Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you think this is wrong?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Do you think this is wrong?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39099574

The person in question has obviously made efforts to "legalise" her place and right to live in the U.K.

Not knowing the original situation... i.e. possible illegal immigrant........ over stayer on student visa... whatever... before her marriage,... (or even afterwards)... She has, it appears, made a home and a family, her husband is not well, and she says she is needed to care for him...

(without her care.... he will probably require state assistance, possibly re-homing in a council funded care home... bringing more costs to the taxpayer than is necessary, when this woman could be given "leave to remain"... and no cost to the country, and no risk to the security of the country...)

Are the immigration authorities being heavy handed on someone who is not likely to "fight back".. i.e. an "easy target".. just to keep the numbers up...

It certanly seems that way to me....

A Home Office spokesman said: "All applications for leave to remain in the UK are considered on their individual merits and in line with the immigration rules.

"We expect those with no legal right to remain in the country to leave."

unquote

What "individual merit" is this woman lacking so much of, that she MUST be deported Huh?? 

Obviously, having a family, and being a "principle carer" were not high enough on the list of "individual merits"..

ok..

whatever your thoughts... ... it certainly doesn`t agree with what the Immigration Authorities did about Abu Hamzaa... ( hook man)...  or many other illegals..who just seem to "disappear" after being caught working for a turkish/indian/pakistani/chinese/whatever restaurant... or working in the fields of East Anglia.... etc.

14 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: Do you think this is wrong?

Short answer - yes!

From other reports I gather she had technically "invalidated" her right to stay in the UK because she had to return to Singapore to look after her frail parents.

Some jobsworth is applying the rules too strictly methinks!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

This is a very unusual situation as she has lived here for 27 years so in this case they are being heavy handed.

However the situation regarding those people who are illegally here is in a mess. It is a problem that should have been addressed years ago.

As I see it there are three main groups, those who are here and granted citizenship, students and others with a temporary right to be here and those illegally here.

Anyone found to be illegally here should be arrested an deported without recourse to appeals unless they have lived here for more than 5 years and are currently applying for citizenship.

Anyone who has citizenship granted could have it withdrawn and be deported following serious criminal activity such as murder, major drug dealing, etc.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

And if you consider this to be a wrong decision what about the thousands of children, who were british citizens from poor families or in the care system who were sent abroad between 1945 to 1974 ?

An estimated 7,000 to 10,000 whose lives were changed for ever and often not for the good.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

there seems to be some conflicting information about this person.
the BBC reports that it is understood she "has spent the majority of her life, and her married life, living in Singapore."

yet apparently was given "indefinite leave to remain in the UK after her marriage".
and "made repeated attempts - both in Singapore and in the UK - to re-apply for permission to live with her husband."

so this clearly hasn't "snuck up" on here. she clearly knew the situation.

the rules of her leave were pretty clear

A Returning Resident visa is required to come back to live in the UK if a person given indefinite leave to enter or remain loses their documents or is away for more than two years

An application must demonstrate a person has strong family ties to the UK, has lived in the UK most of their life, their current circumstances and why they have lived outside the UK

Ruling does not apply if an applicant has a spouse or partner who is a member of the UK armed forces and joins them overseas
Community Veteran

A bit wordy but...   section marked "Returning residents"

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/immigration-rules/immigration-rules-part-1-leave-to-enter-or-stay-in-the...

18A. Those who qualify for admission to the United Kingdom as returning residents in accordance with paragraph 18 do not need a visa to enter the UK.

19. A person who does not benefit from the preceding paragraph by reason only of having been away from the United Kingdom too long may nevertheless be admitted as a returning resident if, for example, he has lived here for most of his life.

I would have thought that this person qualified under this rule.

Community Veteran

but the person hasn't lived in the UK most of their life.
the report says person has lived majority of life in singapore (even whilst married).
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

not according to the BBC report quoted above

BBC reports that it is understood she "has spent the majority of her life, and her married life, living in Singapore."

Community Veteran

The one I saw said that she had only returned for a period of over just two years (that's all) to care for elderly parents. Most of her life had been with her family in the UK.

The whole of these rules seems ultimately to be at someone's discretion. That's not a good place to be when someone has the right to decide. Should be rule-based to avoid doubt..

Community Veteran

as i said, conflicting information.
there will definitely be more to this than what the public sees (and what angle each news channel decides to go down).

i agree it should be entirely rule based - no sob stories should be taken into consideration.
and it appears in this instance the rules would agree with what the outcome has been.
Jonpe
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

I don't understand why she hasn't simply become a British citizen.  Singapore has a reputation for being strict on immigration so I don't expect any of us would have fared any better there. Here is another case: https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jan/14/dutchwoman-resident-in-uk-for-30-years-may-have-to-... (Mr Goodwill Smiley the immigration minister, sounds more like the customer service person who makes a minimal payment to customers after giving poor service.)

I think we should start by deporting those who commit crimes in this country.

Community Veteran

Jonpe wrote:

I think we should start by deporting those who commit crimes in this country.

we do.
once they have served their time, they are deported back to their own country.

Jonpe
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

@chenks76  Unless it's against their human rights, which seems to be the case in almost every instance.

Community Veteran

and you've investigated every single instance?
Minivanman
Hero

Rules are rules but some need to be applied with a bit of common sense as on the face of it, it does seem a bit daft although I wonder what the reverse situation would be in Singapore? This is the pickle we get ourselves in when one country is strict and illiberal and another is not - which would be us of course.

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.