cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you have a smart meter?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Do you have a smart meter?

If so do you actually do anything about or with the readings you get. Or do you just look at it occasionally and wonder why you do?
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
80 REPLIES
Fixes: 123

Re: Do you have a smart meter?

Got mine last March or April. Still sitting in the drawer as I keep forgetting to install it. Thanks for the timely reminder Embarrassed

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Oh!! This isn't installed by the gas/electricity company then?  I always thought they passed your readings back to save the meter reader calling.
Community Veteran

Ah no, it was installed by myself in a mad fit of thinking this will enable me to make significant reductions in my electricity usage (which are not particularly high in the first place)
In practice all it does is sit on the wall and tell me what I use, that I do absolutely nothing about.
Oh is tells me the temperature (indoors) and an estimate of my production of green house gases (which I totally ignore)

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Maybe it's a different sort of smart meter that will be installed by the gas/electric in 2014?
As you say those ones are supposed to make all the meter readers redundant.
Razer
Grafter

Is a 'smart meter' one that will cut you off if it thinks you haven't paid your bill? i.e. smart arse acting solely for the gas company and not caring about a possible dispute over a bill. I'm sure utility companies would love to have such meters.
Fixes: 102

do you mean an energy monitor Petlew?
had one plugged in for a year and made some changes to our usage. helped to tell when the kids had lights on during the day Roll eyes
Will Moderate For Thanks
Fixes: 47

The gadget freak in me wants one https://www.gov.uk/smart-meters-how-they-work
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Quote from: dvorak
do you mean an energy monitor Petlew?

Actually I think you are right. It was sold under the heading of "smart meter" but following the course of this thread it obviously isn't.
Hence the reason it doesn't actually do anything really useful except stare back when I look at it. It certainly hasn't changed anything we do here. I feel a trip to the bin coming on.

nadger
Rising Star

Thankfully we've not had smart meters fitted or I'd lose the pleasure of refusing entry more than once every 18 months or so  Roll eyes
When we had separate gas and electric suppliers we used to get two readers calling each quarter - that despite having had online paperless accounts for years.
I used to be quite sociable until one gas reader said they had to check in case we were fiddling. British Gas complaints forced his firm to apologise  Smiley
I have heard that smart meters would enable suppliers to disconnect non payers without requiring a court order to gain access.
Razer
Grafter

^So I wasn't wrong. Easy disconnects, that's what they want.
gswindale
Grafter

No need to send Accuread round to mis-read your meters is the main selling point
In theory; this should save the energy co some cash; but how much does a meter cost?  Will we see savings passed on or will Centrica be moving to a swankier more expensive HQ in a few years time?
Don't know about "easy disconnects".  As I understand it; the meter just transmits the usage every 30 minutes.  No mention of a receiver.  When we've had issues at work with the incompetence of utility companies; they've still sent round people where smart meters were installed to disconnect.
Doesn't particularly bother me as it will save me a job each month going out to read the meters to submit them.
Community Veteran

I'm not sure utility companies can disconnect users without going through the courts first Undecided
Don't they have to offer pre-payment accounts to defaulters  Undecided
Community Veteran

Quote from: geofftswin
In theory; this should save the energy co some cash; but how much does a meter cost?  Will we see savings passed on or will Centrica be moving to a swankier more expensive HQ in a few years time?

It will be like water meters. With them how many normal sized family units ended up paying less?
For many prices are now on a par with gas and electric.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Our electricity meter was changed last year but it's just a normal meter. The Guy fitting it said they had run out of funds for smart meters,I simply cannot understand why they did not just wait until they had smart meters rather than fitting a new meter. The old meter was 20 years old, perhaps they have a shelf life ? The old one had a visible rotating ring which speeded up the more electricity you used whereas the replacement one is much smaller and has a digital display.
The chap who fitted it was interested to know where the nearest Mc Donalds was as ours was the last call of the day which he finished at 3pm but he could not return home to Liverpool early as there was a tracker on his van, not sure if he was referring to an electronic tracker where the firm could check where he was at any given time or whether it was similar to what HGV Drivers are required to use,  bit grim whichever way you look at it,............. big brother is watching you comes to mind.