Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you tip?

shalom2010
Grafter

Do you tip?

Perhaps I should have done a poll?
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/ultimate-tipping-guide-163415620.html
Interesting article. My brother tips, but I must admit it's rare for me (I guess I'm mean!) - but if the service is outstanding I may give a little extra & say 'keep the change' Smiley
35 REPLIES
James
Grafter

Re: Do you tip?

I normally tip 10% unless the service is poor.
Fixes: 47

It can depend on circumstances but not as a rule.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
JamesM
Grafter

I don't tip because society says I have to. All right, if someone deserves a tip, if they really put forth an effort, I'll give them something a little something extra. But this tipping automatically, it's for the birds. As far as I'm concerned, they're just doing their job.
Fixes: 125

I always tip my hairdresser.
I hate when I see on a restaurant bill that a service charge is included - I tend to feel that is very arrogant of them Angry
Otherwise I tip based on how I feel the service has been and if I do it's usually within the 10% range..
Taxis: I tend to round the fare up to the nearest couple of quid above what they are asking.
Edit: I wonder if anyone has ever challenged the added service charge and had it removed if they felt that the service they received was dire Undecided

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

I tip in restaurants, normally 10-15%.  I also tip the barber and taxi drivers particularly if it's someone I use on a regular basis. My paperboy also gets a £5 Christmas tip.

When I think back to the 70's I seem to remember my parents tipping the milkman, postman and binmen every Christmas.
Definitely don't tip the latter two these days and haven't had a milkman for, I think, 30 years.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I used to tip the barber but since investing in the electric shear things myself (£30 - paid for in 3 hair cuts) and training the missus to do it I've saved a bloomin fortune  Cheesy
I used to do a job where I got tips, on a good day I could make £10 in tips a day. The best day I had was a sunday where I made £17 in tips lol. The job didn't last though due to health problems.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!

Between the ages of about 75 and 82 my dad used to work at the taxi rank by the local shopping centre. He didn't get much in the way of pay but he made a fortune on tips after helping people with their babies and shopping. He also collected enough money from the £1 trollies left behind (as part of the tip) to pay his annual Council Tax Cheesy

Fixes: 47

On the subject of Christmas tips I give one to the window cleaner because he's reasonable, very cheerful and does a good job.
The postman often delivery my stuff to the wrong address so he gets nothing.
I can remember a time when bin men collected your bin from wherever it was kept, emptied it and returned it where they found it.....and no wheels. Now it's getting to the point where we are practically emptying the bin ourselves. They get nothing.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
shalom2010
Grafter

Quote from: Sprite
I used to tip the barber but since investing in the electric shear things myself (£30 - paid for in 3 hair cuts) and training the missus to do it I've saved a bloomin fortune  Cheesy

I've cut my own hair for the past 30 years with a 50 pence cutter I got from a market stall in the 70's!!! Just replace the razor blades every few years. It has a trim, cut, groom & shave settings. It's called 'The Original Quiz (Safety Hair cutter).
Community Veteran

I wouldn't trust myself to cut my own hair lol. If you cut yours you're a very brave man!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I do tip to most people who do work for me, restaurants etc. But, I've stopped tipping the binmen, there are so many of them and ever changing these days with three different crews that call here it would get quite expensive.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: Strat
I can remember a time when bin men collected your bin from wherever it was kept, emptied it and returned it where they found it.....and no wheels. Now it's getting to the point where we are practically emptying the bin ourselves. They get nothing.
Me too and not only that...Now once your bin gets emptied you have to go fetch It half a mile down the road ( sometimes )
Community Veteran

Don't get me started on the bin men lol. Round here they're the laziest bunch on the planet.
Local council recently sent us a letter demanding we put our bin on the edge of the property for collection instead of where it's always lived. Ignored. They've collected from the current location every other week without us ever asking so why is it now a problem? - We ignored the letter and they still continue to collect the stuff anyway lol. Serves them right for taking the boot carpet from the car which was out there drying...