Do you flush "flushable" wet wipes

Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Do you flush "flushable" wet wipes

7 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Do you flush "flushable" wet wipes

I blame the old, falling apart, collapsing porcelain sewage pipes that rarely get replaced unless they cause serious backing up because it's apparently easier to blame the ahem, depositee than upgrade sewage system to something a little less porcelain 1800s and more teflon-coated plastic 2000s... Crazy

And of course, the "advent" of the low-flow bog, which doesn't put enough water down the pipe to keep the velocity up to prevent blockages from forming, and in this house's case, takes two or three flushes to get the job done & gone cos it's so weak at flushing...

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Disingenuous to say they least as by 'flushable' (which they are) they are assumed to 'biodegradable' (which they are not).

Guess I'll have to stop using 'em. Embarrassed

Thanks for the heads up! 

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

No we don't put wet wipes down the bog - they don't break up.

We had a blocked drain a while back. The drain guy put a camera up there and there were loads of little clusters of poo and tissue all the way along the unblocked pipe. I suppose each time you flush it just moves each one along a bit more.

When we found the right drain cover (covered over with soil) he lifted it and it was utterly choked up. He got it going again and then it was like watching a tube train flowing through - one long continuous round shape load of poo and tissue went through lol.

There was no way the toilet plunger was ever going to shift that lot... or the stupid long spirally spring she made me go and get.. or the other plunger... or the other thing...  cost me £120 but it was worth it just to get the damn bog working again and live a stress free life.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Minivanman
Hero

So glad forum members are not reading these posts over their breakfasts. Too much information! Wink 

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran

I remember way back mine used to get blocked 2-3 times a year. Apparently it was down to something called a double intercostal connector I think. "Stuff" used get tangled on this so the flow would slow down, fat would settle etc. Anyway the main pipe was shared and one of those was a council house so they paid.

Then the regs changed and the water board became responsible. When it next became blocked I pointed this out to the council. So after years of the council paying for the unblocking the water board workers turn up and the connector part was dug up and replaced. No blockage since.

When they were doing this final dig they even found several drain rod lengths that had just been left there.

Minivanman
Hero

I keep a full set of drain (and chimney) rods in my shed as I'd hate to be paying somebody else pounds to shift...... poo). My last place had a septic tank which was my responsibility of course so such an item was essential.

I've had no cause to use it in the past ten years though!  

Fixes: 47

When working with a master plumber in a large cutlery and silverware factory the main blockage problem was a certain item the 'ladies' disposed of.

We installed incinerators in the toilet blocks but had difficulty persuading staff to use them.

Being buffer girls they had no problem explaining their reasons to us and suggesting where we could put them.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation