cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you believe?

Steve
Seasoned Pro

Do you believe?

In something higher up, The powers that be? Fate? Destiny? Something weird but good happened to me today and confirms my beliefs that there Is more to this life than meets the eye.
An old friend got jailed years ago, He got 14YRS Inside, I wont go Into detail but Its a very complex story and I guess I wont ever know the truth, He was an old work mate, Some one who knew everyone and everyone knew him.
I sat through out the last 15 year or so pondering  about how he Is coping In there, If he was well, And when was his release, Would I see him again In this life to put my mind at rest as to any truth In why he got a lengthy sentence.
Last night I had a dream about him, All I can remember from that dream was his face, Today for the first time In 10 years or so we crossed each others path. I approached him and said " Tam " he looked and said nope you got the wrong man," No" I said that Is you don't you remember me? No he says who are you? He was looking nervous, I'm steve I said, I worked with you and known you for a very long time.
It finally twigged, We shook hands and went to the cafe for a coffee and a chat, He still maintains his Innocence and I said, " Look Tam( Not his real name ) I don't care what you have done but you did the time for It and I've thought about you occasionally wondering If you are coping etc and what the nick has done to you mentally "
Any way after a chat we had to part, I gave him my mobile number and said any time you want to meet up just give me a call. I don't know how to get In touch with him but he can get a hold of me If he wants. Life Is so short and true friends are something of a rarity. I gave him an olive branch as I hope some one would give me one.
I think he's got his head down now and wants a new life, But we were good mates and I hope he feels the same, I will find out If he phones to meet up again, The main thing Is I know he has got through It and Is looking well and that to me has eased my mind, Does that make sense? I am chuffed to bits.
What was the chance of bumping Into one another today he said at the same spot at the same time, Very slim I said, Very very slim. He's only been out the nick just over a year.
Ps No he hasn't harmed children and that's all I can say.
24 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Do you believe?

I do hope that your friend understands your friendship, and will call you to meet up again.  Good luck to you, and best wishes for his "new" future.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Thank you for that shutter, With me suffering depression this has given me more belief that good things will come my way and all will be revealed, It has boosted me some what, Not sure If that makes sense ( Only makes sense to those who know why I suffer from It). I take what happened today as a positive, I have also seen a ghost. Nowt to do with this no BUT why are these things being revealed to me?
There's a reason for everything and Its a funny old world. And I believe that there Is more to this life than meets the eye. I have considered taking up religion as a way to cure me and after these last few years that feeling grows stronger. Just now I am not religious.
From his point of view perhaps he wants a clean start, But we worked together and drank together and visited each other years ago before he was put away. And would like to hope that he may want to become friends again, And If not then I can understand, I am glad he has got through It though as I thought It was going to be the end of him.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I'm not sure about god.. the jury is still out on that one but i do believe there is 'something' out there. Whether thats fate, destiny or just coincidence i don't know but i'm sure there is something.
No idea about the afterlife but i lost family a while back and i'd had a very unlucky one with our cars electronics - £600 worth to repair it. I hadn't got that sort of money and i had no idea what to do with it since it was pretty important to have working. I sat in it one day after it had been sat 6 months and i literally sat there and wished it would work again. Got called for dinner.. pressed the button for old times sake and **** me it worked. I had to get the SO and the neighbour to double check it because i didn't believe it. It hadn't worked for over 9 months. I had to look up and say thanks because when i accidentally found it to be working the sun shone right down on me and the car almost like it was some sort of sign.
Shame i've not had any such luck since but at least i have a reason for not wanting the car to be scrapped  Wink
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Sorry to hear that okrzynska, I liked your story, So Is that car working today? Crazy how I dreamt of him last night then this happened today, Me and my girlfriend believe there Is something out there, We too are unsure what, She says I had that dream because... In her words " They were preparing me for meeting him today "
All I know Is Its nuts!!
Community Veteran

