cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you tip...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Do you tip...

Do you tip your bin-men at this time of year? personally I always do, and at other times during the year as well if I've got a particularly overflowing load to remove. The discreet passing of folding cash works wonders I find, and may do much to relieve the alleged tensions between bin-men and "customers" sometimes. I know it shouldn't really be "necessary" but personally I don't have a problem with it. I don't tip postmen anymore, nothing to do with their strikes, just that we seem to have a different postman every week round here.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
36 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: Do you tip...

No I don't but then I come from a generation where the bin men did all their own work.
These days you have to carefully position the bin so it's easy for them to wheel a couple of yards to the automated emptying system on the back of the lorry. They then dump it 1 or two doors away so you have to go and fetch it and return it to it's home.
As for postmen. I regularly get letters addressed to people three or four streets away so I'm doing some of their work also.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Lurker
Grafter

Our bin men spent most of the year on strike, and even though they are officially back at work now, we've not had a collection for 3 weeks now. (Undoubtedly the binmen have been re-deployed to driver gritters/snowploughs at the minute)
So unsurprisingly they aren't going to get a tip from me.
Also, they used to collect tips on boxing day - but they have the day off now, so tough luck...
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Strangely no I've never done it myself. I always tip at restaurants though and I've always tipped the folk who do my hair too. I knew someone else years ago who'd leave all sorts of random tips for their dustmen, cash, fags, booze the lot lol. Needless to say they never had anything left behind!
I did think about sending the postman a tip this year C/O our address.. didn't get chance though.. the snow and ice and stuff has made life a bit difficult recently. Maybe I'll send him a new years card if I get chance. In fairness our local postie has always been one of the good ones and its very rare for us to get a wrong letter through the door. Always smiles and says good morning etc... a dying breed!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

This is quite a revelation, I had no idea, we must have the best bin-men in the country, they're almost always on time, haven't been on strike in this area in living memory (fingers heavily crossed) take away over-flows and other debris without question (more crossing of fingers, but the tips probably help!) very carefully pick up droppage's after them and. are mostly always cheerful (to me anyway)
PS. today (Thursday) is our regular day, the preceding recycle guy's have been (who don't get tipped) the main bin-men if on time will be here by midday, but I'm expecting them to be late under the circumstances.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

11:57 bang on time! and the guy's have emptied our bin, picked up a few extra bits, not to mention the folding cash as well.

Fixes: 47

I imagine the folk in Leeds are falling over themselves to reward their bin men for their service this year. Roll eyes
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
jmd
Grafter

No - I do not tip binmen/post/etc
Community Veteran

We don't generally tip such people, but there was one exception when my mother and I ordered a huge desk (made up of four separate modules) from Argos to be delivered one Saturday morning. It was all flatpacked, so rather than being delivered by an Argos lorry (with two personnel) it just arrived by a standard courier-type-service with a single driver. Thing is, whilst each individual flatpack box could be carried by a single person, there were many of them and we live on the second floor with no such thing as lifts. End result was that the poor guy had to lug about 100kg of furniture up two flights of stairs, so we figured he deserved a bit of extra pocket money!
(You could of course argue that we should've just helped him instead, but the whole point of paying to have it delivered rather than picking it up from our local Argos store was so we didn't have to, as I'm not exactly burly and my mother obviously couldn't be expected to do any heavy lifting.)
Fixes: 125

We tip the postman as he has been really great to my elderly parents before my wife and I moved in with them. Knowing how much isn't easy but we settled on a fiver. If just 20 on his round gave the same then that's a £100 tax-free bonusSmiley
I know how hard they can work at this time of year particularly as I did the job myself many moons ago (probably changed a bit since then, though).
I'd never tip the bin men anymore (by the way - have never seen a bin lady yet). I remember years ago we had two of the old heavy metal bins (one often full of ash and cinders) and (two at a time) they would open the gate, walk up the path, put each bin over their shoulder and then return it to the exact same spot. Any extra like old furniture we'd leave some cash (back then 50p was a lot, sometimes a pound or more) and it was taken with no questions.
In a restaurant I will only tip if the bill states that gratuities not included and then only if the service has been good.
As with Thomas someone who has delivered above and beyond expectation deserves a tip. Often it's running in the 3:30 at Haydock Wink Cheesy

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

I haven't tipped the bin men recently, but when the Tesco delivery made it (and on time as well) last Friday in the snow, I did give them something. Especially since I know they were given the option as to whether or not they wanted to take the van out  Cool
pierre_pierre
Grafter

i would tip the Bloke on the radio this morning playing carols, especially the one on the trombone, if I knew who it was  Cool Cool
Community Veteran

Radio stations often have playlists on their website telling you what they've aired for the last week or so – could be worth a look.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

As I am on a "limited income", and Christmas is about "family", the binmen, and anyone else, don`t get a look-in on my meagre wallet contents. !  (no I am not related to Scrooge !)...  Shocked

(by the way - have never seen a bin lady yet).

Yes, we have a bin lady driver.... and also one local Skip Company who deal with the massive skips at the local tip, has a female driver.... Blonde hair, make-up, and steel toe-cap boots !... (not bad looking, except for the boots ! ! ) Roll eyes
Community Veteran

Thanks Pierre  Grin  The cheque's in the post.  I hope we played your favourite.  Wink
John