cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you bank with Barclays Bank, time to change ?

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Do you bank with Barclays Bank, time to change ?

Barclays tells customers it is going to start selling their data as poll finds growing public concern about online privacy
Barclays Bank is to sell data on the spending habits of millions of its current and savings account customers to third parties.
The bank has written to customers to tell them it is going to package together ‘information about the transactions on your account’ to compile reports on spending trends across Britain.
The data could then be sold on other companies or government departments.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/news/article-2347285/Barclays-tells-customers-going-start-selling-d...
12 REPLIES
Mattz0r
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Do you bank with Barclays Bank, time to change ?

Sad
Barclays are a decent bank too, never had any problems or had to visit the branch other than for 2 minutes to cash a cheque lol.
I don't think I'd find a decent service anywhere else.. and changing banks is a lot of faffing about
Community Veteran

"Data" just a nice way of saying spying.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Changing banks is a DODDLE.
If you Nationwide anyway, they handle all the DD transfers etc. All you need to do is sign a couple of forms.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Nationwide. is my choice too !... been with them for years.... not a bank... but still a building society... run by members..... for members..... just got my voting form for the next years big chiefs selection!...
alanf
Aspiring Pro

I am less bothered about banks selling anonymised data than treating actual information carelessly as Nationwide BS did in 2007.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6360715.stm
Razer
Grafter

Quote from: billnotben
"Data" just a nice way of saying spying.

Precisely:
In letters being sent to customers, it is also outlining what details about them it holds and uses which, it said, "may include images of you or recordings of your voice", as well as comments made in interactions with the bank on social media sites such as Twitter and Facebook. Barclays said it may collect "location data derived from any mobile device details you have given us" - suggesting it will be able to pinpoint where in the world a customer is at a particular moment in time.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2013/jun/24/barclays-bank-sell-customer-data
x47c
Grafter

Matching mobile location to any transaction seems an excellent way of fraud prevention.
So mobile in UK, transaction attempt in dodgy country X  or even somewhere else in the UK - almost certainly fraud.
I was part of a trial with a credit card firm on exactly this point.  So they knew where my card was likely to be used based on my mobile location which they were
obtaining from data provided by my mobile company.
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 4

There is no such thing as anonymised data :/
Community Veteran

Wasn't there a recent scandal about "anonymised data"  showing how easy it was to put names to the so called anonymised data?
That at best it was no harder than putting a puzzle together, a childrens one with just a few pieces.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Have I missed something here ?
Does the Data Protection Act not apply to Barclays ?
If you write and tell them you do not want your details passing on to any other organization other that Law enforcement agencies, Tax departments and others who have a legal right to see it what happens then ?
I Guess they will lose  a number of customers over this.
The misuse of data by a large number of agencies is becoming a very hot topic with more people than ever expressing concern about the lack of confidentiality regarding information they have provided.
Community Veteran

Quote from: gleneagles
Does the Data Protection Act not apply to Barclays ?

What about telecoms and ISP's?
I suppose the magic phrase "national interest" covers them and GCHQ.
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

Quote from: billnotben
Wasn't there a recent scandal about "anonymised data"  showing how easy it was to put names to the so called anonymised data?

Yep it was AOL