No its not nuts mate.. it's actually quite logical if you think about it.
We don't fully understand the universe, how things are interlinked etc.
A friend of mine made a valid point the other day. We were talking about whether there is any such thing as fate or whether it is all just coincidence and accident when things happen. He had a very good (but worrying) reply that everything that happens is a reaction to something else. From the smallest chemical reactions to the tectonic plates hitting and causing earth quakes. We don't understand the brain either but we know its full of chemicals. We're not psychic but yet we can all understand our partners 'suggestions' where the bedroom is involved etc, we all understand threatening situations or when we're in danger etc. For all we know dreams may actually be our own minds telling us of future events. We don't fully understand how things work. It's true you know, the more you think about it.. Every action has a reaction. In a way coincidences in life must mean something.
This is my take on things:
Yes, the car lived on.. temporarily. Took it away on a 400 mile trip for the weekend.. got back and the tensioner on the cambelt was screaming. If you look at the 2nd hand cars thread you'll see it's been dismembered since and hasn't started again since despite £2k of parts, tools, etc. I tried to get it crushed last year but all the breakers were interested in was stripping it for parts. I just wanted it in the garden as a cube so i could hit it and have my revenge but not one would crush it for any amount of cash. They just wanted the parts and seeing as i'd put a lot of brand new ones into it i wasn't going to just give those away for them to make money (I could ebay them but thats not the point). If there really is something out there then maybe that was the way it was meant to be. Maybe it's saved me from myself and my own stupidity because i would of only regretted it after if i had got it crushed. Like you, i've had dreams.. about the car. Just last night i had a dream that the car had come back from the dead and was running again - and my partner has had dreams like it too and told me not to give up on it. I suspect it might end up costing me more £'s but dreams like that give you hope. I'm very attached to that car, it's not even mine it's actually my partners but she bought it for me to use as i was skint at the time and working 18 miles away. I've always had free use of it on the grounds that the responsibility for its upkeep is down to me. She has nothing to do with it and refuses to drive it.
We've been through tough times me and that car:

• Speedo jammed the day we got it, £600 quote for that, fault was the plastic cover on the front, took off, no problem (replacement found at scrappy)

• I've cracked the sump and been stranded

• Had every mechanic in a 30 mile radius refuse to work on it

• Tried to sell it twice and both times it didn't sell (the previous owner said no and he'd asked for first refusal because he loved it so much)

• Oil filter fell off (leaving the engine with no lubrication - dodgy garage repair)

• Electronics failure mentioned above

• Crashed it into the front end of a volvo

• Been written off

• Survived the insurers who wanted to take it (rare car - possibly worth ££ as scrap)

• Rebuilt it in the middle of winter in the wind, rain, snow

• etc

In short its been nothing but a pain but i don't have kids or family and if i did i'd probably suffer worse with kids (footballs in greenhouses etc) so while its cost me dearly so far it's still a great old dog. I know almost every inch of that car now and i'm a believer that its better the devil you know than the devil you don't.
I guess what i'm trying to say (albeit the long way around) is sometimes these things are meant to be. Dreams aren't really understood. People claim to be able to understand them and read them but they usually have odd symptoms EG teeth crumbling apparently means insecurity. I've had loads of dreams about my teeth crumbling.. a year later they started to do just that. I've now got 3 fillings, 3 teeth that started to crumble/crack, one removed. I say dreams are probably more 'realistic' than vague and frankly i think they are some sort of prediction of the future. I also had some paranoia about a health issue when i was younger. I'd have dreams where the Doctors would tell me there was nothing wrong etc. Years later i braved it and went to see the Docs.. they send me off for scans etc and found nothing wrong. I think in reality, the mind has it's own ways of telling us things that we need to know but might not be able to handle if its just dumped on us during the day. You have a weird dream.. you wake up and if you remember it you end up thinking about it for a while trying to understand it don't you. Don't deny it.. we've all done it or spoken to someone about it.
You'll probably think i'm bonkers with everything i've said but i've had a assortment of obstacles through life which i've had to overcome and i've experienced a lot of weird and 'coincidence' kind of stuff.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

