Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you understand Google Search?

Tsonga
Grafter

Do you understand Google Search?

Hello!
I'm just a bit baffled at the moment about search results in Google. I google my name regularly to see how I am doing in terms of self-promotion (work-related; in my line of work Google search results work as a virtual cv). If I google my name with inverted commas, I will get normally around 220 results. Half of the time about 50% of these are displayed, but the rest of the time I get something between 62 and 67 displays, which looks a bit meagre.
Just wondering if anyone knows why there are such huge variations in displayed results for identical searches. Cheers!  Smiley
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Do you understand Google Search?

Hmm. interesting question....  so thought I would give my name a try
with " either side"....... 490 results.....
without " ........11.900 results....
In both cases... the first couple of pages return pretty much the same results.... some of which do not refer to me at all !!
Tsonga
Grafter

That's a bit strange... At least mine do actually refer to me, but then I have an unusual name...
I get 132,000 results without "those", but only 229 with (although I get 668 if I click on ' repeat the search with the omitted results included'.)
You get 11.900 results without "those", and 490 with!
I just don't get it... It all seems incredibly random... Smiley
David_W
Rising Star

Google will sometimes dismiss same type results, for instance, if your name appears 100 times on a forum, they may only display 1 (or 2) rather than 100, at the end you can repeat the search and Google will stick in the ones it removed.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

without the " Google does a search on each word, so "John Fred Blogs" is one search, John Fred Blogs is three
Community Veteran

When you perform a search, it gets offloaded to a whole bunch of other machines in the split second it's searching.
It may hand off to different 'sections' of the cluster, which may have different indexes (or more/less up to date) or they may only be a partial index, thus the disparity in responses.
Nothing to worry about, move along Wink
B.
Tsonga
Grafter

Quote from: Barry
Nothing to worry about, move along Wink

LOL, easier said than done, 65 results makes me look like a slacker...  Wink