cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Doctor A Rat just passed me!!

kdoug007
Grafter

Doctor A Rat just passed me!!

A RAT has been found in a hospital’s operating theatre — causing several sessions of surgery to be cancelled.
Pest controllers were called in after the rodent, which can spread salmonella and carry potentially fatal Weil’s disease, was spotted.
Staff at King’s Mill Hospital in Mansfield, Notts, said the rat scurried in at night when the area was not in use.
Director of operations Karen Tomlinson said: “We were extremely shocked to learn that there was evidence of a rodent having entered our operating department.
“We immediately took steps to thoroughly clean the area and called in external pest control experts to eradicate the problem.
“It was therefore necessary to postpone a small number of operations.”
The hospital apologised to affected patients.

4 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Doctor A Rat just passed me!!

The problem is usually in the surrounding area. One place I used to work, I spent dinner times watching literally dozens of rats climbing up and down trees a few feet away from my window.
When poison was put out the rats were gone in a flash and never seen again.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I think we got one up in our loft somewhere as every other night something is running around up there (sounds more like a cat though as it clearly has some weight to it). It woke us both up the other night chewing something up and was really loud about it.
I ain't going up to investigate.. i don't fancy coming face to face with an oversized rat  Crazy
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

I have two traps permanently up in my attic and catch the occasional one.
Sometimes at night I hear the clatter of claws going past my bedroom window in the guttering.
I assume they climb up the inside of the drainpipes. I keep meaning to try jamming a little ball of chicken wire up the bottom of the pipe to see if it stops them.
itsme
Grafter

[quote=http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2228656/Operations-cancelled-rat-theatre-Kings-Mill-Hospital-Mansfield.html]Rats can carry salmonella and the deadly Weil’s disease, also known as mud fever, which is spread by contact with infected urine and is thought to kill two or three people a year in Britain.
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2228656/Operations-cancelled-rat-theatre-Kings-Mill-Hospit...
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

As a kayaker I'm very familiar with the risk of Leptospirosis and I have never heard it referred to as mud fever. in fact a search on Mud fever seem to give a definition of a skin disease.  Very bad reporting from the Mail.

The most serious concern about rats infesting hospitals is the potential threat of Weil’s disease, which is caught through contact with infected rat urine.
Also known as leptospirosis, it is thought to have caused the death two years ago of British double Olympic gold-medal winning rower Andy Holmes after he fell into the water during a 26-mile sculling marathon in Boston, Lincolnshire.
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2228656/Operations-cancelled-rat-theatre-Kings-Mill-Hospit...
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Thought it was the other way round Leptospirosis also known as Weils disease.