cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you still wish for faster?

Fixes: 124

Do you still wish for faster?

Really aimed at those who have upgraded to FTTC.
Once you have got used to the new speeds to you ever find you wish you could get even faster speeds because there is still a wait involved for a large download?
Just curious Undecided

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

11 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: Do you still wish for faster?

I'm on normal BB with about 5-6Mb and I gotta be honest it doesn't worry me much to be honest. I could easily live with a dongle. Having used dialup for years while everyone else was using BB, I'm just grateful to have a useable connection.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Faster means if you have a large family and all are online at the same time, then you get less issues as far as watching streams/playing games.  With the way TV and on demand is being pushed online this will just get worse.
With the lack of freeviews quality of reception in Inverness, I personally see freeview going the way of betamax, it will be superseded with online content e.g. TVcatchup is streaming freeview content online which I use the most to watch Live TV and then 4OD/Iplayer/STV-ITV player/5player for anything I missed.
So on my current 4.5 too 5mbit connection I can watch streams in HD well enough, but for a big family they would need 5mbit per viewing device plus some over heads if all watch streams online to Not interfere with what everyone else is watching in the household.  Then you add in gaming and it gets tricky as online games are too sensitive to spikes on the home network.
Also factor in the router/modem, the PN cheap and nasty is ok but overload it and expect router lockups as the hardware it is made of can't cope.
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
Community Veteran

I've had 5-6Mb for the past 5 years or so. I learned to adapt and my stepson knew not to mess about too much on the internet when I was trying to work.
At the start of this year we moved to Plusnet FTTC and got an initial download speed of 72Mb/s (now around 65Mb)
We've not really changed our habits although my stepson can now watch his youtube stuff when I'm working. I'd say anything 30Mb/s + is more than adequate for everyday use.
I probably use 100% of my speed 1% of the time (if that !)
Community Veteran

I'm happy with mine.  Currently running at 71/20 and to be honest, for the moment that's fast enough.
Community Veteran

Having sat down and worked out how much even the pilot light on my gas water heater costs every week, never mind the "luxury" of monthly water costs, I'm hoping that with the competition hotting up over unlimited packages that the price will soon come down.
Razer
Grafter

Do those who have FTTC want faster? Hell, I'd like FTTC first.
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

It's hard to find servers who can keep up with me.  Cheesy

DaveyH
Pro
Fixes: 7

I get a pretty consistent 75/19.5
D/loading doesn't bother us so much, but with 5 of us in the house, being able to stream music, movies, catch up TV, Skype, gaming and general surfing etc etc, on various devices simultaneously is where it counts and something we could never done on our old ADSL connection
So more than happy with the speeds we're getting.
Roberto0151
Grafter

I'd rather like something better than download speeds that are  around 1400 kbps, dropping occasionally to abt 500 kbps for no apparent reason. Sad
St3
All Star
Fixes: 2

For me the above speed is fine, altho sometimes my missus says while im gaming her streaming is affected but all in all we are happy. In my home all we use the net for is gaming and surfing/streaming.
Win 10
i7 7700k
GTX 970
kmilburn
Grafter

I'm happy with my 75/16 for now,  but if FTTP at 330+mbps was available at a reasonable price,  I'd probably go for it.
For me,  when I want to download something I want it ASAP,  being able to download a 4GB ISO image in ~9 minutes is very nice compared to the 2+ hours it used to take.
The primary problem with the faster speed is not being able to utilise them fully on wireless (for now),  and the servers at the other end being slow.