Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Doctors against booze

Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Doctors against booze

http://nannyknowsbest.blogspot.com/2009/10/booze-police.html
I agree with the blogger - where can you get beer for £1.50 per pint in a pub, £2.50 is nearer the mark and it doesn't reduce for a shandy
6 REPLIES
dgdclynx
Grafter

Re: Doctors against booze

Pubs in Bath sell at that price to compete with Wetherspoons. Needless to say they are frequented by those with limited means... low paid and pensioners.
CAMRA have been pushing 50p/unit  for  a long time now and it would definitely help your average pub selling beer in Bath at around 2.80 compete with the supermarkets but politically it would be very unpopular. See para above.
Scotland seems to be bringing in 40p/unit but England....
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Bit too far to drive for a pint  Grin
The other thing is
£4.50 for a bottle of wine in the supermarket
This would either put the prices up for all wine under say £10 to maintain the differentials or the present low cost/low quality wine would suddenly lose it's market.
Fixes: 105

It was bound to happen, as soon as the smoking ban was accepted booze was the next obvious target.
Following shortly will be various types of food.
I was gutted when they banned advertising certain foods on kids tv, I'd rather be nagged about that then all the crap toys they're trying to sell...
Will Moderate For Thanks
dgdclynx
Grafter

Too many of the pubs round me have shut cos of competition from the supermarkets. I dont want to lose my local which is back of my house so I am all for the 50p/unit which might help save it.
In ten years time only bussing in to the town centre pubs will be the available option.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

We have free bus services to ASDA and TESCO around here....... Why don`t pubs do the same thing??  Roll eyes
dgdclynx
Grafter

I will be using my buspass to town visiting The Raven tomorrow.