Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you think the government will...

Fixes: 125

Do you think the government will...

raise the speed limit to 80?
Ministers to consult on 80mph motorway speed limit
It says advances in technology have made cars much safer, contributing to a drop of more than 75% in the number of people killed on British roads since the 70mph limit was introduced.

Cars are definitely much safer with shorter stopping disances but that doesn't help when so many tail-gate.
The Department for Transport says as many as 49% of drivers flout the current 70mph limit.

Wouldn't the same 49% carry on flouting?
"Increasing the motorway speed limit to 80mph would generate economic benefits of hundreds of millions of pounds through shorter journey times."

And quite a fair bit for the treasury from higher fuel consumption, therefore, more tax.
Raising the limit doesn't mean you have to drive that fast but, probably, many will. I would, not ncessearily to get there faster but just because I can.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

62 REPLIES
nadger
Rising Star

Re: Do you think the government will...

A great many drivers break the current 70mph limit and would continue to break a new 80mph limit - possibly because they drive company vehicles and aren't paying for fuel they use.
Being towards the end of my driving life I'm happy to stay within 70mph limit especially as to do so is more economical - it's also less stressful  Smiley
Community Veteran

I don't think it will affect those that drive over the limit now - they'll just drive over the new limit.  It's worth a trial to see how it works.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I agree with artmo, it's worth a trial just to see how well or badly it works. Unless its tried out, there is no way us knowing how well this will work.
I also think that only certain types of cars should be allowed to go faster such as those with higher rated brakes, under a certain age (eg where things haven't started rusting away yet) and only in the third lane.
To be honest, I'm not even sure 80mph will make much difference. I think 90 would be friendlier to a lot of motorists who lets face it drive at that speed up and down the motorways every day anyway. If we had an ABSOLUTE limit of 90 with little tolerance then I think the large majority of motorway drivers would be in agreement.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Quote from: Mav
Ministers to consult on 80mph motorway speed limit
It says advances in technology have made cars much safer, contributing to a drop of more than 75% in the number of people killed on British roads since the 70mph limit was introduced.

So we need to increase the kill ratio back to 1965 levels.
Surely, the tories should bring back drink driving too?
The lunatics have taken over the asylum

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

The underlying message is that speed is just one factor there are a lot of other bad driving practices which should be dealt with.  Smiley
Lets get speed demoted from being the main issue and look at road manners, as Mav says tailgating is a main issue  Angry
I have a pet grumble about people who don't seem to realise that the speed limit on single carriageway roads is 60 not 50 but I don't tailgate  Roll eyes
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra

I also think that only certain types of cars should be allowed to go faster such as those with higher rated brakes, under a certain age (eg where things haven't started rusting away yet) and only in the third lane.

How about taking this a step further and having a compulsory motorway test for those wishing to drive between 70 & 90. Perhaps an 'M' sticker could be placed on the front and rear windscreens to indicate the drivers allowance. Probably totally unworkable - but an idea Cool

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Community Veteran

I don't think it would be very practical to have different limits for different types of cars on motorways.  Make the speed limit 80mph and see how it works in a year's time.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

It was just an idea and with all the ANPR and average speed check cameras out there it wouldn't take much to enforce a lookup on each vehicle as it goes past. Admittedly age isn't always an issue.. you could have a 50 year old car thats in stunning condition and perfectly safe and a 5 year old car thats been ragged senseless and a death trap. I do realise that.. all I'm saying is that cars that are going to go at these new higher speeds should perhaps be subject to some sort of approval maybe. Perhaps a modification to the MOT test could determine the cars suitability.
Also I gotta agree with Peter.. drivers who drive slower than the speed limit infuriate me. In a 60 zone and they'll do 40 - 45 max.. and then hit a 30 and they'll carry on at the same speed. Pointless and annoying.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
pierre_pierre
Grafter

different types of trucks have different speed limits on motorways, up to 7.5 tonne = 70 MPH  over 7.5 tonne 56 MPH
http://www.smartdriving.co.uk/Driving/DefensiveDriving/Speed/UK_Speed_limits.html
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Since speed is not a factor in deaths (due to excellent cars), it is obvious that 30mph limits should be increased to 40 mph.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I think standards have fallen since traffic officers started patrolling the motorways, it shouldn't have but I think the opportunity has been taken to reduce the number of police patrols. I respect the police officers for the professional drivers they are, and they can and used to pull up drivers for bad driving not just speed.  Smiley
I think we have too much reliance of technical "gizmos" and speed related ones in  particular when drivers should be instead toughs to drive defensively and with consideration.  Roll eyes
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran

Fox, i have often thought a lot of 30mph limits are too low.  perhaps you've got something there.

A maximum speed of 20mph should be adhered to around schools.. In my village drivers pass through at 50 or even greater - madness.

pierre_pierre
Grafter

an article dated May 23rd 2011 about the 80 limit  http://www.navmanwireless.co.uk/blog/?p=14
also comments on the over 7.5 tonne truck. -  legal limited to 56 MPH(90 Kn/H)  when the road limit is 60