cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you let your rechargeable batteries rest before use ??

TORPC
Grafter

Do you let your rechargeable batteries rest before use ??

I have several rechargeable batteries that I have had for years & they are still as good as new, albeit they are in daily use
They are various makes & they range from AAA - PP3's
following my late fathers advice, from when I was little, ( I know, I ain't much taller now Tongue)
I always let the batteries rest after charging, (Stand on the side) for the minimum of 10 - 15 minutes prior to use,
Could that be the major factor, for why they are lasting a long time or am I just lucky ?Huh

10 REPLIES
Fixes: 125

Re: Do you let your rechargeable batteries rest before use ??

I always thought it had more to do with allowing them to drain completely as well as not over charging.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

I also have a variety of rechargeables. The ones in a cordless phone (BT) get charged up nightly and are ages old and good as new. My camera batteries are rectangular in shape and are charged using a charger with a built-in docking connector. These do seem to loose capacity fairly often and always are left charged until the in-use one demands a change. The stand-by charged condition can last for weeks but there does not seem to be any correlation  with their ages.
WTF
Grafter

It depends on the battery technology: older batteries did suffer from 'battery memory' so if they weren't completely drained before charging, they wouldn't completely drain in future.  Later batteries needed 'conditioning' where the first couple of times they were used, they needed a couple of cycles of completely charged then completely drained.
More recent battery technology doesn't suffer from this.
Doesn't stop me doing a little conditioning whenever I get a new phone, though.
I've never heard of leaving batteries for 10 or 15 minutes before use, but I guess there's some logic to it: charging batteries heats them and heat can affect battery performance.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: Mav
I always thought it had more to do with allowing them to drain completely as well as not over charging.

That was for NiCad batteries which had a memory effect. Most rechargeable are now NiMH or Li-ion.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 21

One of the batteries that I had which lasted the longest was a cheap AA NiCd that I bought in the late 80's / very early 90's. It was initially used in a small torch - 2AAs. In more recent years, by itself in a clock and it lasted well in there. I only had to chuck it out last year as it would no longer hold charge.
It was usually discharged pretty well fully before being recharged and could well have been overcharged a touch on occasions.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

The limiting factor is the number of recharges and what seems to reduce first is the effective capacity on my Eneloop batteries
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I Have been using the same electric toothbrush for the last 3 years  on a daily basis and it's still going strong, I suspect the same applies to built in rechargeable batteries in a number of other things like tablets etc which are used on a daily basis.
The original post was referring to removal batteries but as mentioned by others the technology has changed and these things are constantly improving as are the items they power which over time have required less power to do the same or more tasks.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

It also seems to be make dependant as well. I have had cheap rechargeable's that fail out of the box. I ordered 4 and 2 were at 0V when I got them. I also have some 14500's one of which works fine the other is @0.7V and fubared again NEW.
I have several of the newer "ready to use" rechargeables and they seem to be better, all be it at a lower capacity than some others.
However I usually re-charge then store, rarely re-charge and use.
Fixes: 47

The latest I read regarding NiMH or Li-ion batteries is that they benefit from being topped up from about 40% and removed from charge when full.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

I've had more DOA's in the last year than before and when I asked why the supplier invariably claims its a problem caused by the new transit rules requiring them to be discharged prior to transit so often times they will be sat in a fully discharged state for weeks instead of half charged as they would have been in the past, and LI-PO seem to be affected by this far more than some of the other types of battery's available
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you