Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you compare when posting a package?

idonno
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

Do you compare when posting a package?

I wonder how many others just go with trusted names. Seems there are savings to be made, even when sending the humble package.

Had to send a couple of passports to the other side of the world that had to be there this week. Quite obviously, the package needed to be tracked, signed for etc. Tried the Post Office. No good, they didn't do tracked deliveries to the country. Looking around, it seemed the courier market was rather small when it came to tracking to Vietnam. Anyway, filled in a couple of forms for quotes. Lowest was UPS. Started to go through the process but I noticed on one of the searches, this other company (even had the word 'compare' in the company title) had come up a couple of times. Seemed they'd been around for a good 30 years. Never heard of them.

Filled in their form, up pops a price of £23, half of what UPS wanted, with delivery on the 19th. Spent a good 15 mins or so deliberating whether to go with this unknown company. The wife was saying use UPS. Me being tight with money, decided otherwise. A saving of £22 wasn't to be sniffed at, especially for such a small envelope (A5). The company even dished out free insurance. Filled in the online form and eventually printed off a label for the package. One heart stopping moment was the package was addressed to the company! Scam or what? Swear I filled in the recipient's name.

Friday, UPS (of all companies), came and picked it up to deliver it to the company. It went through various places and finally left the UK very early Tuesday, via another courier company. Went on to Hong Kong via Germany. Today its been delivered in Vietnam. Pretty impressive stuff and a very happy customer here. The timings of its journey are eye watering too. Leaving UK to delivery in Vietnam, mileage: 7050 miles in 25 hours. Can your post do that?

Will I be using them again, certainly! Seems it's not just insurance, electricity etc that savings can be made on.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
12 REPLIES 12
Gandalf
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 1,021

Re: Do you compare when posting a package?

Last year I posted something from New Zealand back to the UK and it arrived within 48 hours over a weekend. I was impressed. Thumbs_Up
When I post something from the UK, which is normally rare nowadays, I tend to just go to the Post Office as it’s local, and also I’ve got shares in Royal Mail Cheesy so gotta try to boost the value since they rocketed then plummeted rather quickly many years ago!
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Anoush Mortazavi
 Plusnet Help Team
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Sounds to me like UPS were handling the delivery logistics and the company you used were some sort of broker? They certainly are a mean lean machine when it comes to operations - did you watch that documentary about them a little while back. Impressive.

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
Anonymous
Not applicable

What I can’t understand is why you were sending Passports to Vietnam.

If the recipients of the Passports were in that country then how did they get there without them?

I am of course thinking out loud here, but all the same I'm still confused.

Baldrick1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 186

Maybe the old one's had expired. That's me also thinking out loud.

TTman
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 1

@idonno  could you give the company name to save other having to search for it???

Champnet
Champion
Fixes: 7

@TTman  Wait till he's confirmed delivery. Wink

Anonymous
Not applicable

That may well be the case @Baldrick1 but if it is the case and as you need a Visa to enter Vietnam then Passport Control (in any country travelled through) should have asked to see the new Passport if the Visa ran longer than the expiry date.

Baldrick1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 186

As I said earlier I was only, like you, thinking out loud. Many years ago when you needed a Visa stamp in your passport to get into the USA I had a perpetual one. Years later whenever I went to the states I used to take both my current passport and the old one with the Visa, which was always accepted.

I have no idea whether this practice is still acceptable and/or applicable to other nations.

idonno
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

@Anonymous wrote:  What I can’t understand is why you were sending Passports to Vietnam.

Long story! Smiley Let's just say the Home Office have wonderful ways of working when it comes to foreign passports..

As to the company: Parcelcompare. Packet was delivered in HCMC at 3am our time Smiley

@Gandalf The post office is what I usually use for a lot of stuff (usually cheap) but seems they don't do tracking to ALL countries. Suppose it depends on what tie ups they have in other places.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, most odd @idonno and why the Home Office would have, want or need a Foreign National’s Password when they weren’t even resident in the Country considering there’s an Embassy in Hanoi where things could have been done. Oh well the workings of Government are peculiar to say the least.

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

@Anonymous wrote:

What I can’t understand is why you were sending Passports to Vietnam.

Not half as peculiar as Passport to Pimlico. Cheesy

We did have a branch of Post and Packing in this area for a while, but it closed.  I think it was mainly aimed at business customers, although local eBay sellers, and even those who send lots of Christmas cards/presents, found it useful and cheaper than the Post Office.

Gandalf
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 1,021

@idonno wrote:

@Gandalf The post office is what I usually use for a lot of stuff (usually cheap)

Thanks for your support. Cheesy although it looks like the stock has just dipped. Sad

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Anoush Mortazavi
 Plusnet Help Team