cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Doctors' strike cancelled

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Doctors' strike cancelled

I see the Doctors' strike has been cancelled at the last moment, but not before thousands of operations were cancelled. I wonder if they didn't want to lose a day's wages despite having caused the chaos.
The negotiators from both sides should be locked in a room together until they produce a definitive solution
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
9 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Doctors' strike cancelled

Quote from: AlaricAdair
I wonder if they didn't want to lose a day's wages despite having caused the chaos.

Who is they? It's not the junior doctors at the negotiation table, it's their union.
nanotm
Pro

the union lied to its members to make the government look bad and refused to enter into talks and spread their propaganda to the press.... the junior doctors are just puppets being played by their union by a leader who has political ambitions ....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

and all along the fat cat union leaders continue to collect their over inflated wages, all paid for by the plebs that are stupid enough to give the union part of their own wage every month.
Community Veteran

Quote from: nanotm
the union lied to its members to make the government look bad and refused to enter into talks and spread their propaganda to the press.... the junior doctors are just puppets being played by their union by a leader who has political ambitions ....

Do you ever stop posting nonsense?
Where have you read that Mark Porter has political ambitions?
Where have you read that the BMA refused to enter into talks? You will find it was the government/Jeremy Hunt that refused to enter into negotiation talks - https://www.rt.com/uk/323540-junior-doctors-jeremy-hunt/
Mr Hunt rejected calls to hold talks, although he told the BBC the government was not ruling that out "at some stage".
nanotm
Pro

i read about the changes on the BMA's own website (since removed like a lot of the other info pages about the whole thing), they were asked about making contract changes came up with the proposals handed them to the government who spent a couple of years looking through then presented them to the junior doctors BMA representative and that's when the strike bs started, he didn't even bother to show up to the first meeting to discuss the matter and point blank refused to sit down for 2 weeks focusing completely on the marketing and spin campaign to get the public on side before any information was released, senior BMA members went on TV and gave interviews detailing the fact the junior doctors leader wasn't a good doctor and had political career aspirations ....
and I'd rather believe what I see as on the record interviews on the news than what some Russian propaganda machine pumps out .....
Community Veteran

Quote from: nanotm
i read about the changes on the BMA's own website (since removed like a lot of the other info pages about the whole thing)

Well that's just great - you read something (which would make zero sense - why would the BMA refuse to enter talks and then publish that on their website when they are the ones with the demands?!  Huh ) and then it no longer exists.
And the political ambitions of the head of the BMA? I take it that interview no longer exists?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

http://home.bt.com/news/uk-news/government-set-for-acas-talks-over-strike-threat-by-junior-doctors-1...
Talks between the British Medical Association (BMA) and the Government will continue tomorrow in an effort to avert strike action by junior doctors.
A spokesman for the Advisory, Conciliation and Arbitration Service (Acas) said discussions between NHS Employers, the Department of Health and the BMA have adjourned for the day and will resume tomorrow.
The talks, which began today, came after Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt performed a U-turn to avoid industrial action by thousands of doctors.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/nov/25/junior-doctors-strike-jeremy-hunt-agrees-to-acas-tal...
Sarah Wollaston, the Tory MP and former GP who chairs the Commons health select committee, criticised the BMA for persisting with strike action while simultaneously engaging in talks.
“Pleased to hear from [the] prime minister that government have agreed to Acas conciliation. I hope the BMA will now suspend strike action,” tweeted Wollaston, who had been working behind the scenes to try to avert the strikes.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/jeremy-hunt-makes-humiliating-climbdown-6899321
Jeremy Hunt has performed a dramatic U-turn offering to negotiate with junior doctors using an arbitrator in an attempt to avoid a strike .
In an eleventh-hour climbdown, the Health Secretary offered to commence talks with independent arbitration body ACAS.
Unions approached ACAS ahead of voting for strike action in the hope a solution could be reached.
But the health secretary was reluctant to negotiate unless it was directly with unions.
nanotm
Pro

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/why-are-junior-doctors-marching-against-jeremy-hunts-nhs-contract-changes-1... I don't understand why he bothered to agree to sit down with them there the group that's refused to have a discussion up to this point /
and that's in spite of the fact that in 2012 it was the BMA that dreamed up the proposals in the first place /
Community Veteran

Quote from: AndyH

Where have you read that the BMA refused to enter into talks? You will find it was the government/Jeremy Hunt that refused to enter into negotiation talks - https://www.rt.com/uk/323540-junior-doctors-jeremy-hunt/
Mr Hunt rejected calls to hold talks, although he told the BBC the government was not ruling that out "at some stage".

In Parliament yesterday Jeremy Hunt acknowledged that he had delayed talks with the BMA because he wanted time to consider his position. Through ACAS it has now been agreed that the respective arguments from both sides will be reviewed within a 6 week window.