Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you wish you hadn't done that?

petlew
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Do you wish you hadn't done that?

Do you you do something, knowing full well its the wrong thing to do, but do it anyway...

I was oven cooking some butcher supplied chicken breasts, these are not those miniature things you can get in supermarkets, these would make a small turkey look envious, one will easily feed two people. Coated in a beaten Knorr Chicken Stock Pot (never tried it, you should its delicious)

But I digress; the chicken in its foil tent was placed in the oven. At the end of the cooking time, I donned the oven glove and removed the baking tray from the oven.

I one artistic fluid motion, the tray was removed and the oven rack pushed back into the oven.

For an eternity, time seemed to stand still, I looked down at the un-gloved hand that had pushed in the oven rack, admiring the vivid red burn marks left by the very hot rack on the fingers. Then realisation of what I had done set in, Dropping the tray and cooked chicken, I fled for the nearest cold water tap, to run cold water over my throbbing fingers.  

The really sad thing is, I've done this before, and I will probably do it again...

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
47 REPLIES 47
RobPN
Hero
Fixes: 5

Re: Do you wish you hadn't done that?

Ouch!

Some oven shelves can be pushed back in just by gently closing the door(s) if they haven't been pulled fully out.  I know that's possible with our old (probably 40+ years) gas oven,

Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

Probably as often as I have wished some other father or mother hadn't done something.Roll_eyesFunny

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Mayfly
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 1

I did something similar yesterday. Got the tray out of the oven, placed it next to hob, realised 30 seconds later the tray was over hanging the ring I wanted and pushed it aside with my bear hand. Ran to the freezer got the bag of ice cubes out and held them against the burn for a couple of minutes. No sting, no mark, no blistering.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I wish I hadn't done that.....

Standing in front of fan assisted oven door after cooking whilst opening it !!

A blast of very hot air !

I've learnt to stand to one side whilst opening oven door, for a few seconds, especially in this HOT weather.

And, we use special oven gloves with fingers, so much safer.

Strat
Fixes: 506

@Anonymous wrote:

I wish I hadn't done that.....

Standing in front of fan assisted oven door after cooking whilst opening it !!

I usually have my glasses on during cooking and when I open the oven door, my glasses instantly steam up and I can't see inside the oven or anything else for that matter.

I then have to wait a few second until they clear then open the oven while standing to one side to access the tray of food.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 88.0.1 (64-bit)

Mrg1981
Grafter

I'm going to revive another old thread......

Well obviously I think similar thought every Monday at about 7.40 and realise where I.

But not so long ago I had issues with seriously slow running drainage in my flat. And after having the plumber out pouring some serious chemicals down thereI thought it just needed a more sustained attack. So bought some caustic soda to pour down all the plug holes and repeat a few times over a week. All good in the kitchen, flushed it through. Fine in the bathroom sink. And seemed fine in the bath until I flushed it away and black stains started to develop on the plughole!!!!!!!

ARGH

Oh well, if the landlord asks it was when the plumber put the nasty stuff down the kitchen it must have washed back into the bath, yep, that's what happened......

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

After taking out a old glass shower screen, I thought it would be a good idea to smash it up and then put the bits of broken glass into a bucket before taking it to the tip later. 

Great idea?

Well it would have been had it not been toughened glass, as it shattered into hundreds if not thousands of tiny pieces all over my gravelled drive and it took like forever to pick them all up.

What an idiot. Crazy2

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@Mrg1981 

You've obviously never take out old waste pipes, neither by the sound of had your landlord. Wink

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

Last place we lived had a very small back garden, next door neighbour found a 'twig' with a bit of root attached in the local park  and planted it in their back garden.

Just before we moved the thing must have reached 40 - 50 feet in height, could not believe a tree could grow so fast, not sure if it's still there all these years later but will  cost a fortune to get it cut down + roots removed which must be well under the house foundations by now.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Probably the most stupid thing I've ever done was to put my finger in the anode connector hole of a CRT tube. It was quite impressive actually, it threw me back 10 or more feet across the floor. Being 10 at the time I allowed to be stupid, but a lesson I have never forgotten to this day.

twocvbloke
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I've had a CRT discharge itself across my chest, not sure if I survived or not though... Crazy

ffox
Pro

I find one of the problems of old age is colliding with things that I know are there.  Before we had a big shed we kept the ladder on the garage floor - the car wheels went each side of it.  I would like a pound for the number of times I tripped and nearly fell over that ladder even after the passage of years!

Also not quite missing a fixture when moving glass and china whilst looking elsewhere. Crash, then dustpan and brush. I wish I hadn't not looked in every case, but I don't learn. Sad

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@gleneagles 

When we bought our our present place there were two large trees growing in what was also a very small garden. They were pretty much at the top of my list to have taken down by a professional (which we eventually did) but in the interim, our next door neighbour mentioned that he was worried about 'our' drains being damaged by their roots as they were so close to the house, and "what are you going to do about them".

Well it cost me something like £200 to have them taken down, and guess who planted them. Turned this same neighbour did as they owned the house before the couple we bought it from and, he then had the cheek to admit he planted them!

Did they contribute to the cost of taking them down? Not on your nelly.

As an aside, we had actually moved from a house some twenty years earlier because our back garden on three sides was literally surrounded and encircled by ever growing leylandii trees.

Something else to blame the 70s for, along with awful wallpaper... and Habitat.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@twocvbloke 

Yep, and it hurts!

I once touched the CRT cap on a live television - don't ask me why, but the shock ran down my bent arm and onto the chassis leaving me with a nice little scorch mark on my elbow.