I don't think your mad at all, And actually I also believe dreams play a big part In life, Or at the least, The subconscious plays a very big role we just cant understand, They do say that over half your brain Is not used because we don't know how to use It.I had a dream when I was a child my father would beat me up, Few weeks later that actually happened and It played out exactly as I had dreamt It. Its when you tell people In life your experiences In this subject that It either makes way for some Interesting stories, Or people think your crazy.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I'm poles apart from you guys on this one, I don't believe in anything like religion, afterlife, dreams or any of that stuff.
The more I hear about religion the less I am inclined to believe in it.
Sure there are parts of the brain we still don't understand but looking at people who have injured a part of their brain and seeing the affect this has gives us clues to what part of the brain controls what. The frontal lobes control personality and damage to that part caused by injury or drugs can drastically alter the personality of the individual. Alcohol is one drug that does this but some drugs can cause permanent changes ie LSD.
Our bodies consist of a range of chemical balances, Insulin, Potassium, sodium and a vast range or other substances in addition to what we ingest in food and drugs, any inbalances in the substances may well effect our brain and it is common knowledge that people who go without sleep for long periods will suffer from hallucinations so it's quite easy to see things that are not really there.
Add to this the whole subject of genetics and what we inherit from our parents and you have a grand mix of what human beings can be like, many of our physical features come from our parents and it's a fair bet much of our thinking is based on our early environment, some of us being more influenced than others by peer pressure as most people want to fit in.
This is a subject you could write about for ages but I have never been convinced by anything I have seen in my life that my view up to now.
I Do however respect the views of others who hold a different opinion to mine but I will leave you with one possibly depressing thought, If I am right and this is it and there is nothing else after we die, then what is the point of anything ?
My answer is there is no point, other than to live your life the best way you can doing no harm to others..... this philosophy has served me well up to now. 
Fixes: 125

Quote from: gleneagles
..this philosophy has served me well up to now.  

Except you can't guarantee others have the same level of decency.
The brain is very complex. It has been found that after a brain trauma and even ECT that other parts of the brain can take over the function of the damaged part.
More info here.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

There are electrical impulses created by chemical reaction in brain, nerve and other cells.
ECT simply disrupts these impulses and most people frequently fail to remember things following ECT and thats why it's considered an effective treatment in some forms of mental illness, however, there is evidence that ECT can do lasting damage in terms of memory any many authorities do not support this form of treatment.
Certainly agree the brain is complex and we don't know everything about it.
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Electroconvulsive therapy is barbaric, some information on Electroconvulsive therapy here
Steve
Seasoned Pro

I suppose some people only believe when they experience what others have... Or what others have not!...( I was a sceptic ) But not any more, I have seen the living dead with my own eye and foretold a future event from my dream. I was under no pressure at the time or drugs or drink, It was not my Imagination and know that for sure. Smiley
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

@Steve M, As one who has seen a ghost I believe you!
Community Veteran

Quote from: gleneagles
I'm poles apart from you guys on this one, I don't believe in anything like religion, afterlife, dreams or any of that stuff.

So how do you explain dreams?
Fixes: 125

I believe dreams are just the subconscious sifting through and working out problems and have no more meaning than when you're awake.
I think if you have something on your mind you're more likely to dream about it. Some foods seem to aid dreaming and some dreams seem more real than others.
I have had regular nightmares ever since childhood and they are still very vivid often causing me to wake in a sweat. But I've never felt the need to apportion any further meaning than simply a dream.
I don't believe you can dream about the future although I do feel some people are more likely to want to make it come true simply because it's now playing of your mind and maybe you (subconsciously) . The future can't be seen as there are too many variables involved.
This is just my take and is not based on any evidence, scientific or otherwise.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still