cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you need a TV Licence?

pin2011
Grafter

Do you need a TV Licence?

I listened to a radio interview yesterday with a man who did not possess a TV so did not have a TV licence. The experts at TV licensing found no trace on their database of a current licence so sent him a snottogram demanding he obtain a TV licence or risk being given a hefty £1000 fine. As he explained to the interviewer when he had tried to contact TVL to inform them of his predicament he could not get through by phone. This episode was re-enacted on the program when a phone call was made to TVL and the options were given which led to another five options and eventually the option to speak to a person was greeted with the familiar ' ALL OUR CUSTOMER SERVICE persons are too busy at the moment  so ring back later. (Well something similar) Then a 'SPOKESPERSON from TVL came onto the program to apologise for the actions of TVL. Maybe TVL should give this man a refund for the TV licence he doesn't need??  Suggest they get rid of TVL and make the BBC compete with the other TV channels for money. Judging by the current TV  schedules on BBC of late it wouldn't be such a bad idea.
11 REPLIES
Shiner67
Dabbler

Re: Do you need a TV Licence?

Quite a lot of people don't realise that these days, you need a TV licence to view video content from the BBC Website (whether direct on the BBC Website or server from another site), as well as any content from BBC iPlayer.  It doesn't matter if you don't own a single TV in the house, but access any BBC Video content and you require a licence...
I wonder how many people realise that...
pierre_pierre
Grafter

welcome to the forum Shiner67
what you have said is not correct, you only need a licence to watch live broad cast on computer or TV, even via the internet. You dont need one to watch videos or Iplayer via the internet.
But - if you video/PVR has a tuner, they can get you - it can be difficult to prove you dont use the tuner
http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one
Shiner67
Dabbler

Oops, first post, first foopah !!
You are correct in that I should have said "live" (or simulcast) video that originates from the BBC organisation..
I stand corrected...
Regards
Chris
ps.  many thanks for the welcome
x47c
Grafter

I don't have a TV.
I get lots of letters - 1 every month approx containing various threats about not having one if I do indeed watch TV broadcasts.
So I've probably have 20-30 letters+ over the last 2+ years
They go in cycles working up to threats of extreme legal action, then they start the cycle again from the start.
They are addressed to the legal occupier as they have no idea who I am
All are ignored
Simple.
To confirm.
You need a TV licence if you watch or record for later use any from of live TV broadcast.
You do not need a licence for watching non live/time delayed broadcasts such as iplayer
By live I mean "as it is broadcast" not live in the sense of a "live as it is happening news now".
A licence requirement is not limited to a using TV but will also include any equipment such as mobile phones, video recorders etc which you use to view or record TV broadcasts.
It would also include a computer if it has a "TV card" in it used to receive TV broadcasts
I might also include over the internet viewing if the broadcast is a live stream direct from the BBC for example - I've no idea if such a thing even exists.
I have no idea of the rules in respect of TV's used away from home - in a caravan for instance
It is not an offense to merely be in possession of something capable of receiving a broadcast and you do not have to have a licence for it if you do not use it for receiving broadcasts.
(old TV stored in the loft for example).
There is no requirement in law for you who do not use a TV etc to receive TV broadcasts to inform/confirm to anyone that you do not use one.
nadger
Rising Star

Quote from: x47c
I have no idea of the rules in respect of TV's used away from home - in a caravan for instance
The rule used to be that they were covered by home licence provided they were battery powered and not connected to mains electric.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

you can get live broadcast from the BBC via there web site,

the latest I looked at said that the Home licence doesnt cover 2nd Holiday homes, it did not mention own batteries
pierre_pierre
Grafter

second home rule  http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/for-your-home/second-home-aud8/
to long to post

the student rule  from the TVLA site
Your parents' TV Licence will not cover you while you are away at university unless you only use a device that's powered solely by its own internal batteries. You must not plug it into the mains when using it to receive TV.

You need a TV Licence if...
You watch or record television programmes as they're being shown on TV - online, on a TV, or on any device (even a laptop)
This is the case whatever device you use – whether a laptop, PC, mobile phone, games console, digital box, VHS/DVD recorder or anything else. It also includes programmes you watch online at the same time as they’re being shown on TV, for example live sport. (However, if your mobile device isn’t plugged in, you’ll still be covered by your parents’ licence.)

You don’t need a TV Licence if
You don’t watch or record television programmes as they’re being shown on TV – on any device

If you don’t watch or record television programmes, or you only stream TV programmes online after they’ve been broadcast – through on-demand services like YouTube, BBC iPlayer and 4oD – you don’t need to be covered by a
TV Licence.
nadger
Rising Star

@p_p - I've used BBC site for live transmissions and it asks you to confirm that you have a TV licence.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

from my previous link it seems your home licence covers boats, mobile homes and vehicles, but not fixed mobiles
dont use Iplayer to watch live as I have a freeview TV, Freeview twin tune PVR and Freesat Twin Tune PVR  so can get five live over the air, lucky I dont need a licence for all five (Yet)
nadger
Rising Star

I've always assumed that one could use usb tuner in laptop running off it's battery.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

probably can - if you can find it in the rules