Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you always buy cheapest?

Luzern
Pro
Fixes: 2

Do you always buy cheapest?

Some people give me the impression, that they always select the cheapest supplier of their wishes. For most things that goes, but, I don't know about any of you, sometimes, when it comes to larger ticket items, I debate myself,as now.

In this case I am debating the change from a bridge camera, which weighs ~18 oz to a travel zoom, ~9 oz. Prices vary in most shops by about £20, local shops being dearer than on line purchases with one ubiquitous exception. I have no need to br price conscious at the particular level.

I don't want to narrow to this one thing, but how do you stand in such matters--- cheapness at all cost vs support to local businesses and faith in their service?

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
22 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Do you always buy cheapest?

In the scenario you describe... I would go for the cheaper supplier... so long as the "back up" service is as good as the shop.... i.e. something goes wrong with it, you can get a replacement/refund per the trading laws, without (too much) hassle.

I was looking for a newer version, upgrade, of my camera... from 18X optical to 60X optical zoom.... the difference in price between the local photographic shop and on line was about £40.00 and the distant selling regs and s.o.g. act were the same as if I had bought it in the  shop...    

You can argue, that because I ( and many others ), buy items "on line" because they are cheaper, that "the little man" loses out....  and eventually (may) go out of business,.... in my case, the shop has been there for the past 50 years, and is still doing business, so he must be making money somewhere other than the lost camera sale...

Fixes: 123

I think it may depend on circumstances as well as what the item is.

If someone is on a fixed, low income then looking for the lowest cost locally or online is probably a must.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Yes and no.

When I was temporarily employed in a reasonably well paid job I was a spend thrift. I didn't really worry too much about what i spent - lowest cost or not. At the local renault dealers (only supplier for the parts i needed) their parts prices could be quite high compared to other brands but i'd shell out the money without even thinking about it.

These days for virtually anything i'll look online for prices, then hit ebay, find the absolute cheapest price and that supplier gets my order as long as their feedback is good. If it's got a lot of negatives or their positives are less than 98.5% then I won't touch them.

There are times though when lowest cost hunting becomes a grind and at that point if there probably isn't much difference i won't worry about the difference in price.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

If I want to buy something that one place has for, say, £25, and another place has exactly the same for £15, I'm going for the cheaper price, cos most of the time it's all made in china and costs naff all for the retailer to actually buy themselves and should pass that on to the consumer, not profit off it as though it were some top quality item...

Mayfly
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Customer service plays a big part in my buying power. For example the other day I wanted some plumbing items (for my fishpond) in one well known local builders merchants they were £4.50  I called into a small plumbing and double glazing place and they were very helpful, one of the chaps even called his mate who spoke about his pond and the set up he has. Their item was £7.00 but I bought from them because they were friendly and would/will go back if I need more stuff. 

Now obviously the difference was only £3.00 if it had been £30 or even £10 things would have been different because I don't throw money away.

Community Veteran

I deffo use local tradesmen and suppliers wherever possible because more money stays in the local community. But I do use Amazon or Ebay when I need to do reserch and match my requirements. Value for money is more important than just price.
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I tend to avoid the cheapest, but go for the least expensive. A cheap item can sometimes cost more in the longer run.

I will buy locally where possible.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Like others have said it depends on what is being bought. For example a couple of weeks ago I replaced my old coffee maker with a Jura unit based on reputation and recommendation. But if I were buying a new TV I wouldn't buy anything other than a Samsung.

Sometimes buying the cheapest can be a false economy, but the other day I bought a 1 tog quilt from Amazon with it described as a Fogarty Second at £15. But no ones sees that when the cover's on!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Mook wrote:

a Jura unit

Huh

The only Jura "units" I like are the ones the Isle of Jura (when I can afford it of course)... Grin

Jura.jpg

Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Don't do alcohol to be honest and the smell of whiskey is vile to me. But I was in fact referring to this.

Lurch
Rising Star

I agree mostly with the sentiments on this thread. I will buy the item at the want at the cheapest price within reason, such as factoring in hassle and preferred suppliers etc.

I know people (and of course there is a lot of this on here) that will buy the cheapest possible thing regardless of brand/reputation and then complain continuously when it doesn't perform in exactly the same way as the top brands and the support isn't on hand 24/7 with flawless answers to queries. If I buy an off-brand item at some bargain basement price I will accept that there will be a trade off on customer service and product quality, although even this is becoming quite difficult as I there are a few things I buy for jobs that I can either get direct from China fro next to nothing or from some random supplier in the UK for a bargain or from a preferred supplier for a fairly decent sum and all 3 of these items can often be exactly the same random cheap Chinese unit. Prime example of this is LED floodlights.

Mook wrote:

if I were buying a new TV I wouldn't buy anything other than a Samsung.

How strange, I would buy almost anything but a Samsung!

Luzern
Pro

shutter wrote:

In the scenario you describe... I would go for the cheaper supplier... so long as the "back up" service is as good as the shop.... i.e. something goes wrong with it, you can get a replacement/refund per the trading laws, without (too much) hassle.

I was looking for a newer version, upgrade, of my camera... from 18X optical to 60X optical zoom.... the difference in price between the local photographic shop and on line was about £40.00 and the distant selling regs and s.o.g. act were the same as if I had bought it in the  shop...    

You can argue, that because I ( and many others ), buy items "on line" because they are cheaper, that "the little man" loses out....  and eventually (may) go out of business,.... in my case, the shop has been there for the past 50 years, and is still doing business, so he must be making money somewhere other than the lost camera sale...

Yes one does wonder, as when walking past my local shop, often there is no one in it. Maybe some have contract work, or are used equipment sales a good spinner perhaps, or ancillaries like frames? Of course the real little man is not making it, but is content with what he likes doing until....

One wonders much less about the ubiquitous well known sheds; they make it by overpriced cables and warranties.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Luzern
Pro

AlaricAdair wrote:

I tend to avoid the cheapest, but go for the least expensive. A cheap item can sometimes cost more in the longer run.

I will buy locally where possible.

Suppose it could depend on how much use you expect it to have. A professional may recommend the best, For Joe Soap that could be money wasted.

Luzern
Pro

The same considerations may apply to services. For instance I separate phone from broadband, and hitherto the annual costs combined have been so close, as to give no reason for change.

This year my LRS runs out in mid August and I could save ~£20/year, based on the last twelve months usage (inc excess minutes and other ex package items)- 6.2% saved, a little less on the basics.

BT's  phone service here is very good from my experience, so is the saving worth it?