cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you power nap - how long?

Fixes: 123

Do you power nap - how long?

Who, What, Why: How long is the ideal nap?
Referring to a 1995 study from NASA which he co-authored, NTSB member and fatigue expert Mark Rosekind said that a 26-minute nap would improve performance by 34% and alertness by 54%.
There was other supporting evidence that said naps of between 20 minutes and 30 minutes were beneficial, he said.

"What we recommend is that a nap is combined with a cup of coffee so you have some caffeine, and that takes about 20 minutes to kick in.
"Have a cup of coffee and get your head down. Done together it has a more powerful effect."

If you haven't had a wink of sleep the night before, then this tactic won't be enough to refresh you, says Mr Horne, but for those that have had merely a poor night's sleep, it will work.

I have to agree that much more than, say, 20 minutes and I wake feeling worse than before I fell asleep and I then take quite a while to 'come to'.
I have noticed that the older I get the more I feel the need to power nap  Embarrassed

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

8 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: Do you power nap - how long?

Almost invariably doze off weekdays just as the one O'clock news starts on BBC1 to awaken at 13:28 just in time for the weather forecast.
At this time of year I try not to early afternoon doze on weekends as I'm usually playing bowls later on and, I find it ruins my game if I've "slept" earlier. In theory it should improve it, not sure why it doesn't.
Curiously, I don't actually think I'm tired before a nap, more likely just bored with the news!
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Occasionally on warm sunny days I have been known to stretch out in the fields/garden and 'inspect the inside of the eyelids for wear and tear' duration 20-30 minutes, wouldn't call it a 'power nap'.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Its all your fault was watching one of my fill in junk time recordings of the Hairy Bikers and woke, up when the adverts came on at the end still as it was a recording, can go back and have another look
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I do find a 20-30 minute nap can be quite refreshing sometimes but only if its a light / temporary deep snooze.
What i call a 'power nap' is when you've had barely any sleep and you crash for 1 - 2 hours into a very deep sleep and then wake up feeling like you've crammed in a nights worth of sleeping into an hour or two.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

A 10-15 minute power nap is most beneficial and sets me up for the rest of the day Wink
Community Veteran

power nap, meh.  i just go to bed for a while.
hadden
Grafter

I read in the Metro the other day recently that parts of our brain already take little naps of their own while the rest of the brain stays awake. So perhaps we all do it more than we realise?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Often find I doze off for 15 -20 minutes after a meal or if there is something boring on TV which means I doze of a lot of the time.
If I am out in the fresh air I never feel the need for a nap.