cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you miss..

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Do you miss..

British Rail and Netwok SouthEast? - You may not but it seems that the TV people do and it seems they're trying to ensure you see British Rail whatever you watch!
BBC Iplayer Radio.. using an old BR electric slammer on its adverts. Ok not in the red white and blue livery but the previous navy blue and the BR / NSE seat covers:
BR seats and covers that were from the start of NSE - This is clearly old BR rolling stock:

Train view clearly an old BR slamdoor (sorry it's blurred if you watch the ad on youtube you will see it clearly):

Then we have broadband choices using another one which looks very similar to the buffet car on the spa valley railway and again has the BR / NSE seating covers:

Watchdog last week (in their story on property letting) also managed to squeeze in a shot of a BR Red / White / Blue slam door crossing a bridge:

So with all this publicity for BR and NSE, do you miss them yet?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
12 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Do you miss..

With that much coverage..........

seems highly unlikely.... !  Roll eyes
shalom2010
Grafter

Well, it is the Age Of The Train!  (Not for me, not been on one for years unless you count the underground trains)
Community Veteran

Quote from: shalom2010
Well, it is the Age Of The Train!

Heh not so sure about that! I used to love them but they're so expensive now I can't afford to use the public ones. Then you have the cost of the railway car park on top! In the BR days I think pretty much most of their car parks were free and the train tickets were a lot cheaper too.
Admittedly I got my fare share of free rides in the last couple of years on heritage lines but the public network is out of reach these days  Cry
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Other than a couple of Narrow Gauge railways in Wales I have not been on a Train for years.
Simply don't know how some people manage to afford it, one lady was on the news saying she paid £3,000 plus for a season ticket, Unlikely she had a choice as it was to get to work but unless she is an MP or someone in a very senior position then the money was likely coming out of her pocket !
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

At the moment I commute between Derby and London every weekday, I see quite a number of regulars making the same trip every day ...  I wish the annual season ticket cost only £3000.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

My other half travels to London every 6 or 8 weeks. She books well ahead and travels First Class 'cos it's so cheap when booked well ahead!
We both like to travel by train when going to the 'smoke' and always travel First!
Our daughter travels every week to the 'smoke' but doesn't know which day until the last minute. She pays 4 times more for a Second than her mum pays for First!
Geoff,
York.
Community Veteran

No doubt about it, the fares are definitely very expensive. A relative of mine said they were paying over £350 a month as a commuter. I was stunned! What do you say to that as a railway supporter? - you can't!
Nice to see the old BR rollingstock on TV though eh? Wink Those were the days..
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

Quote from: AlaricAdair
At the moment I commute between Derby and London every weekday, I see quite a number of regulars making the same trip every day ...  I wish the annual season ticket cost only £3000.

Yikes !   Shocked
Using the National Rail Enquiries : Season Ticket Calculator -
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

@NedLudd
I have a similar opinion on the East Coast Main Line.
When I fly in to Heathrow I travel by tube or Heathrow express to Kings Cross depending on the travel times required. Then I travel first class to York, I can usually buy a single in advance for around sixty quid. A no brainer!. free endless tea or coffee, some form of food, beer or cider and Wifi all included.  Cool
The service doesn't match up to the old BR days when I used to buy an second class ticket but spent the whole journey in the  dining car, three courses silver service and a bottle of red! If going down in the morning you had a full English as well!  Roll eyes
the difference between first and second class covered the cost of the meal and some!
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Last time I caught a commuter train was between Waikanae Beach and Wellington in New Zealand, I bought a ticket at the machine, boarded the train and had to stand. I and another person were the only people standing. Was a bit taken aback when the ticket inspector refund my ticket as there were no seats available.
Since then I've travelled on inter city on the Bullet Train and TGV, (they don't allow standing).
Is standing still allowed on UK Intercity links?
Like Gleneagles, haven't travelled on a UK train since the late 1980's
PowerLee
Rising Star

Got to go down to London in a few week's during a weekend.
Just checking fares & it's cheaper for me to purchase 2 single ticket's then buy a return one  Roll eyes
An off peak day return ticket to cover the same journey is over £20 more then buying 2 single ticket's.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Or..... you could try this ........

Cheesy