cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you read books ?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Do you read books ?

Seems like years since I read a paperback/hardback book although I sometimes use them just for reference such as a dictionary, car manual, photoshop manual or similar.
Of course I still read books but only on the Kindle,come to think of it I haven't bought a single magazine for years as the internet seems to have all the information I need.
Have your reading habits changed over the years ?
24 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Do you read books ?

If I'm shamefully honest I try to avoid them these days.
I do most of my reading online now instead. Not only is it free but also far more enjoyable as there is some technology involved. Paper is so old fashioned and boring!
A relative bought me a book recently, it really did fill me with dread!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Fixes: 47

In the past 3 years I have been bought hardback books for birthdays and I have thoroughly enjoyed them.
Normally these days I read on my Kindle but have let it slip of late when reaching the end of a series.
A few month ago I cancelled the subscription of my one and only magazine (PC Advisor) as I can get whatever info I need online.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Yes, I still read books... mostly secondhand ( I have a supply close to hand ! !).. manage to read one in about 2 weeks,... usually when waiting for "er indoors" when she is shopping...
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

regularly, I tend to bulk buy second hand books then read them as fast as possible before the kids so they cant ruin the story for me (because they just cant help themselves and being young they still don't understand the mystery of discovery for yourself is far better than jumping to the end and spoiling it)
I think I read on average 100 books a year (some of them are ebooks) and people don't even bother asking why I use the old fashioned two colour 3d glasses any more Smiley
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Haven't read a paper book (except for Homebrew books, just read one 5 min ago for a recipe  Wink) for about 3 years. Most of my books are read on my ereader (currently a Nook was a Sony).
Had to give up reading mags several years ago as I couldn't afford them anymore.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I'm a voracious reader, if its printed word I will read it, I even read the small print on corn flake packets.
Mostly Kindle Paperwhite these days, but some formats don't lend themselves to Kindle so well, text books and technical books with large amounts of illustrations, although Kindle is getting better at these days.
There's still a pleasure picking up a heavy tome that has been well printed on good quality art paper, even if it does make the wrists ache after a while.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Fixes: 125

The last book I read was a re-read of Animal Farm a few years ago.
Unless you count my OU study books Wink

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

RichAllen
Grafter

Not as much as I used to, many moons ago I went to the Library most weeks, and read a lot of Doctor Who books, which were always in the Children's section.
Fixes: 47

Quote from: Petlew
I'm a voracious reader, if its printed word I will read it....

I used to be like that.
If I went to someone's house and they had a new TV for example I would ask for the manual and sit reading it from cover to cover if given the chance.
I'm not quite so bad any more and will maybe only read a quarter plus the specs before handing it back.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
RichAllen
Grafter

Usually when I get a new game, I read the instruction booklet that comes with it (unless the game is second hand and doesn't come with one).
Community Veteran

Urgh instruction manuals bore me. I prefer to get on with it.. get whatever it is working through guess work and then read the manual bit by bit another time to figure out anything else I might have missed  Crazy
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

I read books, paper and on my phone. I love reading books from new authors.  A site i use is wattpad.  Brilliant site, you can write books yourself and publish on there too. Smiley Smiley Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I used to write instruction manuals for a company I worked for. Consequently I'm super-critical of very poor ones of which there are an abundance of these days.
Used to use the old fashioned cut and paste, literally cutting out bits of paper and glueing them onto a master sheet. We won a Crystal Clear award of which we were rather proud.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
nanotm
Pro

ahh the chingrish manuals oh the joys of figuring out what they mean..... actually my wife always understood them and laughs that I don't when often times I speak in a similar fashion to the way they are written (mixing up word orders) if more people were more tolerant of failings in translation they wouldn't be quite so upset about such inconsequential things :p
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you