everywhere was sort of same same. Plenty of seats available too.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Highlighted
Pro

Our experience here is similar.  If the call recipient thinks you may need a doctor the duty doctor calls you back for triage fairly soon.   Depending on your symptoms you might be allocated an "emergency" slot asap, put into the next available general slot, given a prescription, or told not to worry but ring again if it doesn't get better in the next x days.

This system has been in operation for a year and seems to be working well.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@ffox 

Hopefully "the call recipient" is medically trained at least to some degree, otherwise...

The man that knows everything knows nothing.
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

@Minivanman wrote:

Doctors pay - and I don't care what any 'my friend the doctor' posters here, Bevan certainly "stuffed their mouths with gold" back in '48 that's for sure.

True...but did he have a choice ?

If he had failed to do that there would have been no NHS.

As you know the BMA which is the strongest union in the country were not in favour of the NHS.

The amount of money wasted in the NHS by people who simply abuse it by either not turning up to appointments or attending the Doctors or A&E with things that a bit of common sense could cure, add to that the cost of fraud in the NHS and the extra money paid to Doctors compared to what they should really get paid is small.

It was those labour idiots who gave doctors what they wanted and reduced their hours at the same time, what other workers have ever got the pay rise they asked for along with reduced hours.

At least Doctors have had to do years of training and these days are more accountable for decisions made, compare that to some high paid bankers or CEO's who lose us billions and walk away with more than just their pockets full of gold.

So did Bevan really have a choice.....I think not.

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 9

@Minesapint wrote:

What I was surprised at was that earlier on in the year I needed a couple of minor ops to remove skin growths. Fortunately both non-malignant. In both cases the appointment came within a few days. I was seen for one at a local medical centre, and the other at the local big hospital as an out patient, and was treated really well in every sense I thought.

Doctors have been complaining for many years now about 'procedures' being prioritised by managers in order to increase their 'units of clinical activity' rather than according to patients' needs, i.e. time consuming treatments for painful conditions are delayed in favour of minor quick treatments that improve the trusts figures.

Highlighted
Seasoned Pro

When I took my OH to A&E, after speaking with 111, because of severe stomach pains to the point of it taking his breath away and almost passing out we were seen within 15mins. The nurse administered pain relief. Great I thought, we then waited another 4.5hrs to see a doctor who read his notes asked if he had pain now to which the answer was no. He then said sorry I can't do anything if you haven't any pain I can't diagnose!