cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you always buy cheapest?

salmo
Rising Star

Re: Do you always buy cheapest?

For an item such as the camera I would ask my local shop if they could match the internet price including delivery. If yes I would buy from that shop.So when it's an identical branded item I will go for the cheapest.

For plumbers, electricians builders etc I try and use local tradesmen but will get references and several quotes. When there is an important service element I don't always go for the cheapest.  I've just had to renew my breakdown cover the price of which doubled. I rang them up up and they wouldn't move on price until I pointed out that I could get it 40% cheaper on their own web site. Suddenly a discount of 40% was found. They were still not the cheapest according to comparison sites but with things like this I try to balance cost and service. 

Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

I always do as much research on the item as possible, you can get a review of almost anything on the internet but it comes down to quality for me rather than the price (within reason)

Equally a higher price is no guarantee of quality.

Often start my search on Amazon and then check out other websites.

As for cameras there are some good prices out there as many people just use their phones to take pictures, I don't have one but some of the latest iphones have 12 MP cameras with zooms and wide angle etc.

If you are going to print photographs rather than just view them on a PC then you need a fairly good camera, several photography forums might be the best place for answers to specific questions or reviews on any camera.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 21

90% of the time cheapest item, as long as it is the SAME item not a different one.
Why pay £15 for something in the UK when I can have it delivered from China for £3? As long as it the same model and with the same warranty no brainer.

Locally vs on-line no shops locally that do that kind of stuff only supermarkets really locally.
E.g. I wanted some pvc tubing for syphoning beer. (none locally) I was in Carlisle last week and went to B&Q there, £2.49/m hmm I though I won't bother. Ordered 10M online (with next day delivery) for £7.80 (=~3M from B&Q), I reckoned that the excess will last me for a few years. (I only needed 2M but the difference in cost was minimal for the extra length)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

@7up wrote:

Yes and no.

When I was temporarily employed in a reasonably well paid job I was a spend thrift. I didn't really worry too much about what i spent - lowest cost or not. At the local renault dealers (only supplier for the parts i needed) their parts prices could be quite high compared to other brands but i'd shell out the money without even thinking about it.

These days for virtually anything i'll look online for prices, then hit ebay, find the absolute cheapest price and that supplier gets my order as long as their feedback is good. If it's got a lot of negatives or their positives are less than 98.5% then I won't touch them.

There are times though when lowest cost hunting becomes a grind and at that point if there probably isn't much difference i won't worry about the difference in price.

Forgot to say.. I was assuming that this was for the exact same product - brand / model - not a cheaper version.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
idonno
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

90% of the time cheapest item, as long as it is the SAME item not a different one.
Why pay £15 for something in the UK when I can have it delivered from China for £3? As long as it the same model and with the same warranty no brainer
Only problem with that is getting it back to China when things go wrong. There is warranty and there is (no) warranty.
Of course, you pays your money and takes your choice but I always bear in mind these words when buying:
“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten” – Benjamin Franklin

Luzern
All Star
Fixes: 3

In making my choice I revisited sites to recheck prices, and found a black version of my purchase £20 cheaper than its silver partner with Amazon, so that's what I have gone with. Argos and PCW would have been other options at the £20 higher price.

I hope I'll have chosen well.

btw gleneagles wrote:

I always do as much research on the item as possible, you can get a review of almost anything on the internVet 

How true, but how many just parrot what has been written elsewhere?Roll eyes

Thanks for discussion. Smiley

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

@idonno wrote:
Why pay £15 for something in the UK when I can have it delivered from China for £3? As long as it the same model and with the same warranty no brainer
Only problem with that is getting it back to China when things go wrong. There is warranty and there is (no) warranty.
Of course, you pays your money and takes your choice but I always bear in mind these words when buying:
“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten” – Benjamin Franklin

Typically the chinese tend to know when their products are junk and not worth quibbling over. I bought a pet tracker when we moved so that i could locate the cat if he vanished. Great idea in theory but when it showed him as being half a mile away when he was sat right outside the backdoor asking to come in was a bit of a shock! Then it refused to charge properly.. instead of a steady charging light it kept blinking irratically indicating a loose connection in the charging socket or circuit. I contacted them about it and they just refunded me and told me to bin the tracker. I think I had a couple of other chinese items that the chinese have remedied quickly too. 

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 21

@idonno true, but I also have had them PAY me to return a tablet under warranty. And get a new tablet when I was lost.

As I say if it is less than £20 then I will get it from China, on the understanding it may have a reduced life, but when I would be paying 2-3 time the price here then I feel it is worth it. Mostly I get electronic devices like Arduino's and shields from there, costing up to £5 vs £10-15 here. And they last till I blow them up Cheesy