Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you carry cash

Community Veteran
Fixes: 61

Do you carry cash

From today's Times

Cashless society
On the streets of London I heard a besuited man say to a homeless youth: “I’m sorry, I don’t have any change, I only have cards.” What a knob, I thought, but then I realised I too only had cards. In fact because of the ubiquity of contactless payment, I realised I hadn’t carried any change on me for weeks. Even small transactions such as 45p for chewing gum are more easily done with a card these days. It’s egalitarian in a way. We have all become like the Queen.

Even a Luddite like me only carries notes (£5 minimum) in the wallet with the cards so is this becoming normal

35 REPLIES
Pete11
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Do you carry cash

Dunno if it's just me, but I carry enough cash to see me through the day, my cards stay at home otherwise I might be tempted by that 'impulse buy'. I very rarely carry any cards these days having had them stolen a couple of years ago from my jacket.

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
PowerLee
Rising Star

I normally have around £15 in cash on me, but I do use my cards to pay for things where possible.

The card reader & cash machine in the staff canteen are notorious for failing / being out of service - so unless I want to go hungry at work its best to have a back up plan of £ in the wallet.
DaveyH
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

I carry a £20 note just in case, but I gave up carrying my cards and use Android Pay exclusively now

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I carry cash when I feel my bank's nickle & diming might get me into financial pickles, but that said I got a Cashplus card recently so that's been my "cash" lately, as it's a contactless card too... Smiley

But there are times cash is handy, outdoor markets for instance, the green grocers and tat-sellers tend not to carry chip & PIN devices about with them...Grin

Fixes: 127

I very rarely carry cash in the UK, prefer mobile payments.

Sweden is very much pushing cashless society with some places not accepting cash at all.
Germany is the opposite, many places don’t even accept card or only certain banks cards. It’s horrible 😂
Will Moderate For Thanks
jab1
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 5

IF I am going out and not planning any shopping, I carry about £20.00 in notes and large (£1, £2) coins, just in case I visit a shop that doesn't have electronic payment facilities - and it is surprising how many good little cafes don't.  The same applies if I need to buy my weekly travel ticket on the bus - as yet First South Yorkshire only do contactless on board for single and daysaver fares - but that will change in the next six months or so, meaning I won't need to worry about that.

If I am shopping, then I take my debit card with me as I hate carrying any more cash than that small amount, and Idon't need to think 'have I got enough cash?'

John
Community Veteran

Always carry cash and cards, About £20 or so, some in loose change, guess it's just a habit and unlikely to change at my age.

Only have 2 cards, credit and debt card, never seen the need for any additional cards.

A year ago I was getting some petrol from Asda, 24 hour card only service and some chap pulled up asking me where do you pay in cash ? Told him it was not possible to do so, didn't believe me as he asked several other people before driving off muttering something.

A cashless society does raise one important issue, there are many people who do not have credit cards as the bank has refused them a card for a variety of reasons. ie being bankrupt, criminal activity. so how will these people get on in the future ?

From 2016 there is a legal requirement to allow everybody to open a basic bank account which has a card to make debit card transactions.
Will Moderate For Thanks
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Its always nice to have a bit of cash at hand , not all shops take plastic Thumbs Up

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Community Veteran

I always carry cash and just spend cash.

Community Veteran

wrote:
From 2016 there is a legal requirement to allow everybody to open a basic bank account which has a card to make debit card transactions.

Whilst that's correct am I not correct in thinking you need certain information to open a bank account, such as an address, a current bill to confirm you live at that address ?

So how does a homeless person get a bank account, or someone who is bankrupt and totally irresponsible with money ?

So it may well be a legal requirement but it does not follow everybody will be able to get a basic bank account.

Smiley

Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

@Oldjim wrote:

Even a Luddite like me only carries notes (£5 minimum) 

You mean it's possible to carry smaller notes? Grin

I personally don't trust electronic money. It's too easy for the state to freeze your funds if they decide to get hostile towards you (that is unless you have accounts all over the world). The banks can also refuse you access to it as they see fit. I prefer cash despite the germs it carries.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!

So how does a homeless person get a bank account, or someone who is bankrupt and totally irresponsible with money ?

So it may well be a legal requirement but it does not follow everybody will be able to get a basic bank account.

Smiley

The basic bank account is designed for those who have poor credit / bankruptcy etc. 

Ofc homelessness is another (sad) story

Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

So do we have a linky to this 2016 everyone can have an account law / story?

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!