cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you read books ?

WTF
Grafter

Re: Do you read books ?

I always have at least one book on the go - and always a dead tree type as they usually come from charity stores (where they all end up, too).
Have to say, I don't get through as many as I used to as tech tends to eat up a lot of what was my reading time, though I usually need to read a few pages before turning out the light at night.
I actually can't imagine not reading books - I feel distinctly uncomfortable if I don't have at least a couple queued up ready to go.  My missus, on the other hand, hardly reads at all - except for work.
Very strange.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Quote from: WTF
My missus, on the other hand, hardly reads at all - except for work.

Snap!! when we first got together she couldn't understand my love of reading in bed, after forty years this year only really tolerates it. At least with the Paperwhite I don't need to have the light on.
Eldest (step) son is like his Mum, I don't think I've ever known him to finish a book, or start that many come to that. If he ever had one around he never referred to it by the title but as a "reading book".
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Fixes: 352

My daughter is an avid reader.
She can get through a few within a week. She's really into things like True Blood, Vampire Diaries and such. She always asks for books from me for Christmas so she usually ends up with quite a few each year.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 11

Quote from: 7up
Urgh instruction manuals bore me. I prefer to get on with it.. get whatever it is working through guess work and then read the manual bit by bit another time to figure out anything else I might have missed  :crazy:
Must admit I tend to read the instructions after assembling furniture or similar items, of course it does not help when they are written in Chinese or even in English when the words are in the wrong place and have no meaning.
Fixes: 352

The last few manuals I've seen including for my wife and daughter's bikes had no written instructions at all - just diagrams which frequently bared no resemblance to what was in front of us Cheesy

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

WTF
Grafter

Quote from: gleneagles
assembling furniture or similar items, of course it does not help when they are written in Chinese or even in English when the words are in the wrong place and have no meaning

I once bought some bedroom furniture - bed, bedside tables, 3m wardrobe, vanity unit - from Belgium.  The complete instructions read - in Flemish - "Assemble first then hang doors".
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

To your Question:
Do you read books ?

No
DaveyH
All Star

Haven't read a book since I left school. I do listen to audio books though.
Community Veteran

Perhaps I should have read more books when I was at school ! (Other than Biggles, by W E Johns) Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I've written a few books some fiction and some reference. With fiction it is great fun developing the plot of the story line and also developing the characters/actors in the story. An interesting side effect is I'm now very much more analytical about how other authors construct their books, particularly fiction. I find myself wondering why a character is introduced at a particular stage of a story and why scenes take place when they do. 
The plus side is, compared to before my author days, I really enjoy a well written book.
The negative is I'm rarely surprised at the outcome of books - I usually decide early in the book "who done it" or is the bad guy.
It's sad really that fewer people put the effort into reading books particularly children.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.