cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you OWN the stuff you purchase from {itunesamazon//etc}?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Do you OWN the stuff you purchase from {itunesamazon//etc}?

Just thinking about the proliferation of download sites now where you can get a track or a complete album, or the latest book in digital format. With xmas coming more people will be getting ebook readers, tablets, mp3 players etc.
So when you go onto itunes (or kindle books or similar) and purchase something there are you actually BUYING it or just RENTING it?
Poll will publish the results after 5 days. But be interesting to see what everybody thinks.
8 REPLIES
David_W
Rising Star

Re: Do you OWN the stuff you purchase from {itunesamazon//etc}?

Technically you never own software or music, you own the medium it is on, the CD or DVD but you purchase a licence to use the music or software, this is what prevents you from making copies and sticking them on to the internet.  A recent EU ruling has pointed out that we're allowed to sell on our digital collections to another person (iTunes music, steam games) but we never actually really own the stuff itself, just given an unlimited personal use licence.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

I specifically didn't ask about s/w as it is a minefield.
But say you go into a shop and buy a book, after you have read it you can give it to your friends, sell it at a boot sale, donate it to a charity shop etc. Now you buy the ebook (for about the same cost) what can you do with it? (apart form read it)
CX
Grafter

It was my understanding that irrespective of medium you just buy a licence to listen/watch/use, and only in the format you buy it in.
As far as the film studios, record companies and games publishers are concerned, if you sell your "used" products on eBay, you're just as bad as a pirate. This is why they love DRM-protected digital distribution - not only can they charge more than the equivalent boxed product (because bandwidth costs more than diesel and cardboard), but they can put mechanisms in place to prevent you from selling it (whether or not you have a legal right to do so). But that's maybe a whole different discussion and I don't want to derail this thread.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

If you rent something then there is usually a specific time period that you rent it for. In the case of downloaded music, DVD's or whatever I have never noticed anything about how long you can rent the item for so based on that point what happens if you lose a load of music or other material due to a computer fault ? Will they replace it for free ? Most unlikely but why should you pay again if there is no time period on the music or DVD you have rented ?
Some people will keep copies but making copies to my knowledge is illegal. Not making a copy could prove to be expensive and some items may be irreplaceable so it's a catch 22 situation.
I Know what I do, what you do may or may not be the same,  depends on your own personal opinion. Smiley
Community Veteran

There was a case recently where someone lost their smartphone which was replaced by their insurer.  The insurer would not pay for any music on the phone.
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

You pay for MP3's.
You transfer it to hard disk.
So it belongs to you.
My local library has a nasty digital library.
So I download a DRM book, I remove the DRM and transfer the book to hard disk.
In mitigation, we are talking about Barnet Council who plan to privatise most of their services for the next 10 years!

kmilburn
Grafter

The snag is,  'they' want it both ways, we don't own it but license it,  however,  if we lose/damage our copy then we have to buy a new copy to the same thing we've already licensed before!
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

I've never knowingly bought/accepted anything with unremovable DRM.  Cheesy