Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you worry about..

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Do you worry about..

radio waves?
I certainly do! We are swimming in them these days. Mobile phones, wifi devices, 3g hotspots and now busses and trains slowly drowning us in EM radiation too!
Incredibly handy things but what nobody tells you is that radio waves basically consist of (sub) atomic particles being fired through everything possible - including the human body and it's DNA.
Cells can repair themselves.. but what happens when the repair mechanism is hit and knackered? - and we wonder why cancers are going up exponentially? - Coincidence?
It has to be said.. I think wifi and mobile communications are GREAT! But I do worry about the amount of EM we're all being exposed to. If I scan the wifi outside our place there are around 20 of them. Then there are the stronger mobile phones / 3G signals that flow through multiple buildings ... from multiple devices.. all day.. all night.. millions of bits of data being signalled each time...
Worrying!?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
12 REPLIES
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Do you worry about..

it cant be a coincidence that the more high energy signals that are transmitted throught the populations centers the more cancers there are, many times over the last 2 decades people have intimated through various reports that cancer clusters have been concentrated around transmitters but every time these are rebutted by things like the SAR test (100 mobiles in a lead lined box with a box of eggs for 24 hours) although they never do the same test with a transmitter base station inside the box to prove they are also "safe" so one has to wonder about the voracity of them.
its clear there are correlations between rising health problems and the amount of higher spectrum EM signals being broadcast but to what extent they cause problems has never been tested properly (because it would hamper profit margins) I worry about the transmitters far more than I do the devices they operate (due to operating power)  for several years I refused to use wifi in the home although this has now stopped being such a concern (as home equipment is much lower power than things like the external systems) but having been faced with my own mortality a few years ago I am now far more comfortable with the fact that everyone dies of something so why stress about exactly what your going to die from when that little gem is rather outside of normal control  Wink
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
WTF
Grafter

The problem, of course is that there are many, many factors that could affect the health of large population centres, EM being but one.  I suspect the high air pollution is probably a bigger factor in cancers, but what do I know?
Correlation does not equal causation  Roll eyes
Fixes: 121

Start worrying about EM, additives in food, the residues from plastic bottles in the water one drinks, bit's of space debris falling from the skies, crossing the road... we'd never get anything done and have a life of worry and anxiety.
I try to keep my worries to things I can control but that isn't always easy Sad Cry

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Quote from: 7up
radio waves?
Cells can repair themselves.. but what happens when the repair mechanism is hit and knackered? - and we wonder why cancers are going up exponentially? - Coincidence?

Where do you get your info that cancers are going up exponentially?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Two places:
1) My life experience. As a kid, cancer was rarely heard of. It's become more and more common over the last 15 or so years and now they reckon 1 in 3 people will suffer from it in their life times.
2) My partner (who is a trainee nurse studying cancer right now  Tongue )
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Yesterday I was at our CCG Board meeting and there was a paper presented to us by our Cancer Lead.
There is no 'exponential' increase in the UK. The two cancers that are increasing are melanoma and prostate.
Melanoma is increasing in the better off people in the UK for obvious reasons. Prostate cancer is increasing because we are living longer.
Radio waves do not come into it Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

As people live longer it seems logical that the older you get the more likely you are to end up with some disease or medical condition as you become more vulnerable to these things as you get older.
Add to that the points already made in previous posts and it's no surprise we hear a lot more about these conditions.
Other factors include more accurate diagnosis of the causes of death.
Oddly enough I agree with 7up regarding radio waves but have no rational explanation as to why unless it's a fear of something I do not understand ?
nanotm
Pro

given that a Doppler burst at close range will give you cancer I'm more inclined to think any and all EM has the potential to do so, maybe only when they come into contact with an already compromised cell, maybe they only do it in conjunction with some other contaminant but I know a bunch of us all had a full body cancer check before we went to play with so toys and a week later we got a check up again and 2 blokes had developed cancer out of 8, the only thing they did differently to the rest of us was they didn't eat tomatoes and beetroot ....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

Quote from: gleneagles
As people live longer it seems logical that the older you get the more likely you are to end up with some disease or medical condition as you become more vulnerable to these things as you get older.

That is the point mentioned by our Cancer Lead. There will be more reported cases of certain cancers purely because we live longer and there is better diagnostic checks. I specifically mentioned prostate and melanoma which show increases but for different reasons.
On a very positive note breast cancer survival rates are 95% if caught early enough.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

It can also be many more years later following detailed research that we discover the cause of something, for example no one knew about the long term danger of radiation until many servicemen who were required to watch atom bomb tests discovered years later they suffered from various cancers.
I Think there are certain parts of the UK where your risk might be slightly higher due to radioactivity in the rocks
WTF
Grafter

They ought to have known about it before then .. like ever since it killed Marie Currie  Roll eyes
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

@WTF, I see what you were saying Marie Curie (1866-1934)

Her big claim to fame was the discovery of two new elements:

• Polonium

• Radium

Shocked  I must admit that I did not know she discovered them.  Embarrassed  Embarrassed