cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you have the bottle?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Do you have the bottle?

Whilst returning from Sainsbury's this morning with a fair amount of frozen items (in truth I only mention that as it was quietly defrosting inside the quite warm car) we were caught behind a milk float, for nearly two miles the ever increasing queue of traffic behind the float crawled, and, crawled. One or two cars got past it, but then a non-stopping Green Line bus was behind it, there were few opportunities to pass the float, when there were traffic approaching from the opposite direction blocked any attempts. The milkman made one stop to deliver and collect money to a customer who wasn't ready for him in, yes! you guessed it; the narrowest part of the road.
Now I don't want to do anybody out of a job, or a company out of a livelihood but, isn't it time now these anachronistic vehicles were retired off the road. Another (presumably competing) local diary uses open sided Transit type vehicles, which can at least keep up with traffic.
So how many folk still have their milk delivered in bottles these days? A while ago I worked with a chap who in previous employment was a manager in milk distribution. He advised, that the freshest milk is delivered daily to the major supermarkets, the most likely to be "off" is that delivered by door to door milkmen during the summer which can be left on the doorstep for much of the day.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
26 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Re: Do you have the bottle?

me - otherwise I would only buy milk once per week
Community Veteran

Quote from: Petlew
So how many folk still have their milk delivered in bottles these days?

Guilty.  Cool
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Quote from: Oldjim
otherwise I would only buy milk once per week

We only buy it once a week -6 pint semi-skimmed (in hopefully recyclable plastic cartons)- it runs out before it goes off, there only two of us drinking/using it though.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

I stopped my doorstep delivery when my milkman retired and sold his round.  At the time I was paying about double for a pint compared with my supermarket.  Only stayed with him out of loyalty.
Community Veteran

I think Petlew should have been in the Green Line public transport rather than in a fuel guzzling car  Wink Wink . It's very noticeable that during school holidays when the huge 4x4 and mobile tractors are not delivering little Johnie to school when he should be walking etc - that traffic is much much free flowing.
but seriously - there are modern electric vans that can do 50 mph - so yes maybe time for an upgrade.
hadden
Grafter

When our milkman switched to a transit-type diesel powered vehicle, we cancelled the deliveries. The milk was delivered an hour before the alarm clock sounded, so the noise of a diesel engine ticking over below the bedroom window was not a good way to start the day  Sad
The above sounds like a situation where a minimum speed limit should be applied, just above the speed of a milk float... or a tractor... or an excavator...
Community Veteran

I don't have milk delivered anymore.
It was cheaper to get at the shop and no real inconvenience to do so, a couple of 2 litre bottles at a time.
Thing I wonder about is how does a milkman make decent money?
How much do they make on each pint/bottle and how many do they have to sell to make a living?

Bojangles
Grafter

I really appreciate having a milkman in our area. We'd have much fewer cars on the road if more groceries were delivered like they used to be. That and they don't need recycling at they just wash them out and stick a lid on. I agree with mal0z about getting them upgraded to faster electric ones. They would need to be electric as ours like many deliver at about 4 in the morning
scootie
Grafter

we use have milkman that came at around 2-3am. the milk was all ready old by then due to it being the previous days for him to be able to delever so early
alanb
Grafter

Brings back vague memories of winter mornings when the milk would be frozen solid in the bottle.  Grin
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

or where the blue tits had pecked a hole in the top
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

I wonder how the tits learned to do this?

Community Veteran

No idea.. but I remember all of the above from when I was a youngster living with my parents in the sticks.
They still get their milk delivered now, but the independent dairy that used to deliver was bought out by dairy crest not so long ago, so prices have gone up again and only get delivered every other day instead of daily..
Denzil
Grafter

I used to have milk delivered by a local chap. He retired a few years ago and a big dairy company with a local depot was due to take on the round, with promises of continuing good service. I never had a single bottle delivered by them. Several months later, I got a bill from them. Not a big one, but a bill nonetheless. My address was spelled wrongly, and even the address of their own depot on their own letterhead was spelled wrongly.
I wrote back pointing out their error, and have never heard anything since. I now buy milk from the supermarket instead.