cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you wish you hadn't done that?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Do you wish you hadn't done that?

Do you you do something, knowing full well its the wrong thing to do, but do it anyway...

I was oven cooking some butcher supplied chicken breasts, these are not those miniature things you can get in supermarkets, these would make a small turkey look envious, one will easily feed two people. Coated in a beaten Knorr Chicken Stock Pot (never tried it, you should its delicious)

But I digress; the chicken in its foil tent was placed in the oven. At the end of the cooking time, I donned the oven glove and removed the baking tray from the oven.

I one artistic fluid motion, the tray was removed and the oven rack pushed back into the oven.

For an eternity, time seemed to stand still, I looked down at the un-gloved hand that had pushed in the oven rack, admiring the vivid red burn marks left by the very hot rack on the fingers. Then realisation of what I had done set in, Dropping the tray and cooked chicken, I fled for the nearest cold water tap, to run cold water over my throbbing fingers.  

The really sad thing is, I've done this before, and I will probably do it again...

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
5 REPLIES
RobPN
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Do you wish you hadn't done that?

Ouch!

Some oven shelves can be pushed back in just by gently closing the door(s) if they haven't been pulled fully out.  I know that's possible with our old (probably 40+ years) gas oven,

Luzern
Seasoned Pro

Probably as often as I have wished some other father or mother hadn't done something.Roll eyesFunny

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Mayfly
Pro
Fixes: 1

I did something similar yesterday. Got the tray out of the oven, placed it next to hob, realised 30 seconds later the tray was over hanging the ring I wanted and pushed it aside with my bear hand. Ran to the freezer got the bag of ice cubes out and held them against the burn for a couple of minutes. No sting, no mark, no blistering.

Infinity
Seasoned Pro

I wish I hadn't done that.....

Standing in front of fan assisted oven door after cooking whilst opening it !!

A blast of very hot air !

I've learnt to stand to one side whilst opening oven door, for a few seconds, especially in this HOT weather.

And, we use special oven gloves with fingers, so much safer.

Fixes: 123

@Infinity wrote:

I wish I hadn't done that.....

Standing in front of fan assisted oven door after cooking whilst opening it !!

I usually have my glasses on during cooking and when I open the oven door, my glasses instantly steam up and I can't see inside the oven or anything else for that matter.

I then have to wait a few second until they clear then open the oven while standing to one side to access the tray of food.

Customer and Forum Moderator.

To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine